• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzleloader Hunting

Palladin

NES Member
Not sure if this has been covered.....I have a T/C Hawken, 45cal, plan on deer hunting next week.

For those of you who have used one, what is your procedure at the day's end? Fire off the round or remove the nipple and soak it down?

I load it at the beginning of the season and I tape the barrel with electrical tape. It stays charged until the end of the season or it is fired. I always hunt with fresh cap. At the end of the hunt the cap I used is discarded. Caps are cheap and opportunities can be few.

Bob

Well, for legal purposes, it's "unloaded" when there is no cap on the nipple.

What is the practical downside of leaving it charged, but uncapped, if you're going out again? If the gun is stored in a dry space, would you expect the charge to get damp?

Either way, you have a mess to clean up - either a soaked charge, or a dirty bore.

Well, for legal purposes, it's "unloaded" when there is no cap on the nipple.

What is the practical downside of leaving it charged, but uncapped, if you're going out again? If the gun is stored in a dry space, would you expect the charge to get damp?

Either way, you have a mess to clean up - either a soaked charge, or a dirty bore.

The only practical downside I have heard about is from bringing it inside into a warm environment. The transition can cause the charge to collect moisture; or so I have been told. It makes sense to me but has never been an issue for me.

Some people tell me that they secure their ML in a locked garage or trunk to prevent the warm/cold transition.

I have hunted with a percussion ML for many years and I have never had a problem but I used Goex which is a real black powder and is less hydroscopic than the substitute powders.

This is my first year using a modern inline and I will continue my past practice of leaving it charged until it is fired or the season ends. I actually charged mine prior to the shotgun season this year as I had just cleaned it after a range trip.

Bob

I leave mine in my car all season. Charged and uncapped (TC Impact, Blackhorn 209 powder). From what I understand, the moisture buildup is less of a concern with that powder, but I didn't really want to take a chance. Fired fine when I emptied it last Sunday (I used it for RI's shotgun season too).

I leave mine in my car all season. Charged and uncapped (TC Impact, Blackhorn 209 powder). From what I understand, the moisture buildup is less of a concern with that powder, but I didn't really want to take a chance. Fired fine when I emptied it last Sunday (I used it for RI's shotgun season too).

Same here Just remove the 209 primer when I leave the woods. Still got the 2012 unlucky bullet waiting for an oppertunity next week before I go back to the bow for the rest of Jan.
Dave

It all depends on the day for me. My hunting buddies and I push, crawl, jump and climb through a lot of nasty shit trying to flush deer. A few times at the end of a long day of hunting sun up to sun down, I'll just fire the round at a safe backstop and clean the whole gun when I get home. This way I know my next round will be a brand new bullets, pellets and cap. Other days, if it hasn't been too damp out or if I haven't fallen into any sink holes/ muddy ditches I'll just pull the cap, toss it and leave the bullet and pellets in for next time.

Back
Top Bottom