Muzzle Energy Calculator - With a Twist

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I got tired of Googling every time I wanted to calculate muzzle energy. I would've bookmarked a site but I could never find one that was exactly what I wanted.

Instead, I found one that was close, modified it, and put it on one of my sites. You can try it out here:

http://www.vintagepistols.com

My little original contribution is something I call the "Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient".

This Coefficient is calculated by multiplying energy in foot pounds by projectile cross-sectional area in square inches, and then normalizing the result so that standard Nato M882 9mm Ball ammo (0.355" diameter, 112 gr, 1263 fps) is equal to 100 on the scale.

This measure is a pretty good predictor of handgun "knockdown" performance when using FMJ/TMJ bullets. This would probably be useless for rifle bullets at a rifle velocities.

Don't rely on this as a predictor of cartridge effectiveness because that's impossible to predict (and I don't feel like going out and shooting a bunch of French goats). Penetration, expansion, and a host of other factor are, quite literally, left out of this equation.

I do believe it is useful though. By almost all real-world accounts, the .45 ACP ball cartridge is a better man stopper than the Nato 9mm cartridge. Yet, if you rely on energy alone, the Nato 9mm (112 gr @ 1263 fps - 397 ft/lbs of energy) has more energy than the old .45 (230gr @ 850 fps - 369 ft/lbs of energy). Therefore, energy alone can't be relied upon to predict "stopping power, so another factor must at work. I propose that in this case at least, "size matters".

Try it out and let me know what you think. (By the way, a typical 12 gauge slug is .729" in diameter and weighs 437 grains, and travels at 1300 fps).

Mods- Feel free to move this if you think it's in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Energy (foot pounds): 1934
Sectional Density: .286
Energy x Sectional Density: 838
Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient* 965%

Hornady 500 S&W Magnum 500 GR FP XTP
Measured 1320 fps about 12" from the muzzle out of a 4" barrel.
That was the maximum reading for 5 shots.

With: Hornady 500 S&W 300 GR EVOLUTION
Max fps was 1752 (lowest was 1605 and others were all less than 1650, so I'm not real confident of this reading) However...

Energy (foot pounds): 2045
Sectional Density: .171
Energy x Sectional Density: 351
Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient* 1020%

WOOT!

Nice picture of the Beretta 1935 there. I've got one that my father-in-law brought back with him from Rome in '45. He got it from a case of unfired ones in Il Duce's headquarters building, which ended up being his office building after they occupied Rome.

Ken

Nice picture of the Beretta 1935 there. I've got one that my father-in-law brought back with him from Rome in '45. He got it from a case of unfired ones in Il Duce's headquarters building, which ended up being his office building after they occupied Rome.
Ken

Nice! The one in the photo is mine. It's a really well made little pistol that is very heavy duty for its caliber.

A fast pitched softball is twice as deadly as a 500 S&W.

Energy is all but useless in determining lethality / effectiveness of a handgun bullet.

A fast pitched softball is twice as deadly as a 500 S&W.

Energy is all but useless in determining lethality / effectiveness of a handgun bullet.

I intended the Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient to apply to handgun bullets only, but I'll play along...

According to the Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient, a fast pitched softball has (maximum) 4.84 times the knockdown power of a 500 S&W. Think of it this way, if you were wearing a kevlar vest that would not be penetrated by a .500 S&W, then a softball at 100 mph would hurt about 5 times more than the bullet.

You are absolutely right about the enrgy thing, at "only" 136 ft/lbs, the 100 MPH softball - which would probably knock you right down or even kill you if it hit you in the head or chest - has similar energy to a .32 ACP. Energy is not a good predictor of "knockdown" performance or lethality.

Just for the record, I'm putting "knockdown" in quotes because it is not meant to be taken literally.

I intended the Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient to apply to handgun bullets only, but I'll play along...

According to the Handgun FMJ Knockdown Coefficient, a fast pitched softball has (maximum) 4.84 times the knockdown power of a 500 S&W. Think of it this way, if you were wearing a kevlar vest that would not be penetrated by a .500 S&W, then a softball at 100 mph would hurt about 5 times more than the bullet.

You are absolutely right about the enrgy thing, at "only" 136 ft/lbs, the 100 MPH softball - which would probably knock you right down or even kill you if it hit you in the head or chest - has similar energy to a .32 ACP. Energy is not a good predictor of "knockdown" performance or lethality.

Just for the record, I'm putting "knockdown" in quotes because it is not meant to be taken literally.

I know that, you know, that I know, that you know, what I'm talking about. [wink]

I just wanted other folks to realize that energy is not the determining factor (or even considering factor) on terminal bullet performance.

Back
Top Bottom