Moving to new state, residency time before purchases?

According to the IRS you need to be there 183 days for tax purposes. What about gun purchases? Is it as soon as I move with an address and change voting reg or new drivers license?

Does a new address out of state cause any delays because of the new info.

I remember when I left the Air Force. Driving out of the main gate for the last time, raising my middle finger, was one of the best feelings, a sense of freedom.

The last 6 months before leaving, being short, we called it, was a nice feeling. I'm getting that feeling now as I am definitely short for MA and can't wait to drive away for the last time. I know I will have that feeling this time also many years later.

Thanks.

Check with state law in the state you are moving to. It will have information about what you need and how long it will take to establish residency.

I don't know when I moved to New Hampshire and got a New Hampshire driver's license on my first day here I was in the gun shop 20 minutes after I had my license and a half an hour after that I walked out with a Glock
Same for me in nh...fl...ga

It's like my thing

If there's no stricter state law, the controlling federal legislation (see also 27 CFR 478.11:) GCA requires a purchase to be a resident, defined as "a person is a resident of a state in which he or she is present with the intention of making a home in that state", the 4473 asks for a residence address with some sort of supporting ID or other supporting documents.

As mentioned, NH doesn't have any stricter state law, so just read the instructions page(s) on the 4473 and make sure you either have a new state ID with your new residence address, or other acceptable documentation of your residence address (common to use vehicle registration slip since that's always in your car).

Last edited:
I moved to NH during the height of COVID.

There were delays in getting my driver's license. I ordered a rifle about three weeks into living here, no problem. It was ready about a week before my appointment for the DMV. Gun store asked if I could wait the week so there wouldn't be any issues - he made it clear it wasn't a legal thing, but a "let's not cause issues we don't need" thing.

It took me about two weeks to get my driver's license here in GA; that's after they'd gone to a "Real ID" program. The day I received it, I made an appt to apply for a weapons permit, that came in about 10 days later.

Here in GA, I could have purchased from a private party with no paperwork. Or I could have purchased from an FFL using my driver's license as ID, (no permit required to purchase firearms here, but NICS would have to be run); or I could have waited and purchased from an FFL using my weapons permit, (no NICS).

Connecticut on the other hand requires you to have a weapons permit to purchase ammunition...

So, very dependent upon the state you're moving to.

When I moved here to NC in 2017, within a month or two I was taking the required class to get my NC license, then going through the application and waiting period to get it. It probably took a couple months to complete. You can buy rifles and stripped lowers and such with a driver's license. You only need the CCW permit if you're buying a handgun

I've only bought stripped lowers, and 20+ round magazines since I've been here. Haven't actually bought a gun in over six years.

Made an appointment to get my new license in Montana while still living in mass. Got to Montana and days later had my license. Two days later I had an AR and a bunch of 30 round mags.

Oh and f%$k Mass and my town. Never told them I am a gun owner and leaving the state. Blow me.

You never had a gun before you moved to Montana?

You never had a gun before you moved to Montana?
Not an AR. Wasn't going to pay some stupid amount for a preban, knowing I was eventually out of there. $450 here vs $1200. And I had zero interest in pinned fixed mag whatever guns. I will take my lever actions over that crap all day long. Trust me, I made up for it. My 30 round mag collection in particular is quite impressive 😁

Not an AR. Wasn't going to pay some stupid amount for a preban, knowing I was eventually out of there. $450 here vs $1200. And I had zero interest in pinned fixed mag whatever guns. I will take my lever actions over that crap all day long. Trust me, I made up for it. My 30 round mag collection in particular is quite impressive 😁

Ahh, I see. I started owning guns early in life (I bought my first centerfire rifle, a Ruger 30-06, with lawnmowing money when I was 13 or 14, my parents had bought me a 10/22 before that) and have owned a couple (and more at times) ARs since my late teens (I am now 55), I bought pre-ban stuff before it was pre-ban (and it was cheap), so I am more than set for life in that area. ARs are OK but my interests nowadays, rifle-wise, are classic/higher end bolt action rifles and single shots. I really need this (my wife says it's a want, not a need, but I disagree):

Back
Top Bottom