• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from MA to NJ - LTC Questions

Hi All,

This past year I moved to an Apt in NJ for a new job. I have my MA LTC which is registered under parents home address (my previous address) which is on my MA LTC and driving license. During this time I have had my firearms in locked in a safe at the home of a friend with a valid MA LTC. I am still a little gray what offically counts as registering in a new state (new state license, tax filing, etc) I still have yet to renew/replace my MA driving license, nor have I registered to vote in NJ. So aside from my apartment bills, work pay stubs and taxes, I am still registered in MA. As it is about time I try to get my permit in NJ, I have come here to get some clarification. I just read that in order to have a chance at getting my MA LTC again if/when I move back, I need to have informed my town that I moved within 30 days. I clearly didn't realize this, would it be fine for me to send a notice now before I go to the NJ offices to file for a NJ driving license? I figure I will probably need a NJ driving license in order to apply for at least their permit to own a firearm.

Also, with my parents address still being in MA, where I have resided previously, can that be considered for me reapplying for the MA Resident LTC before mine officially expires at the end of 2018?

Appreciate your thoughts/comments. Just find it very daunting trying to move/renew all while staying legal.

First, IANAL

The real question is, have you moved to NJ, or hare you in NJ temporarily, for work?

AFAIK, there is no "magic formula" as to what is, or is not, "moving." For example, a college student in a different state is still resident in their parental home.

So....if it's a temporary gig, then you can make the case that you're still a Ma**h***; if you've moved in your mind, and are going to get a NJ driver's license, and vote for Chris Christie, send the appropriate letters to the appropriate folks, and be a New Jersian.

Key thing - get your NJ firearms ID card, pronto! You can be a non-resident, applying at the state barracks. Don't get caught with firearms and no id card in that state.

If you haven't taken steps to establish residency in NJ (other than shelter) then you're still a MA resident that happens to be out of state for a while.

If you establish residency there, then send your notices and do what you need to be legal there. Of course if you're close enough to the border to commute, PA is much more friendly than NJ. Just saying. If you plan to be there until you quit or get fired, go ahead.

If you plan to leave in 2 years and come back, then keep your MA residency. Continue voting in MA, etc.

IANAL

My $0.02-

First if you didn't know IANAL = "I Am Not A Lawyer" (I had to look that accronym up, accronyms are a bain of my existance)
Second, I agree with EvilD, get legal in NJ AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! The other thing you might consider . . . Are either of your parents Licensed in MA? This could take legal pressure off possessing firearms (keeping them in MA until you are legal in NJ) I don't know the process in NJ, but I know that it WAS possible. An old coworker used to live in NJ and owned an M1 Garrand . . . not a handgun, but . . .

Good luck and keep the faith!
BDO

You need to get / buy vouchers from the police dept to buy handguns. One or two every 30 days I believe. By brother lives there and he says it sucks. If you do know someone with Pull it may take months to get the ¨vouchers¨. You need to know someone on the inside to speed up the process.

And don't forget. In NJ, It is illegal to possess firearms outside the home unless one is going directly to or from the range. A guy got arrested for stopping at his fathers house to drop him off on the way home from the range. They are effing NAZIS in NJ. One of the states that Criminals love.
And don't ever touch a gas pump in NJ. You'll get arrested and fined a minimum of $250.
NJ is one of those states I would never ever move to. Taxes there make MA seem reasonable. Property taxes are higher than one's mortgage payment.

There's a lot of other shit you should be aware of too. Locked in the trunk in NJ means locked in the trunk. Not in the bed of a truck, not in the interior of an SUV/Van. They will confiscate your shit if they need to.

If you get a PI license, you can get a carry.

Back
Top Bottom