• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MUZZLELOADER REGULATION CHANGE NOW OFFICIAL

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I got this today from MassWildlife and I thought I would pass it along. I am glad that they got this in place for the season this year.

Bob

A regulation change allowing deer hunters to use a hinge or break-open action muzzleloader during the primitive firearms season for deer has officially been enacted and will be in effect for the 2011 deer season. Previously, this type of muzzleloader was prohibited from use during primitive firearms deer season. The 2011 Primitive Firearms season for deer begins on December 12 and ends on December 31. Deer hunters are reminded that all blackpowder guns used during this season must load from the muzzle. After a review by the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and a Public Hearing held in the spring, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board approved the regulation change in April of 2011. The regulatory change became official when it was published in the Massachusetts Register and the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR) by the Secretary of the Commonwealth this summer.

I got this today from MassWildlife and I thought I would pass it along. I am glad that they got this in place for the season this year.

Bob

A regulation change allowing deer hunters to use a hinge or break-open action muzzleloader during the primitive firearms season for deer has officially been enacted and will be in effect for the 2011 deer season. Previously, this type of muzzleloader was prohibited from use during primitive firearms deer season. The 2011 Primitive Firearms season for deer begins on December 12 and ends on December 31. Deer hunters are reminded that all blackpowder guns used during this season must load from the muzzle. After a review by the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and a Public Hearing held in the spring, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board approved the regulation change in April of 2011. The regulatory change became official when it was published in the Massachusetts Register and the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR) by the Secretary of the Commonwealth this summer.

I'm a little confused, does this take effect in 2011? Anybody got any good recommendations on a muzzleloader? I've been thinking about getting one for a little bit and this might push me over the edge.

Well there are 2 big advantages: 1 - Options. Currently there are only a few muzzleloaders that were MA legal because of the hinge restriction. Now MA residents have a tremendous amount of new guns to choose from. 2 - Cleaning and removing loads. With guns like the Omega, the action drops down in order to get to the plug. This is a royal PIA to both clean the rifle and remove a load that wasn't shot. This is a great change!

Terraformer. You could technically load from the breech but you want the powder and bullet to sit as close to the primer hole as possible. So even if you loaded from the breech, you're still going to throw the ram rod down the barrel. Its faster and easier to just drop the pellets and bullet in from the barrel and drive it home in 1 step.

I'm a little confused, does this take effect in 2011? Anybody got any good recommendations on a muzzleloader? I've been thinking about getting one for a little bit and this might push me over the edge.

yeah, get a replica of a real one. in-lines are just totally gay. So are stainless steel TC-hawkens.

pedersoli is nice. Middlesex village in Nh has nice ones too.

.54Cal or greater. Dont bother with .45cal, they foul too quick and become a pain int he A**

Flintlocks are awesome and fun, but rain is a pain in the A**. Go with a percussion one. Or check dixiegunworks.com, they have some that can be converted (in less than 10min) from flintlock to percussion, by just changing the lock. So you can use whichever you like, whenever you like it.

Also, get the real black powder in Kittery Trading Post. Thats the true smell of freedom. [grin]

if you are near Plymouth, MA, PM me and i will let you shoot my Pedersoly 1857 Mauser.

Last edited:
This makes no sense. Can it load from the breach or not?

You really wouldn't load an inline break open muzzleloader from the breach....muzzle loading it is the correct way.

Now, to unload it without firing you can pull the breach plug out and unload it. Which is convient and nice.

Glad we are out of the dark ages with this.......I've got an Encore I can use for this now....

Back
Top Bottom