Moving out of NH - resident permit still good?

If you have a valid resident permit and move out of NH, do you have to apply for a non-res permit (if you still want concealed carry privileges), or is the resident permit good until it expires, regardless of where you live?

The law itself doesn't cover that scenario.

159:6-b Suspension or Revocation of License. –
I. The issuing authority may order a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver issued to any person pursuant to RSA 159:6 to be suspended or revoked for just cause, provided written notice of the suspension or revocation and the reason therefore is given to the licensee. A licensee whose license has been suspended or revoked shall be permitted a hearing on such suspension or revocation if a hearing is requested by the licensee to the issuing authority within 7 days of the suspension or revocation.
II. When the licensee hereunder ceases to be a resident of the community in which the license was issued he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. Such license shall remain in effect until it expires pursuant to RSA 159:6.

Section II here only applies to any other town or city in NH since no other state will recognize your resident license since you are no longer a resident of NH.

You will have to apply for a non-resident license when you establish residency in another state. According to the law itself though, there is no procedure to void your current license if you move out of the state.

ETA: I can find no mention of this scenario in GONH's gun laws FAQ or on PGNH's gun law FAQ.

Last edited:
If you are no longer a resident, why would you think a resident P&R would still be good?

Yes, you'll have to apply for a non-resident once you become a "non-resident"

If you are no longer a resident, why would you think a resident P&R would still be good?

I guess the only remaining question is, is that resident license properly voided? I know a little while back there was an issue (or maybe it was a perceived issue) with how non-resident licenses for people who's address changed were dealt with. I recall there was some discussion that they were technically being revoked which would have caused all kinds of problems when renewing or applying in different states. IIRC, the DOS issued a clarification on what they actually do and it is not considered a "revocation."

Why would I not think it? There's always little 'loopholes' / rules like that.

Why would I not think it? There's always little 'loopholes' / rules like that.

Ok, I'll bite... Where are you moving TO?? I hope you don't say MA... IMO, there's zero good reason to leave NH and move to MA... Unless you WANT the government all up in your life.

Maybe he's moving to VT because he's sick of this permit bullshit [laugh]

Waiting to see what the OP has to say... He's not mentioned where he's moving, yet.. IF VT, then I can sort of see it...

Considering how cheap the P&R is though (for residents), and easy most of the time, I don't see it as a 'bullshit' item... I'd have to look and see what they allow in VT. I recall they don't allow something that is allowed in NH. Supressors perhaps.

Yeah they don't allow cans.

I don't consider a move to VT to be an upgrade from NH unless you're moving far north central with a lot of land.

I am willing to bet if a LEO has a need to ask for your permit and he finds out you no longer live in the state you can be prepared to be bent over, but feel free to be the test case for this I mean I know it cost you $10 for the Resident permit and it would suck not to get the full 4 years worth out of it.

Yes... MA is the place I'll eventually end up. Awful... I know. I deserve all the abuse you will give me.

Yes... MA is the place I'll eventually end up. Awful... I know. I deserve all the abuse you will give me.

Hoss, it's NOT worth it. I escaped that nasty state late in 2012... You could not pay me enough money to move back there. There's no job worth enough to get me to move back there. There's not a woman hot enough to get me to move back there.

Hoss, it's NOT worth it. I escaped that nasty state late in 2012... You could not pay me enough money to move back there. There's no job worth enough to get me to move back there. There's not a woman hot enough to get me to move back there.

I'd likely be making $20K more than I make now if I worked in Mass, which means I'd likely have a decent chunk of my debt paid off.

I chose freedom over money (ok, not real freedom, you can't get that in the US, but NH is a significant amount more freedom than Mass).

I'd likely be making $20K more than I make now if I worked in Mass, which means I'd likely have a decent chunk of my debt paid off.

I chose freedom over money (ok, not real freedom, you can't get that in the US, but NH is a significant amount more freedom than Mass).

I can drive into MA to work, but live in NH. I'm actually going after a 12 month (possibly longer) contract that's 100% work from home. At a good rate too. Waiting for more info about salary for a job in Needham, and to see if the hours can be tweaked so I miss enough traffic to make it viable. I'm kind of going after a job in the evil city. You know, Boston... The work from home job pay is actually within a 50 cents per hour (W2, 1099 is more to me) of the boston location job. Which means I would REALLY come out ahead working from home. Hell, even if the job in Needham is $15k less than the boston job, I'll either make out better, or the same.

While we're not as free as I would like to be, in NH we're far more free than you are in MA.

This is actually a very good question. I can't find anything in the NH RSA that covers this specifically. As soloman pointed out, 159:6-b, section II is the only section of law that talks about moving, and says nothing about moving out-of-state. Now, for the case of just moving towns, for example, all it says is you have to notify your new town. For the case of someone with a valid non-resident permit, your issuing authority is still the state police, so would you even have to notify anyone?

I would contest in this scenario, that your new issuing authority would become the state police (the issuing authority for non-resident licenses) and that your resident license would indeed remain valid until expiration so long they are contacted, in accordance with 159:6-b.

Good question...

What is the title of the document?

It is a "Resident" license, there is a specific "Non-Resident" License available

Parse it however you'd like, I would not want to stake my freedom on that twisting the spirit of the law

From the question he asked, it sounds like he was from there and is moving "back" there.

[rofl]
I didn't get that out of his posts at all... But if he was there before and he's going BACK...

44914662.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What is the title of the document?

It is a "Resident" license, there is a specific "Non-Resident" License available

Parse it however you'd like, I would not want to stake my freedom on that twisting the spirit of the law
Exactry... IMO, once you're no longer a resident of the state, you need to apply for the non-resident... At least NH isn't like MA where you have to do stupid shit every year just to keep your restricted license.

The 'spirit' of the law is that you contact your new issuing authority. The RSA governing both resident and non-resident licenses in the same. You cannot get a 'non-resident' license while a resident of NH.

I see your point, and agree, but what really doesn't make sense is that there isn't a law that talks about this...

This is actually a very good question. I can't find anything in the NH RSA that covers this specifically. As soloman pointed out, 159:6-b, section II is the only section of law that talks about moving, and says nothing about moving out-of-state. Now, for the case of just moving towns, for example, all it says is you have to notify your new town. For the case of someone with a valid non-resident permit, your issuing authority is still the state police, so would you even have to notify anyone?

I would contest in this scenario, that your new issuing authority would become the state police (the issuing authority for non-resident licenses) and that your resident license would indeed remain valid until expiration so long they are contacted, in accordance with 159:6-b.

Good question...

Also check the SAF, that is where the "revocation" language for NRs becoming Resident issue came up.

Also check the SAF, that is where the "revocation" language for NRs becoming Resident issue came up.

You are correct. This deals with the exact opposite situation (a non-resident becoming a resident), but not the other way around.

CHAPTER Saf-C 2100 NONRESIDENT PISTOL/REVOLVER LICENSE said:
Saf-C 2104.02 Conditions for Revocation. A license to carry pistols or revolvers shall be revoked if:
(a) The licensee is convicted for any felony or a misdemeanor involving drugs or violence;
(b) The commissioner receives verifiable information from law enforcement officials that the licensee is
not a suitable person to be licensed, as set forth in Saf-C 2103.01;
(c) The licensee is found to have provided false information on the license application;
(d) The licensee becomes a resident of New Hampshire; or
(e) The licensee has his or her resident state license revoked.

Again, though it makes sense that this would also hold true for the opposite, I don't see where that is written.

Good questions...

Back
Top Bottom