• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MRA Woburn Sunday Action Matches Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man WTH. [sad2]
So bummed reading this but it doesn't really surprise me. I remember the snickers and off comments from the " upper echelon " years back. I'll always remember all the great guys I meet down there that got me into shooting. Good times. Shit remember doing little 3 gun matches, ICORE, Man on man?
Thanks Rich, Ed, Jeff, John, Zeke, Dave's, Paul and all the rest.

Soooooo..... What are they going to do with all the equip? Clean out that space and install a cappuccino station?
No, not as nice as that. They are probably going to install racks and stocks and use it as a place to perform water-boarding members who get out of line.

Wow, I can't believe these are no longer.... I started shooting at MRA many moons ago and because of these Sunday and Monday night matches I got interested in shooting. I can't believe you were running them for all these years and thanks for many awesome days of shooting fun.

When I started in 1990 it was bowling pins...which took me to IPSC and Steel. I have since been shooting High Power. But the program got me into competitive shooting. That doesn't exist at MRA, unless you consider the "cheap rifle of the month" match, a skill or just luck.
The board is mostly made up of instructors (they don't really shoot, some don't even own guns)...but they instruct...at MRA, on their own (at MRA)...its a means to add to ones income.
At the end of the day, there might be a match or two, quietly advertised, as to not have any competition or what worse an opinion that differs from the command central.
All the true shooters have left or been greatly demoralized and the blasters will take over.

Charliet, I'd like to know when this golden age of "true shooters" was that you refer to. As you're well aware MRA's 100/200 yd range is not suitable for large, or even medium, scale high power events. You sound as if you think MRA could be doing all,sorts of things but chooses not to because of some conspiracy by the current BoD. But oh how the memory fades with time. Because if you'll remember MRA never ran matches like those at Reading due to range limitations. And it was that way when you were president too. MRA's range is six positions wide compared to Reading's 15 positions. Due to the wall and culvert tubes pair firing is totally impractical vs Readings wide open, unobstructed range that can accommodate up to thirty shooters at one time. Maybe that's why back when you were president we used to shoot all the major high power events over at Reading and did practices, and those "cheap gun of the month" matches that you look down your nose at now, at MRA?

You say we don't have the same level of competitive shooters as we used to. If you'll remember, it was you that used to drive the HPR teams the most. And who was the captain of the Smallbore team? And who was it that was at all the action matches helping to push those along? But then you left.

As for the directors not shooting, you obviously have forgotten the work that they do. If I were a director my shooting would take a huge slow down as well. It's the same thing that happens to mechanics for example, they work on everybody's car all day long and by the end of the day they don't want to be bothered working on their own unless they have to. After putting in hours and hours of volunteer work to make the club run I don't blame them if they don't want to shoot. I just thank them for doing all the crap that I don't want to do so the doors stay open. Sure, when people are new to the sport, especially younger people, they have all sorts of energy and enthusiasm. But it's hard to keep that level of energy going for a long time. That's why there are only a few with that kind of dedication. But even those people can burn out, and if they do they have to be replaced. No hard feelings, it's just the way life happens. Thanks for your service and we'll be here when you want to come back.

So there's a problem in the action shooting, whose fault is that? If the match schedule is getting thin then whose was the chair of the committee running it? Isn't it their responsibility to drive the program? Right now as I see it the problem is someone didn't get their way, decided to throw a tantrum, took their ball and went home, and then turned around and whined about it looking for a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. If people want matches to continue then rather than complain why not step up and volunteer to help make it happen? Ask to show you can run the line or file the paperwork that needs to be done. I had no interest in shooting the rifle pin match yesterday, but because they were short handed I volunteered to give up my Sunday afternoon to help run the match so that it could happen. I'm not looking for anything out of it. I did it simply so that people that wanted to shoot the match could still enjoy it. Iow, don't bitch and moan, step up and do something to help make things better.

Problems with the rules of a particular game or event? I belong to three different clubs and they all have different rules that I have to abide by. If I don't like them (and in some cases I don't) then I'm free to go somewhere else where I do like the rules. And that's why I belong to three different clubs. Each one does a particular event a certain way that I prefer. But that doesn't mean that these clubs are deaf either. All of them are willing to listen to proposals to make changes. I may not always get what I want and I may have to wait what I think is an unreasonable amount of time for an answer but as was said earlier, if I don't like it, the door swings both ways and I can leave any time I choose.

Hey Dragon2115.....
Typical MRA justification and company line. But more to your point about Action Shooting....because obviously you do not have a clue based on you statement. The Action Shooting chair made it well known (myself) that it was the intention to step down as chair. 5 active action shooter were recommended, which the BOD outright ignored...Have a response to that, doubtful.
As far as throwning a tantrum, that is doubtful. You would have known that if you had ever bothered to show up at a match. The people who participated know the real truth.
Your pathetic dissertation, while very long, sounds like you have an axe to grind. Whining? Please.....

Oh, and just because it is the gentlemanly thing to do, thank you for stepping up and helping out at the match. I am sure the match director and participants were grateful.

Do I have a response? Sure. Let me sum the situation up based on what you've just said.

1. You decided to step down from the committee. (Ok fine.)
2. You made a parting recommendation on possible candidates to be your successor. (Also fine.)
3. The Board, for whatever reason, decided to appoint someone else. (It happens.)
4. You're upset about it. (Also fine)
5. You're here complaining about it in what looks like a bid for sympathy. (Not cool)

And if anybody's got an axe to grind here it seems like it's the former MRA president Charliet with that post pretty much disparaging the entire club, and in particular its current leadership. On that I don't know what the beef is/was, but I strongly suggest that everybody just let it go and move on. There's really no need for this.

Do I have a response? Sure. Let me sum the situation up based on what you've just said.

1. You decided to step down from the committee. (Ok fine.)
2. You made a parting recommendation on possible candidates to be your successor. (Also fine.)
3. The Board, for whatever reason, decided to appoint someone else. (It happens.)
4. You're upset about it. (Also fine)
5. You're here complaining about it in what looks like a bid for sympathy. (Not cool)

And if anybody's got an axe to grind here it seems like it's the former MRA president Charliet with that post pretty much disparaging the entire club, and in particular its current leadership. On that I don't know what the beef is/was, but I strongly suggest that everybody just let it go and move on. There's really no need for this.

Ok. Just to clarify your response:
1. After years of being Committee chair I decided to step down. I also volunteered to remain on the committee to help with any transition.
2. I made recommendations for the committee based on the active status of a lot of the members. I did not choose my "successor" He volunteered to take on the responsibility.
3. No since speculating on why the BOD choose the current committee, but it would be an interesting conversation should one ever occur.
4. Upset? Not in the least. I anticipated/ and planned this for quite sometime.
5. Complaining? If you looked at this thread I simply stated the matches were cancelled until further notice. Your bid to try to paint me as a complainer will fail. But it is typical. The people that know me, which is important, know that this is not the case.
Good luck!

Thought I would respond to the "take my ball and go home" comment in a previous post....
I don't know about you, but I always take my ball(s) and go home.... :)

Jim, maybe I was to broad in saying "all the true shooters have left"...okay. I certainly know there still some at MRA. I guess I should have qualified by saying shooters that have some level of classification be it NRA, USPSA...whatever, there cant be many at MRA.
Aside from the politics of why I resigned my seat of about 17yrs. My involvement on the MRA teams was proving to be a bit futile, nobody wanted to shoot regularly and getting people to practice for at lease Eastern Mass was a waste of time...just a lack of interest. Hey I understand everyone interest isn't the same....no problem, that's what I moved on. But I certainly did more than my share of work promoting any of the activities at MRA.

As far as the excuse...."I'm a director...I don't have time to shoot". I'm sorry, that's why you are a leader of a GUN club, leadership SHOULD be shooters. Sure I understand it takes time. But if you are truly committed to a club, then you should be committed to shooting, at some level.
If you own a boat at a slip, and you go to the Yacht Club to socialize...you are not a BOATER. Further, IMHO, your opinions of shooting can come into question, when was the last time you actually did it. I'm not saying everyone needs to be the worlds foremost expert...but have a clue !
I was president for 5 yrs, with a lot of help form other people. During that time I went distinguished and made president 100...I shoot as a director.
I always have to question why does someone choose to spend their time somewhere if they don't take part....is it money...is it the power...is it ego?
As far as "the beef goes" I don't know what happened, but my experience would lend me to believe there is a reason and it has to do with a least one of the three questions above.
I believe most people want to do what right, but there are those who given the chance will sell there integrity for a small discount.

Last edited:
Rich- thanks for doing the work you did. I had the opportunity to shoot there several times and always had fun.

Lugnut,
Thank you for the kudos. The only reason I did it for so long was because of the good people I met, called friends. It was my pleasure. See you on the range!

Massman,

One points 1, 2, and 3, you're right there's no sense speculating. But considering that the club is always looking for volunteers, for them to decline your offer and reject your recommendation I think it's fairly safe to safe you must have ticked a few people off along the way.

And just a note, I didn't say you chose your successor. I said you submitted a recommendation on candidates to be your successor.

Point four is a bit concerning though. The way you worded it makes it sound like you intended for all of this to happen. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

As for complaining. Someone says in the thread, let's raise a toast to the death of action shooting at MRA and your response was, cheers. You could have either said nothing or you could have said something to the effect of, it's not the death of action shooting just a short pause until it gets reorganized.

But it's not just purely this thread as I'm sure you're aware. You're posting in the Mass Rifle Association thread that the board is on a mission to chastise and persecute two directors over ridiculous and frivolous charges and to come to the meeting to get a taste of the real flavor of the club. Put it all together and it sure sounds like upset and complaining to me. So how much are these things connected?

Charlie,

Maybe?!? You basically insulted all of MRA. If anything I think you owe them an apology.

As for running the club, one treasurer and one secretary that rarely shoot but that can keep the finances and record keeping so the club won't get shut down if it ever gets audited are worth a hundred "true shooters" any day. It's also interesting that you bring this up because iirc there were more directors on the board that didn't shoot back when you were president than there are now. Do you recall the annual stick-in-the-burm ceremonies opening and closing the outdoor ranges? And there's plenty more. The point being, there were problems when you ran things, there are problems that need to be addressed now, and there will be issues in the future no matter who's running things.

So what if you went distinguish while you were president of the club? It great that you were able to be you must admit, You're one of the rare people that has a family situation that allowed you, to do that. We both know that most people would end up divorced if they tried to do the same thing. Hell, trying to do either one of those alone can be enough to get someone divorced because they require so much time and effort.

But I am glad you exposed the instructor racket that's been going on though. We were all starting to feel guilty giving up a Saturday a month to rake in a whopping $2/hr in dues comp and a couple of slices of pizza just so another group of people could get their licenses here in MA. It's the best kept secret in get-rich-quick schemes ever.

And as for the last time I shot and my opinion on shooting not mattering unless I've reached some threshold you deem worthy quite arrogant and condescending. But since you asked, recently I sighted in a new, to me, Mosin Nagant carbine for an upcoming "cheap rifle of the month" match on Sunday. I've shot smallbore since it started three weeks ago, but that probably doesn't count because it's just a club level league. I shot an IDPA match back on the seventh that I also had to run the line for my squad, I'm a classified IDPA competitor, and if things go well an IDPA certified SO in a couple of months. I took time off from work to spend ten hours waiting to get three minutes to testify in front of the Public Safety Committee hearing against new gun control laws that are being proposed last month? Lisa and I got our state rep to come to MRA and sit down with us to talk about the proposed laws and to let him try shooting for the first time.

Does any of that qualify me to be in the "true shooters" club? However, if a condition of membership is having to look down on other people because for whatever reason they don't shoot enough to classify at something, then I think I'm going to have to decline. I have to say Charlie I'm very disappointed in your attitude toward other shooters. I personally don't care if they're classified or not. As long as they're active supporters of the 2A and the shooting sports in some way, and they're safe when they do shoot, it's all good to me.

But here's the real $64 question, if you disliked MRA enough that you left for a club that better matched what you were looking for (which is fine btw) then why do you care what happens at MRA any more, and especially so much so that you openly insult them on an open forum?

Dragon,
Pretty simple really. Given the animosity on the BOD, I did anticipate something like this happening. Wasn't a stretch. Did I mean any ill will towards the program or MRA. NO. I, and many other with me, and before me, put in to much effort keeping the program alive and active.
The person you refer to as raising a glass is a personal friend and fellow competitor. Enogh said about that.
While I have posted in other areas, nothing posted has been untruthful, nor slanderous. Everything I have said can be backed up by the written word. Funny thing is, you can veil the truth, but you can never hide it.

Last edited:
Massman,

Yeah. But why so much animosity? What did you do to get them so mad at you? Wasn't there anything you could do to calm things down? Like I said, for them to turn down an offer to volunteer from someone experienced in running the program and to disregard their recommendations say holy schiekies batman, they're pissed off.

I am glad to hear that this isn't intentional. If it were I'd say get out and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way. But if this is some kind of misunderstanding then maybe it can still be worked out.

As for who your friend is, It doesn't matter. It's not relevant to the point. The point is your post made it seem like you were agreeing with him. We both know that action shooting will continue at MRA as long as there are people that want to shoot it, people that want to volunteer to run it, and it's done in a safe manner. I don't recall there being any problems with safety so it seems it's just a matter of replacing the folks that want to step down.

I would certainly hope that nothing you've posted is untrue. That would be very disappointing. And as a director that would be especially bad. As in asta-la-bye-bye bad.

Dragon2115,
The animosity exhibited was and still is kind of a mystery to me. Will I extend an olive branch at this point, probalbly not. I was elected by the membership to ask questions and get the best possible outcomes for the club and it's entire membership. Obviously, this is not very popular.
The action shooting program has a perfect safety record. That's the way I found it, and that's they way I left it.
Here's my take. Since I have been on the BOD, I have seen longtime contributing members run off because they have differing opinions. In fact, charliet, a longtime member, BOD member, President,shooter and friend, is a case in point. Does he have a differing opinion based on his years of service? Yes he does. But why is it that everytime he voices his opinions, he his raked through the coals? All this while he still volunteers his time for the benefit of the MRA juniors program.
The list goes on.
It is my hope that the action shooting program continues to introduce shooters to the sport in a safe and enjoyable manner. I may even compete, should my schedule allow it.
Onward and upward, so mode it be....

Dragon2115,
The animosity exhibited was and still is kind of a mystery to me. Will I extend an olive branch at this point, probalbly not. I was elected by the membership to ask questions and get the best possible outcomes for the club and it's entire membership. Obviously, this is not very popular.
The action shooting program has a perfect safety record. That's the way I found it, and that's they way I left it.
Here's my take. Since I have been on the BOD, I have seen longtime contributing members run off because they have differing opinions. In fact, charliet, a longtime member, BOD member, President,shooter and friend, is a case in point. Does he have a differing opinion based on his years of service? Yes he does. But why is it that everytime he voices his opinions, he his raked through the coals? All this while he still volunteers his time for the benefit of the MRA juniors program.
The list goes on.
It is my hope that the action shooting program continues to introduce shooters to the sport in a safe and enjoyable manner. I may even compete, should my schedule allow it.
Onward and upward, so mode it be....

Let's see......how many awards has the club given to action shooters at the annual meetings? Let me count......hmmm.....Oh, yes! Absolutely zero! The majority of the Board votes each and every one of them down.

But the president will give an award to himself, his wife, and some woman who sat at a table in the lobby on Clean-Up Day, waiting for the rest of the workers to finish, so she could go and shoot.

Wow... Just catching up on this thread..
I probably should not even post anything as I am sure someone will try to twist my words.

I think a lot of opinions have been expressed - some I agree with some I don't...

As a former MRA BOD member I can say I understand Charliet's and Massman's comments.
(Btw Charlie is the person that got me into competitive shooting ...thanks Charlie.)

While I was on the Board many of the BOD members appeared to be not "true shooters" or should I say not "Competitive Shooters" (actually practicing and shooting local and major matches).

Every BOD member then was definitely pro gun and most were in the best interest of the Club - but some had and I think some Directors still do have personal agendas - these agendas had/have to do with using MRA range with "guests" for financial gain (teaching on their own for profit at the Club).

I have been a member of MRA for many years - this is the first year that I may not renew my membership. As I mentioned in an earlier post I do see MRA as a shooting club in decline which is evident in the fact that most competitive shooters I know that were members have left and are now shooting at other clubs.

I think a lot of the issues/problems have to do with the management of the club.

I really hope that the MRA Action Shooting program as well as all the other MRA shooting programs continue and bloom - for those who have stepped up with good intentions - I truly hope success for you.

Last edited:
Apology for stating facts...no, I don't think so. There are a lot more people on the Board that don't shoot and you know it...now as I said before I don't expect everyone to shoot competitively...but really wouldn't it nice if those who run the club at least fired a gun once a month. Ask yourself...why are they there?
My point about my shooting was not to boast, it was simply to say, shooting as a director is doable...at whatever level one chooses.
My comment about integrity had nothing to do with those who give up there day to run the safety course, I applaud them, I did it for a while too. My comment was aimed at those who personally benefit from MRA by way of running their own safety course in competition with the very course they "help" with. Why is it, MRA's course used to filled up 2-3 months in advance, and now its barley filling up? Its amazing that they have a lot of "friends" using the range once a month. Everyone knows it goes on...and yet nothing is done about it. Its pretty clear who runs the board and I predict there will be some kind of a vote in the near future allowing "qualified instructors" to teach at MRA for profit.
I put more than my share of effort into MRA and I still put more time in at MRA than a lot of directors do as board members.
I don't know where you got the opinion that I was talking about you, or Lisa, I know you guys shoot.
I have NEVER looked down on anyone at any level of my life...NEVER.
This really got away from the original topic...

Massman,

Well, if it's a mystery to you don't you think the prudent action is to solve that mystery? I mean if you're not wiling to budge then I can't see how this will end any other way than badly. And as for being elected to question the board, I don't remember that being on the ballot so I don't know where you're getting that from.

You say you've seen board members run off because they had differing opinions. Could it be that they left of their own accord because they didn't like it when they failed to convince the rest of the board and didn't like not getting their way? You know as well as I do that the board very rarely agrees on anything by much more than a simple majority. Maybe some people couldn't handle that. There's a reason why I refer to joining the board as " running away with the circus".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom