• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

muzzle brake vs flash hider

I guess I had it drilled into my head at my LTC class about "intent" in the law. I'm thinking of rifles like a Sig 556, M&P-15, etc...the "MA compliant" models of which appear always have smooth barrel ends. Are any sold with a permanently attached/welded muzzle brake?

If people are doing this all over the state, that's what I want to know. And is there a 1-sentence explanation for how a permanent muzzle brake (pick the FSC556) safely maneuvers either the letter and the spirit of the MA AWB law and its likely interpretations?

And this evil feature isn't half as stupid as the "adjustable stock".

I guess I had it drilled into my head at my LTC class about "intent" in the law. I'm thinking of rifles like a Sig 556, M&P-15, etc...the "MA compliant" models of which appear always have smooth barrel ends. Are any sold with a permanently attached/welded muzzle brake?

Actually, yes. Buy any Bushmaster or DPMS and it'll probably have either a brake on it or a smooth barrell. A -metric ton- of the Bushmaster and DPMS carbines all deemed MA legal have brakes mounted on them. It's actually difficult to buy a 16" gun in MA with a lightweight barrel that DOESN'T have a brake on it.

BTW some firearms instructors in MA are FOS, so you gotta take everything you hear with a grain of salt and make your own decisions. There is a lot of alarmist BS out there. There are a lot of gun owners in MA that wander around obeying imaginary, fake laws that have no basis in
reality in MGL or the US Code.

If people are doing this all over the state, that's what I want to know. And is there a 1-sentence explanation for how a permanent muzzle brake (pick the FSC556) safely maneuvers either the letter and the spirit of the MA AWB law and its likely interpretations?

And this evil feature isn't half as stupid as the "adjustable stock".

The MA AWB is based off the expired federal one, however, such technical definitions are not codified into MGL... MGL only, on paper, accepts the base level definitions of what constitutes an AW. The FSC-556 passes what would have been the federal standards, more than likely... basically, end of discussion, as long as you have it affixed to the gun correctly.

Not to mention, MA has yet to define what a flash suppressor is, under MGL, so its either accept the fed interpretation or that the charge would be dropped due to no definition, or no way of testing for it. There's no case law on the issue, either. So far the AW charges people have either sucked for them whole hog or they got dropped.... no "technical" discussions have occurred in the courtroom yet in MA. (I could be wrong about this, and if I am, I'd love to see it...)

-Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. The fear of course is that without a MA standard, then the standard becomes anything that "looks" a flash suppressor (and to my eye the FSC-556 looks more flash suppressor than muzzle brake...think 50 BMG...and also claims some suppression). But in any case it sounds as though a post-ban black rifle with brake/compensator will not stick out in a crowd.

right off there website....

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces. See the BATFE document

Except for that MA is not bound by BATFE decisions. It certainly gives you some firepower if you ever need to defend yourself in court.

Back
Top Bottom