• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Western Mass - a few questions

Hey everyone, I am moving to Western Massachusetts (Easthampton) in a few weeks. I think I've got a decent idea on what I'm going to do, but I wanted to confirm a few things. I have been fortunate to live in states where you generally don't have to worry about anything unless you're looking to carry, and that's obviously going to change.
I have a handgun that I received from my father in Texas, which I took with me when I moved to Georgia. I'm now going to be moving from Georgia to Massachusetts.
Right now, I don't take this gun out, either to a range or to carry. It sits unloaded in a safe at my home. My impression is that to continue doing this (just owning in a safe at home), I will need to obtain a LTC?
If that is the case, I will need to make a few decisions. While I'm not really a cannabis consumer here, as I don't take those kind of legal risks, I'd like to have the option to consume it there where it is (state) legal. I don't ever intend to either carry the gun outside of my home or consume cannabis products outside of my home (or to consume them regularly), so I don't need to worry about being in trouble for being out and about with both, but I also don't want to lie on a federal form.

If all of that is correct, it seems like my best bet is to return the handgun to my parents for now, either by shipping through a store here or by leaving with some family my parents will visit later. I can decide down the road in Massachusetts what I want to do there.

Just wanted to confirm with everyone here that I understand things correctly. Still can't believe you have to go through these hoops just to possess one in a safe at home. Thank you all

You should edit your question to the sole issue of "how can I legally bring this sentimental firearm to Mass with me" and NOTHING else.

You CAN bring firearms with you when you move into Mass. They MUST arrive WITH you (transported under FOPA rules) and you MUST immediately apply for an LTC. If you're not currently a "prohibited person" in any way, you shouldn't have any trouble getting one, but you should consider carefully what you put on the app and/or say to the licensing officer. There's a class to take, too. Find GOAL - Home and join - that will give you a discount on the class and access to more info and support on this.

If you do this, you will not have to EFA10 (register, for all intents and purposes) the firearm. If you bring it in later, you must transfer it in through an FFL and depending on exactly what it is, that can get complicated, but it's generally not impossible.

Welcome to the site. But really, don't mention anything else especially to your PD. They have zero sense of humor. I'm sure you were kidding, but they won't see it that way.

Be aware that Mass is nothing like Georgia. You should read as much as you can in the Mass Gun Law forum here and other places and research it until your eyes feel like they're parboiled from reading too much. Something absolutely trivial and meaningless in Texas or Georgia might screw up your entire life, if you aren't paying attention.

Nothing will absolve you of the Assault Weapon Ban, so don't bring one [laugh]

(thank God I noticed the typo before... you know who...)

Last edited:
OP: If you want to own a firearm in Mass., you need to get a License To Carry.

Go to the website of the town you're moving to, and get the application, and find out if there are any "extra" requirements.
You will need to take an approved course, as you will need a certificate from said course, to apply. It has to be by a Mass. LTC instructor, out of state won't do (There are other limited work-arounds, but this is the most straightforward).
Once you get your cert, you put in the application.

The other stuff mentioned, in the above posts, is logistics.

@namedpipes covered it well except the part about needing an FFL to bring in a gun you own after moving here.
You can bring anything you own in that isn't covered by the AWB without an FFL but you need to register it within 7 days.
If it comes with you when you move there is no requirement to register (but if you ask a cop they will lie and tell you you have to register everything)

You may have said something about a handgun. If it happens to be semiautomatic, be sure you only bring in 10-round or "preban" >10 round magazines.

Yes, what I meant by "nothing absolves you of the AWB", but I forgot to translate it into language someone from outside of Mass would understand [laugh]

Where's that movie clip "Everything is illegal in Mass".

@namedpipes covered it well except the part about needing an FFL to bring in a gun you own after moving here.
You can bring anything you own in that isn't covered by the AWB without an FFL but you need to register it within 7 days.
If it comes with you when you move there is no requirement to register (but if you ask a cop they will lie and tell you you have to register everything)

Unless the law has changed, there is NO requirement to register it in 7 days (and they couldn't anyway, not having an LTC).

Provided they bring it in at the time they move to Mass and obtain an LTC, they can possess it at home, safely stored (but not carry it until the LTC is issued).

There is no requirement to "register" them later, but it is subject to AWB.

Anything they bought after becoming a resident of course, has to be registered.

Unless the law has changed, there is NO requirement to register it in 7 days (and they couldn't anyway, not having an LTC).

Provided they bring it in at the time they move to Mass and obtain an LTC, they can possess it at home, safely stored (but not carry it until the LTC is issued).

There is no requirement to "register" them later, but it is subject to AWB.

Anything they bought after becoming a resident of course, has to be registered.
Concur
My point is that you don't need to transfer anything you own at an FFL to bring it in the state.

Ah, gotcha.

Right. No FFL is involved when you move into the state with firearms. My comment on FFLs applied to "later", after you've become a Mass resident.
You don't even have to do that if you owned them prior to moving to Mass
Or, if you have dual residency you don't need an FFL but do need to file an eFA10.

OP: A little clarification/translation of what Pastera and Namedpipes are saying:

eFA-10 : a state "form" (now electronic, previously paper) that records transactions of firearms in Mass. Guy A sells a firearm to Girl B, an eFA-10 needs to be filled out, to record the transfer. Note that when Girl B sells to Guy C, another eFA-10 is needed, and the gun in question shows up in the state's records as belonging to both B and C, and, depending upon how A got it, belonging to A, as well. [rolleyes]

Yeah. FUBAR. The important point is that it's a record of a transaction, not a registration of ownership, so if you own a firearm, and move to Mass with it, you DO NOT need to fill out an eFA-10, as there was no transaction. That's black- letter law, but there are state websites, and personnel that will tell you differently.

If you want to be sure, don't believe me, or anyone else, here....look it up, yourself, or check with a real lawyer that specializes in Mass gun laws. IANAL

I appreciate all the responses. I have been spoiled living in Texas and Georgia, where it's as simple as "my dad gave me this gun so I don't really need to involve any documentation until I want to open or concealed carry and only then do I need to pay attention to the laws"
As I am not a habitual cannabis user currently, I will probably just take it with me to Mass, apply for a LTC to cover my ass, and be able to lawfully claim at the time that I don't use federally illegal substances. Then it can sit unloaded in my safe until I make one decision or another later on.
Thanks again. If you can believe it, I will actually be paying less rent moving from (the expensive part of) Georgia to (the cheap part of) Mass, so I'm very much looking forward to the move.

Welcome to the western Democratic Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

It would be worth reading the posts stickied to the top of this (Mass Laws) subforum. It's not fun, but there are things you need to know. Keep in mind that those threads started a while ago, and some things have changed - but it's a good place to start.

If you're looking for a range, Westfield Sportsman's ( a couple towns south of Easthampton) has a pretty comprehensive facility. There might be other ranges nearer, (Easthampton Fish & Game for instance), but I haven't been there to say what they're like. There really aren't many commercial ranges in MA, most of them are clubs & require membership. There's a fair number of shops - Google Map of New England Gun Stores - in the area. I hope the move works out for you.

IANAL.
Good advice here, so good I would read it all twice.
WRT the pot thing, my .02: I haven't touched the stuff since I was 18, I'm now 52. Now that it is legal in MA, it would at least nice/neat to go out and buy some to try it as the state has permitted me to do so now. However Federally it is still illegal....and I know the state records all transactions at these dispensaries.....and question 11e on the form 4473 asks me if I am an unlawful user of marijauna, therefore, I chose not to partake in exercising my now lawful right in MA to purchase the still Federally illegal narcotic. 🤓
I don't know of any gun owners here in MA that are partrons of these dispensaries, perhaps they are reading this and can tell us their experiences. 🤓

oh, and welcome to Western Mass!

Thanks again. If you can believe it, I will actually be paying less rent moving from (the expensive part of) Georgia to (the cheap part of) Mass, so I'm very much looking forward to the move.
My Son lives in Easthampton. It is one of the most liberal shitholes in the State. High taxes, trannies running wild, rainbows on every corner, and the mandatory BLM sign out front.

Back
Top Bottom