Moving to NH

Hi,
I live in Mass and have a few pistols and rifles. I'm thinking of moving to NH and was wondering what I need to do to make it all legal as far as getting a NH license and transferring the firearms.
Any info will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Put them in your trunk and drive north. That ought to do it.

If you want to carry concealed, you need a Pistol & Revolver permit; I think it's $20 for 4 years or something like that. If not, don't worry about it. Enjoy the Londonderry air!

Come on up!

I live in Mass and have a few pistols and rifles. I'm thinking of moving to NH and was wondering what I need to do to make it all legal as far as getting a NH license and transferring the firearms. Any info will be much appreciated.
No "transferring" of the firearms; New Hampshire doesn't care even if Massachusetts does. If you have an LTC in MA, make sure you file a change of address form with MA or you lose any chance of getting a MA (restricted) LTC-A again.

If you have anything in your collection that is pre-ban or isn't on the approved list, please consider selling it to another MA resident before you move.

The Pistol and Revolver license is $10, it's good for 4 years, unless they've gone up recently, I renewed in Dec.

In many towns you can download the application online and mail or take it to the Police Station. Once submitted they have 14 days to approve or deny. As NH is a "Shall Issue" state, you must be a prohibited person to be denied.

What in gods name makes you think NH cares what firearms you own/bring in. You dont need any license to simply own and even possess (not necessarily carry concealed) in the vast majority of states in this country, NH included.

Take off the MA blinders and relax.

lighten up, the guy was making sure so he didn't get in trouble. Some guys in mass have been so ""housebroken" the concept of freedom doesn't come easy

Come on up!

No "transferring" of the firearms; New Hampshire doesn't care even if Massachusetts does. If you have an LTC in MA, make sure you file a change of address form with MA or you lose any chance of getting a MA (restricted) LTC-A again.

If you have anything in your collection that is pre-ban or isn't on the approved list, please consider selling it to another MA resident before you move.

Good idea. I will consider this if/when I make the jump.

What in gods name makes you think NH cares what firearms you own/bring in. You dont need any license to simply own and even possess (not necessarily carry concealed) in the vast majority of states in this country, NH included.

Take off the MA blinders and relax.

Bring what ever guns you want to NH, nobody needs to know what/when/where/why and nobody cares. If you want to carry concealed, get the NH "pistol and revolver permit" from your town.

Yup, true story follows . . .

A good friend and former co-worker moved to NH from MA with his guns (including submachine guns) so he went to local PD in NH to ask what he had to do to possess the SMGs up there. They looked at him a bit dumbfounded and told him "just go out and shoot them"!! He told me this story directly a few years ago.

The NH pistol & revolver permit is ONLY used to CCW and nothing else. When you go to buy something they ONLY want to see your NH DL and payment, nothing more.

lighten up, the guy was making sure so he didn't get in trouble. Some guys in mass have been so ""housebroken" the concept of freedom doesn't come easy

True, most here get beaten down. It takes time to get that out of your system if you suddenly have the chains removed from your wrists.

Good luck to the OP, enjoy your new-found freedom.

Kevin_NH said:
make sure you file a change of address form with MA or you lose any chance of getting a MA (restricted) LTC-A again

The poster who said you will never get an unrestricted non res is not entirely correct. People with enough documented "reason" get them all the time and the occasional "average Joe" can pull it off with a convincing enough argument.
So things have gotten better since last year?

Of the NH residents with MA LTCs with whom I've spoken, out of perhaps two dozen guys, just 2 have unrestricted non-resident LTCs; several had been downgraded to "Sporting" since 2010.

I am glad I found this thread, as we are looking to move up to NH soon as well. Hopefully by the end of the year. If not sooner.

Is notifying MA that you moved a requirement? I don't want or need them knowing where I move. I am sure they could find out if they wanted, but I wasn't planning on telling them.

Also, are there places in NH you can't carry?

You do NOT have to let them know where you've gone when moving out of state, however you DO want to send certified letters to the COP and FRB letting them know that you have moved out of State.

That really is only if you ever want or have to move back or want to apply for your non-res CCW
I did and still have the receipts from mine in 2002

Federal buildings, courts and such. Beyond that, I subscribe to concealed is concealed

Thank you.

So when I move I just send a certified letter saying I moved out of state and to cancel my LTC? I do not have to give my new address in NH though, right?

For the certified receipt, the post office will need a return addy to send that to, without looking I don't "think" that is included in what they receive though.

AT the end of the day though, "if" they want to "need" to find you, they have all your info anyway, they'll find you.

For myself at least, that was the least of my concerns, you'll have to make that call for yourself

Thank you.

So when I move I just send a certified letter saying I moved out of state and to cancel my LTC? I do not have to give my new address in NH though, right?

There's an official form somewhere on the MA EOPS website. There are at least two, perhaps three copies that are sent out: One to EOPS in Chelsea, another to the ORIGINAL town CLEO that issued you your license, and your CURRENT town CLEO (if different than the ORIGINAL town.)

No, NH doesn't care. Seriously. Just bring up your guns, ammo, buy some post-ban mags on move day. Nobody cares up here. I know, I was sort of shocked too, but it's the reality on the ground.

There's an official form somewhere on the MA EOPS website. There are at least two, perhaps three copies that are sent out: One to EOPS in Chelsea, another to the ORIGINAL town CLEO that issued you your license, and your CURRENT town CLEO (if different than the ORIGINAL town.)

No, NH doesn't care. Seriously. Just bring up your guns, ammo, buy some post-ban mags on move day. Nobody cares up here. I know, I was sort of shocked too, but it's the reality on the ground.

Government treating responsible adults like adults... What a concept... I've been leaning on my GF for years to move - but she won't budge.

Ok I think I got it.

The only reason you need to notify someone down in MA that you're moving, is if you want to apply for a restricted non res permit someday. I don't care about the MA non res LTC. If I need to let someone know to cancel my current LTC though, that's more or less what I am asking. You would think I could just drop my LTC off at the police station, and say, "I am moving out of state, nice knowing you."

Once I am out of MA, I will never be back.

There's an [STRIKE=undefined]official[/STRIKE] UNOFFICIAL form somewhere on the MA EOPS website. There are at least two, perhaps three copies that are sent out: One to EOPS in Chelsea, another to the ORIGINAL town CLEO that issued you your license, and your CURRENT town CLEO (if different than the ORIGINAL town.)

Like everything in MA, someone developed an UNOFFICIAL form, that goes BEYOND what is required by law and posted it on the gov't website. GOAL also swallowed this intrusion hook, line and sinker.

MGL (look it up) merely requires a letter with name, new and old addresses, (maybe DOB), LTC # sent Certified Mail (suggest Return Receipt Requested) to Issuing PD and FRB (when moving out of state - new town PD if moving within state). That's it and what I hope to do someday.

Like everything in MA, someone developed an UNOFFICIAL form, that goes BEYOND what is required by law and posted it on the gov't website. GOAL also swallowed this intrusion hook, line and sinker.

MGL (look it up) merely requires a letter with name, new and old addresses, (maybe DOB), LTC # sent Certified Mail (suggest Return Receipt Requested) to Issuing PD and FRB (when moving out of state - new town PD if moving within state). That's it and what I hope to do someday.

So you are required to tell them you are moving?? You can't just drop off the LTC at the PD?? If you have no intentions of applying for a non res LTC, do you still need to notify them?

So you are required to tell them you are moving?? You can't just drop off the LTC at the PD?? If you have no intentions of applying for a non res LTC, do you still need to notify them?

C. 140 S. 131 (l)
Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

You make the decision if it is worth risking NEVER being eligible for a NR (or Resident if G_d forbid you ever decide to move back to MA), as failure to notify is an accepted DQ for issuance of any future license. I'd spend the ~$10 and do it right (only MA issuing town and FRB in your case).

Everything else I drop off at PD in person, but this is one case where MGL makes it clear that doing so is "non-compliance"! Dumb but that is MA for you.

C. 140 S. 131 (l)

You make the decision if it is worth risking NEVER being eligible for a NR (or Resident if G_d forbid you ever decide to move back to MA), as failure to notify is an accepted DQ for issuance of any future license. I'd spend the ~$10 and do it right (only MA issuing town and FRB in your case).

Everything else I drop off at PD in person, but this is one case where MGL makes it clear that doing so is "non-compliance"! Dumb but that is MA for you.

If you read C. 140 S. 131 (l) it looks like your resident LTC is still valid, even if you move out of state, provided you execute "such notification... made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence."

Remember, there is no such thing as post-ban or hi-cap mags up here. We simply have mags here. [wink]

Initially they rejected my order; I still had my billing address in a non-free state

I placed a big order with one of the major online retailers (one with restricted shipping) just before I moved to New Hampshire, timing it for delivery the day after my move.

ThePreBanMan said:
I've been leaning on my GF for years to move - but she won't budge.
Time for a new GF perhaps [smile]
MA has a slighty better sex ratio, so you'll probably want to lock in the new GF first, then move to NH.

I am not going to lie. I very much am looking forward to buying anything I want, ordering online anything I want, storing my guns any way I want. The list goes on & on. Best part, is my wife doesn't care about us moving. She is more excited than me. Not for the gun stuff, but just in general.

I am not going to lie. I very much am looking forward to buying anything I want, ordering online anything I want, storing my guns any way I want. The list goes on & on. Best part, is my wife doesn't care about us moving. She is more excited than me. Not for the gun stuff, but just in general.

Obviously just because the state doesn't statutorily mandate "safe storage" it behooves everyone to make responsible storage decisions in case there are little ones in your house.

The same "formula" is used for our motorcycle helmet laws, seat belt laws, etc. Just because the state doesn't necessarily mandate something, doesn't mean you probably shouldn't. [wink]

Moving to NH is incredibly refreshing. I lived in MA for 31 years of my life. My only regret is that I didn't buy a house up here when I was in my early twenties.

Obviously just because the state doesn't statutorily mandate "safe storage" it behooves everyone to make responsible storage decisions in case there are little ones in your house.

The same "formula" is used for our motorcycle helmet laws, seat belt laws, etc. Just because the state doesn't necessarily mandate something, doesn't mean you probably shouldn't. [wink]

Moving to NH is incredibly refreshing. I lived in MA for 31 years of my life. My only regret is that I didn't buy a house up here when I was in my early twenties.

Oh I will store them in my safe as I do now, I was just saying it's not shoved down your throat like in MA.

I have 2 small children in my home, and that's reason enough for me not to be an ass hat.

Back
Top Bottom