Musings with Para USA

The fact that Para USA is willing to put up with the AG's BS and do business in this state is greatly appreciated.

After lengthy searches of this site, 1911.org and others I wasn't able to ascertain if my new-to-me P12-45 really did come with pre-ban hi-cap mags. They're factory black, but no markings at all.

I gave Para USA a call.

"Sir, if your magazines are blued or black, they are pre-ban."

"Thank You very much. Have a great day."

Thanks to Para USA for doing business here. Thanks to their staff for being speedy and polite.

Last edited:
They gave you the answer that was best for you and didn't go into detail. It is the burden of the state to prove your mags are not pre-ban and not for you to prove they are. If Para's line is black blue are pre-ban then just go with it.
If there is no date stamp or code on your mags and Para makes black blue mags now and also made black blue mags pre-ban how would any one be able to tell which are which?
I am not a big fan of Para products however the response you got from them was great.
Thank you Para.

They gave you the answer that was best for you and didn't go into detail. It is the burden of the state to prove your mags are not pre-ban and not for you to prove they are. If Para's line is black blue are pre-ban then just go with it.

That is exactly what I intend to do.

Last edited:
Most manufacturers do not want to get stuck citing laws pertaining to a particular state as it would be legally binding for them. They usually spout the de facto MA=evil routine and leave it at that. I'm surprised you even got them to admit blue mags were preban. I wonder what about all the 'new' blue mags out there. So...according to Para, all blue mags are preban. Interesting.

I have a 14-45 and have lots of blue (real preban) mags. The only nickle one I have is the 10rd that came with the gun.

Its not Para USA's responsibility to provide you with legal advice. Like you said, the magazines are unmarked, so there is no way to know for 100% certain when they were made. The law is unenforceable. Don't commit a crime with your gun and nobody will ever question you.

Its not Para USA's responsibility to provide you with legal advice. Like you said, the magazines are unmarked, so there is no way to know for 100% certain when they were made. The law is unenforceable. Don't commit a crime with your gun and nobody will ever question you.

And with some very rare exceptions, this is pretty much gospel.

Actually, the rep seems to be correct.

Check out their mags available for order.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_magazines.php.

Their prebans are blued/black, their post-bans are nickel. In fact, that's the same with the two Paras I have experience with. +1 to Para for building a massive pile of preban mags prior to the ban. My dad's LDA LTD has blued preban mags. My Nite-Tac has nickeled 10 rounders.

Seems to be a reliable indicator that we have all been unaware of.

Why do some of the people on this forum have to poke a sleeping dog with a stick? You don't think your mags are pre-ban - shut your mouth and either live with it or get rid of them. Why go on a forum that is possibly read by the Man and broadcast that you might be wrong. Passing info that you learned is okay - making statements and saying things that might put you in jeopardy isn't the smartest thing to do...

Joe R.

Actually, the rep seems to be correct...

Their prebans are blued/black, their post-bans are nickel. In fact, that's the same with the two Paras I have experience with. +1 to Para for building a massive pile of preban mags prior to the ban. My dad's LDA LTD has blued preban mags. My Nite-Tac has nickeled 10 rounders.

Seems to be a reliable indicator that we have all been unaware of.

Wow that is definitely news, and good news at that! I never bothered to shop for postban highcaps so I never knew what they looked like. I just assumed they currently made both blue and Nickle mags. Now I know.

Why do some of the people on this forum have to poke a sleeping dog with a stick? You don't think your mags are pre-ban - shut your mouth and either live with it or get rid of them. Why go on a forum that is possibly read by the Man and broadcast that you might be wrong. Passing info that you learned is okay - making statements and saying things that might put you in jeopardy isn't the smartest thing to do...

Joe R.

You got me all wrong then. For me it isn't a sleeping dog. I honestly didn't know if there was a proper answer, and I really didn't want to throw more money into mags only to find out later I should have gotten off my arse and done a little research first. As far as I can tell only one person on the WWW ever bothered to go to the source. I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth myself. I called Para.

I got an answer. I am happy with the answer. I tried to pass on the info I got from the manufacturer to fellow shooters.

Last edited:
You got the answer that you were looking for...for the most part. I just don't think that it is smart to " broadcast " this out on the forum that can be used if they wanted to ever make an example out of someone. Realizing that they haven't tried this yet is probably okay but why take the chance? They know when they look here that we're not the local book club. It would be better to keep this to yourself or use the PM to ask someone here you could trust. You can pass out the info you find to the group without making it personal ( to yourself, not the others.)

Joe R.

In the interest of forum harmony I have voluntarily done an edit.

No hard feelings here, but if a mod or admin following this thread wishes to tweak or edit/delete further, I will support it- just please PM me with some detail.

I own a nice little Para, and wouldn't swap it out for anything, 'cept maybe the right Colt........or maybe a Sig.......or........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom