moving back to MA from VA

I just lost my job and my wife is due any day now so we are seriously thinking of moving back to mass to stay with the parents for a while to get back on our feet. I currently have a g26 and a rock river but what should i consider purchasing before I move that I won't be able to buy in mass? Can I bring high cap mags into the state if they were purchased legally while a resident of VA or do I have to toss them? I also understand that I will have to have the stock pinned and the bayonet lug removed on the AR?

You're probably not going to like what I am going to say, but that has never stopped me.

Let's do a quick situation analysis here:

1) You are unemployed
2) You are about to become a father (again, or perhaps for the first time)
3) You are planning on living with relatives, presumably because you do not have the means to fully provide for yourself until you get on your feet.

Let me make the comment that burning money on firearms probably should be low on your priority list.

I know it would be if I were in your shoes.

I just lost my job and my wife is due any day now so we are seriously thinking of moving back to mass to stay with the parents for a while to get back on our feet. I currently have a g26 and a rock river but what should i consider purchasing before I move that I won't be able to buy in mass? Can I bring high cap mags into the state if they were purchased legally while a resident of VA or do I have to toss them? I also understand that I will have to have the stock pinned and the bayonet lug removed on the AR?

If you don't plan on staying in MA you may want to leave them all out of state so you can get them later. Anyway you could do that with trusted individuals? It may be less costly then neutering the AR, dumping mags, etc.

You're probably not going to like what I am going to say, but that has never stopped me.

1) You are unemployed
3) You are planning on living with relatives, presumably because you do not have the means to fully provide for yourself until you get on your feet.

Let me make the comment that burning money on firearms probably should be low on your priority list.

I would go on govt assistance before I moved back to MA. In any case, maybe he is looking to flip the guns to some fellow NESR's once he gets there for a bit of profit.

very true. I was more so thinking of the value of certain firearms in mass and that if need be i could easily get my money back if not more. Trust me the stability of my family is number one on my list.

I would go on govt assistance before I moved back to MA. In any case, maybe he is looking to flip the guns to some fellow NESR's once he gets there for a bit of profit.
I hope you never get your wish, in either regard.

Seriously, you have nothing better to do than hang around a Northeast board to rank on MA? I hope life improves for you.[wink]

Last edited:
A representative of the AG will be in contact with you shortly regarding your business venture.

Nah, he can sell up to 4 per year by FA10 transfer and the AG can't do anything about it.

Plus, she has her hands full in another suit regarding a free speech case (McCullen v. Coakley) by some anti-abortion picketers. Not surprisingly, MA law is oppressive and over-reaching with respect to this issue, so SCOTUS is likely to grant cert. on this one.

A representative of the AG will be in contact with you shortly regarding your business venture.

No, that would be the ATF. That is a federal law he plans on breaking. Lucky for him he just wrote on the internet for all to see. [rolleyes]

I just need to make sure I point out how deficient and oppressive MA is in hopes others jump ship. All in my Congressional redistricting plan.
The last time I checked, this was a free country and we get to live wherever we choose.

And some men run to the sound of the guns, instead of away from them.

No, that would be the ATF. That is a federal law he plans on breaking. Lucky for him he just wrote on the internet for all to see. [rolleyes]

He is not violating federal law if he intends to now purchase them for himself. He can change his mind later and sell them. But as long as his current intent is to purchase for self-consumption, he is not breaking any federal laws.

Nah, he can sell up to 4 per year by FA10 transfer and the AG can't do anything about it.

Plus, she has her hands full in another suit regarding a free speech case (McCullen v. Coakley) by some anti-abortion picketers. Not surprisingly, MA law is oppressive and over-reaching with respect to this issue, so SCOTUS is likely to grant cert. on this one.

Yes. See my post about the ATF. Just because greg got the jurisdiction wrong doesn't me he was wrong about the legality.

He is not violating federal law if he intends to now purchase them for himself. He can change his mind later and sell them. But as long as his current intent is to purchase for self-consumption, he is not breaking any federal laws.

very true. I was more so thinking of the value of certain firearms in mass and that if need be i could easily get my money back if not more. Trust me the stability of my family is number one on my list.

The bold section is kinda key.

The bold section is kinda key.

I think he is okay to make a profit - from a legal perspective. What controls in terms of a "straw purchase" is if he is purchasing the gun intentionally for someone else at the time of purchase. As he now does not know who "someone else" is with any definiteness, he is okay.

Now, he may find disfavor among the MA gun citizenry if he tries to extract too large a profit. But, I suppose he can sell for whatever the market is willing to pay if he decides he wants to do so.

It's called dealing without a license. Straw purchasing is not the only bad thing one can do with firearms.

It's called dealing without a license. Straw purchasing is not the only bad thing one can do with firearms.

But, per MA statute, if he transfers four or less in a one year period, he would not need a dealer license. He would be considered a mere private citizenlike the rest of us, and he is just trying to unload some unwanted, tangible personal property. Kinda like old tires or something.

I currently have a g26 and a rock river but what should i consider purchasing before I move that I won't be able to buy in mass?

I think my original statement indicates that I am interested in firearms for myself that I will not be able to purchase once in Mass.

1) You are unemployed

Depends, when I had to move back home I was looking at guns that are pretty much high demand, low supply and approached it as a business investment instead of adding to my collection.

If I can double my money with little risk I will try and explore that option IF feasible.

Last edited:
I think my original statement indicates that I am interested in firearms for myself that I will not be able to purchase once in Mass.

Yes, it was the other statement that had issues. Had you not said anymore than the OP, no one could have taken exception to it.

Depends, when I had to move back home I was looking at guns that are pretty much high demand, low supply and approached it as a business investment instead of adding to my collection.

If I can double my money with little risk I will try and explore that option IF feasible.

Did you have children to think about?

But, per MA statute, if he transfers four or less in a one year period, he would not need a dealer license. He would be considered a mere private citizenlike the rest of us, and he is just trying to unload some unwanted, tangible personal property. Kinda like old tires or something.

It was his second statement that he acknowledged potentially looking to sell at a profit. That is against FEDERAL law as it is a characteristic of sales that ATF defines as dealing in firearms and not just selling used and unwanted crap.

Back
Top Bottom