Moving out of state shipping question

Interesting question.

Does anyone have any experience using PODs? Would this be a afe, practical way to ship firearms along with other household items, especially furniture?

I used a pod when i moved from ct to ga to move my shop stuff.

It sat in a yard down here for a couple of weeks before it was delivered to me.

Not secure, no climate control.

My guns came down in a rental truck under my direct supervision

That's seriously nothing.

Get a big enough Pelican case and you can put them all in that. Padlock all the hasps and bring it on the flight. Or, just make the movers bring it with them.
Hell, build a custom crate:

Interesting question.

Does anyone have any experience using PODs? Would this be a afe, practical way to ship firearms along with other household items, especially furniture?
When I moved from MA to NH, I drove my guns and ammo to the new house. However, I loaded a POD with the lawn tractor, snow blowers, everything from my shed and garage, etc. I packed it myself and everything arrived just fine. It was a straight drive thru for them, no storage at their facilities. Yes, it was expensive and they screwed up the billing, but everything got here.

For furniture, I hired professional movers, and I hired Eastern for the safe.

As much as Fed Law allows you to ship handguns to yourself via UPS and FedEx, BATFE has convinced both to NOT accept any shipments of guns unless it is from/to an FFL who is part of the shipper's "program". Fed Law only allows dealers/mfrs to ship handguns via USPO, however anyone can ship rifles to themselves via USPO.

An interesting aside is that FedEx told me that it is illegal to ship alcohol via FedEx and if they find it they will smash the bottles. No idea if that is true or only a FedEx rule.

When I moved from MA to NH, I drove my guns and ammo to the new house. However, I loaded a POD with the lawn tractor, snow blowers, everything from my shed and garage, etc. I packed it myself and everything arrived just fine. It was a straight drive thru for them, no storage at their facilities. Yes, it was expensive and they screwed up the billing, but everything got here.

For furniture, I hired professional movers, and I hired Eastern for the safe.
Damn, you FANCY, Len!

I drove to Indianapolis from Worcester to 3.5 times in 2019 to make sure all our shit made it to our new home.

I was a mover in CA and the guy that ran the company was a crack head (literally smoked crack during work)…I haven’t trusted a mover since.

Long Arms can be sent USPS, send them to yourself c/o a friend out there if you can

Shipping ammo is expensive, sell it here, replace it there.

Break the pistols down, send everything but the frames to yourself, at that point they are parts and not a firearm that you have to jump thru hoops with UPS or other Common Carrier (that term is important legally when shipping pistols & revolvers btw) then take the frames and package them up and put them in your trunk, away from where you could easily access them, and drive.

Break the pistols down, send everything but the frames to yourself, at that point they are parts and not a firearm that you have to jump thru hoops with UPS or other Common Carrier (that term is important legally when shipping pistols & revolvers btw) then take the frames and package them up and put them in your trunk, away from where you could easily access them, and drive.

Just to emphasize /clarity the bold part:

The frames are still firearms by federal law, but the slides and barrels and stuff are not.

About a half dozen handguns and half as many long guns.
6 handguns and 3 rifles, that is nothing. That is very easy to move.

You can check that as luggage, rifles can go in the same case, Pelican sells some nice cases that fit 5 or 6 handguns. Or you can fit them all in one case and check it at the airport.

Or just ship them.

6 handguns and 3 rifles, that is nothing. That is very easy to move.

You can check that as luggage, rifles can go in the same case, Pelican sells some nice cases that fit 5 or 6 handguns. Or you can fit them all in one case and check it at the airport.

Or just ship them.
Heck, unless they're rare or sentimental, sell and replace. It's 9 guns. If they're AWB-compliant, you can get better, cheaper at your destination. Same if they're preban, plus they're significantly more valuable here.

If it's one handgun, put it in your checked luggage (in accordance with TSA and airline regs) and be done with it.
[thumbsup]
Just put your wife on a plane and drive yourself.
You'll probably enjoy the long QUIET trip!
That's seriously nothing.

Get a big enough Pelican case and you can put them all in that. Padlock all the hasps and bring it on the flight. Or, just make the movers bring it with them.
I put a rifle and two pistols in one rifle case and flew without any problems. If you feel the need to, pay the extra checked bag fee and put everything in two containers. Airlines don't care about MA firearms laws and other related MA B.S. when it comes to firearms. Read the airlines policy and follow it to the letter and you should be 100% good to go.

I once flew with a dozen of a friend's guns from Hartford to Orlando, all in one double-layer Pelican long gun case. Checked in, did the TSA inspection thing, picked up the case on arrival, no problem. Would strongly recommend a direct flight, but I wouldn't anticipate any issues if you follow the firearm rules of the TSA and your airline. Print them out and have them in your pocket.

As much as Fed Law allows you to ship handguns to yourself via UPS and FedEx, BATFE has convinced both to NOT accept any shipments of guns unless it is from/to an FFL who is part of the shipper's "program". Fed Law only allows dealers/mfrs to ship handguns via USPO, however anyone can ship rifles to themselves via USPO.
This. It’s become more of a PITA to ship firearms now because of this. I hate pestering my dealers to ship firearms for me. Before I used to print the label and drop off the package at the FedEx ship center.
Of course you can still do this but if your package gets lost, you’re probably SOL for a claim?

An interesting aside is that FedEx told me that it is illegal to ship alcohol via FedEx and if they find it they will smash the bottles. No idea if that is true or only a FedEx rule.

Right, you can’t export alcohol across state lines. Back in the beer trading days FedEx wouldn’t take it if you said it was beer.

Since the guns are a non issue, lets move on to the wine.

If the wine is such an issue, and you don't want to drive yourself, either build a crate and pack them good, or insure the wine and call it a day.

It took me roughly 10 seconds to find out that wine bottles can be insured. Literally anything in this world can be insured.

SmartSelect_20230405_125807_Chrome.jpg

I literally have a car full of wine and firearms packed and ready for a drive down south in the coming days. Wife is flying, all of our stuff is in pods.

I sold off a chunk of my firearms- needed to pad the new toy budget now that suppressors and such are legal.

I encouraged my wife to hold a bunch of wine and whine nights with her friends to help us reduce the number of bottles.

I literally have a car full of wine and firearms packed and ready for a drive down south in the coming days. Wife is flying, all of our stuff is in pods.

I sold off a chunk of my firearms- needed to pad the new toy budget now that suppressors and such are legal.

I encouraged my wife to hold a bunch of wine and whine nights with her friends to help us reduce the number of bottles.
Fare thee well [cheers]

Interesting question.

Used them for moving furniture and guns (locked in safes) twice - no problems. Just made sure to use good locks. Also pack them tight inside the safe(s).

I searched the forum, but the posts are not necessarily up to date, so here goes:

I am leaving MA to go to a red state and wife does not want to drive there, so I need to look at shipping my guns (and my wine).

Does anyone know if a FFL will ship all handguns together, or do they need to ship each one separately? Are they required to ship to another FFL, or can they be shipped to a family member who can receive them?

Is it worth it to have a FFL handle long guns too, or use USPS? Any experiences using USPS for long guns?

For anyone who says "Ask a FFL," who would you recommend close to Foxboro?

I think you got most of the answers on the firearms, but you should be aware it is illegal for you to transport more than three gallons of an alcoholic beverage (like wine). MGL Title XX, Chap. 138, Section 22. Of course, once you're out of Mass other state's laws may apply.

In the inbound direction, you would need to apply for a special permit with the Mass Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC). There could be a similar requirement on the other end.

🫡

Interesting question.

I used one of those years ago, it wasn’t PODS brand, but same deal. It’s a locked shipping container. In my case, it was picked up and dropped off same afternoon, I beat the guy there. They do have pickup, store for X amount of time, and then deliver, which should also be fine as long as storage area isn’t in a ghetto.

I traveled with most of my actual firearms myself but ammo went in the POD thing (I forget which brand we used). Mine was a fairly secure shipping container type thing, I’ve seen cheesier ones of the same nature.

I would t volunteer any info. What’s locked in there is your stuff and your business!

I think you got most of the answers on the firearms, but you should be aware it is illegal for you to transport more than three gallons of an alcoholic beverage (like wine). MGL Title XX, Chap. 138, Section 22. Of course, once you're out of Mass other state's laws may apply.

In the inbound direction, you would need to apply for a special permit with the Mass Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC). There could be a similar requirement on the other end.
I hate slick Willy, but love the whole ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ deal. It applies to so many different aspects of life!

I hate slick Willy, but love the whole ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ deal. It applies to so many different aspects of life!

Just saying, we gotta learn from the mistakes our forefathers, or uncles in some cases, made.

How the revenuers caught a lot of the moonshiners was by looking at the ride height of cars passing by. If the copper thought a car looked awfully low, they'd get chased. This guy, he's loading about a thousand rifles and maybe 600 gallons of Franzia Pinot Grigio! His muffler will be scraped clean off in 20 miles!

But the moonshiners fought back. Remember these runs were usually in the dark of night at very high speed. The revenuers, they would chase the suspect by following the taillights. So some clever 'shiners rigged a tail light cut-out switch and put fake "tail lights" on either side of a huge tree. They'd get up to a very high speed and as they neared the trap, turn off their taillights and a friend on the ground would turn on the lure lights. After several revenuers died in head on collisions with trees, they reached a sort of truce and the revenuers chased the shiners a little less aggressively. And the shiners stopped killing the revenuers in return.

But Hague, he's going to be driving solo and won't be able to shake the cops with all that freight in the trunk.

I'm just trying to keep one of our own outta jail!

Back
Top Bottom