• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving Towns - Procedure to Lift Restriction?

I currently live in Cambridge and received an LTC last year with a target and hunting restriction. I wrote what I thought to be a very professional letter to the police chief requesting removal but was told to submit the same letter when I renew in ~4 years. I am now loving to Brookline for work (I know) and am wondering who "owns" my LTC now. Would it be possible to go to the Brookline police chief with the same letter or does Cambridge still "own" my license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cambridge still owns your LTC until the expiration date. If Cambridge is willing to expire the license early, then Brookline can issue you a new one.

I currently live in Cambridge and received an LTC last year with a target and hunting restriction. I wrote what I thought to be a very professional letter to the police chief requesting removal but was told to submit the same letter when I renew in ~4 years. I am now loving to Brookline for work (I know) and am wondering who "owns" my LTC now. Would it be possible to go to the Brookline police chief with the same letter or does Cambridge still "own" my license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LOL you’re just going from bad to absolute worst so there’s nothing to do here because you’re never getting unrestricted in Brookline.

ETA: Cambridge could easily unrestrict your license while it’s still in its existing term, though. They control till expiration.

I am now loving to Brookline for work (I know) and am wondering who "owns" my LTC now.

Did you send your notice you moved letter to Cambridge and Brookline and Criminal History Board? It must be in certified mail. Absolute starting point. Having lived in Cambridge in the past for @ 12 years I don't think they will expire your license early. Best of luck. Matt

Change of Address Information​

Click here for the official MA change of address form with instructions.

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 129B states:

A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Last edited:
Did you send you moving letter to Cambridge and Brookline?
And the state; as in the quoted statute.

It must be in certified mail.
5kvuqw.jpg

Issuing PD owns the license until expiration. The only way to remove restrictions is for the issuing PD to expire it and reissue without restrictions. Doesn’t sound like Cambridge wants to do this for you. Brookline doesn’t own the license until you renew, and you won’t get an unrestricted license in Brookline if you couldn’t get one in Cambridge.

Everyone is correct.

Cambridge will not lift your restrictions, they've made that clear. You'll need to get them to expire it.

THEN, you'll need to move literally anyplace other than Brookline. Because they'll treat your rights even worse than Cambridge does. From what NES has said over the years, you'd have a better shot even in Boston.

Brookline is the worst.

Back
Top Bottom