Moving

jon

I am going to be moving in with a friend of mine in an effort to shorten my commute. Now that I have gotten the rest of my life settled with graduating and starting a new job, i figure its time to shake things up.

I know that I need to send in the change of address form with copies of the front and back of my LTC to the CHSB, and the towns I am moving from and too. I know to keep a copy for my records.

Now will I need to jump through any hoops in the new town? I am moving out of a Green town and into a RED. I have my LTC-A ALP. I have only had it a few months (I have only lived in state a few months.) and I will be out of said RED town by the time I have to renew. But as is said the commute is much better.

While I know legally there are no other hoops to jump through I just wanted to check that these red towns don't have any other BS I have to do.

Send the copies certified mail, return receipt requested. Do not send a photocopy with the change of address notice (just mention the permit number) - it's not reequired, and you'll just be waving the fact that you have an unrestricted permit in front of the licensing official in your new town. It's sort of like driving through NJ with an NRA sticker on your car :).

2. Please make a legible photocopy of both sides (1 copy for each side) of your firearms identification card or
license to carry firearms and attach these copies to this sheet as page # 2 and 3;
Check the statute.

The form that CHSB put together asks for photocopies of both the front and back of your license. There's absolutely nothing in either the statute or the CMRs that requires you to provide such copies, or even to use their form. The last few times my daughter moved she simply sent a letter stating "I'm xxxx, holder of LTC xxxx, and on x/x/xxxx I moved from xxxx to xxxx." That's all that you're required to do.

Ken

I understand that I am not legally obligated but I am trying to minimize the rocking the boat in this new pain in the butt town. I do not have the time or the money to fight the good fight.

Jon, there's NOTHING that the chief in your new town can do to your permit (unless he arrests you, of course); he didn't issue your permit, the chief in your old town did. Follow the letter of the law: send a COA to the chiefs and the CHSB and leave the copy out of it.

I've moved four times since I moved into MA and I've NEVER made a copy of my permit for them. Don't rock the boat, and don't start a fight - just do what the law requires you to do. AND NOTHING MORE.

whether or not he can do anything to my permit is one thing, but being a torn in my side is a strong possibility. I will look into it further.

Hey, it's your life; do what you want.

But you're being a classic example of the Mass gun owner making up new "laws".

+1 on doing only what is required. By doing more, it is you who is rocking the boat.

I would be following the directions on the change of address form. hence not rocking the boat.

This is akin to do you go along with the illegal demands (letters of reference, letter of purpose, range test, etc.) of various departments or fight them.

now to reiterate my question. Does anyone know of any certain red towns harrassing (illegally) new residents about their LTCs.

specifically ones west of Boston right by 128.

I just want to minimize my exposure. think smart, act stupid and all that.

Police have much better things to do than bother you. Especially in a city of any size.

Enjoy your permit and get out well before renewal time.

As for the notification, do what the law requires. Just because the EOPS has a form does NOT require you to use it. In fact, the law says in Chapter 140, Section 131 exactly this:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

All that is required is something like:

--------------------

I <state your name> am holder of (LTC\FID) <insert license number> and give notice that I am changing my address from:

OLD ADDRESS

to:

NEW ADDRESS

-------------------------

As for rocking the boat, your analogy is not correct. The 'extras' some people have to provide has been ruled in court as part of the License Authority's power in regards to determining a "suitable person". Nothing in the law or in any ruling gives the EOPS any power to create a change of address form. If such a power were to be intended, it would be stated. The fact that they DO have such a form is a 'service', not a requirement.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that this blanket requirement to register your address with the state is required of NO OTHER citizen of Massachusetts. Even Convicted Sex Offenders get to go to court and be declared a danger before they are required to do this.

CHSB also handed out "gun registration forms" where we could all list all our guns on it. They would put it in their database "for our own protection"! They were distributed to PDs. Don't know in what quantity or how many sheep filled them out and sent them in. They will be happy to enter all your data. If you send your SSN and DNA sample, I'd bet they would keep that too.

Doesn't mean that any of this stuff has any basis in LAW! Just bureaucrats doing what they do best, justify their existence with databases up the ying-yang.

Only do what is required. I don't remember what I had to do when I moved (Green [Lee] to Red [Pittsfield]) but Chief Glidden gave me all the paperwork and told me EXACTLY what to do so I wouldn't have any problems. When I asked the Red town first, 2 officers at the station told me that my permit was null and void as soon as I moved into the Red! Thankfully that was not true. I will be out of the Red before it expires unless I get the job I'm hoping for (one of Pittsfield's finest).

Well

I am just doing a letter. The laziness in me helped the decision

But All i want to know is if there is any history of any of the PD's trying to be a pain in the ass. I wouldn't put it above this particular one and once its all taken care of I will explain.

There is nothing your new PD can do unless YOU commit a crime. This state sucks but I think you are being paranoid. Just do what is required, no more no less and you will be all set. The PD is not going to be a "thorn" in your side; they have other things to worry about like restricting those residents who apply in-town.

Your thinking to hard about this.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom