Mounting a New Riflle Scope

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
I just picked up a new in the box Tasco World Class Scope yesterday.

It is 4X-12x56mm

I plan on mounting it to a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag

kinda looks like this but Bigger!

I bet it wiil be great for 500 yd to 1000 shots

It also has a Big graduated Knob on it on top by the eye end that I have no idea what its for?

Its NOT the Zoom Knob. The Zoom is a rotating ring on the Barrel of the scope.

Its not the Focus ring. that is on the eye piece.

windage & elevation knobs are in the normal positions midway down the scope.

This thing is wild! I can zom in on Chickadees at 200 yards and they look like they are sitting in my hand

any helpful hints

Last edited:
It sounds like you bought an illuminated reticle model. The graduations are for brightness. I don't see the scope you have listed for Tasco? They don't have a 56mm at all! 50mm is the largest, not a World class, 40mm for IR w/ AO also not a world class. You will have fun mounting it w/ a 56mm objective. Cheek wield will be tough also. I use a Weaver V10 on 7mm rem mag. A 700 yard shot would be out standing, unfortunately That scope won't make it. A $100.00 scope is just that, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. My V10 is a 2x10 38mm. 600 yards is comfortable to shoot. For $180.00 it is a good scope and reliable. I use Sightron S2's on my other distance rifles. $450.00+. If you are serious about hunting w/ your 7mm I would suggest a lower mounted scope(smaller bell). As far as power, w/ a 10x, a target at 600 yards looks to be at 60 yards. Bigger is not always better. I use 4x fixed power on many hunting rifles. 32mm or 38mm objectives. Again, a target at 300 yards appears to be at 75 yards, a very easy shot. Quality of glass is BIG. Cheap scopes have cheap glass. You will find tons of bells and whistles on some scopes. On most they are more of a detriment. More cheap moving parts, more to break. Sorry if I am dogged the scope, I just think you will be frustrated quickly. When it comes to Magnums, even the 7mm, keep it simple. A good 3x9 38 or 40mm will do nicely.
I scoped a rifle this past fall for a friend. He purchased a Bushnell Banner 3x9 40mm AO. It is all he could afford. I respect that. The rifle is a model 700 XCR .270. I used Weaver grand slam bases and medium rings. After a bore sighting and a couple shots to zero, he went to Pa. hunting. He had 3 tags, filled all. The last buck was a head shot through the eye at 300 yards.(he is a meat hunter) We zeroed the rifle using 130 gr ammo, bore sighted for 250 yards which gave him a 0 to 300 yard kill without touching the scope. The 7mm is the same type of rifle. I zero at 250 yards for a 0 to 300 yard kill. That is perfect for Eastern shooting. I can move that to 400..500 or 525..600 for Western elk. For distance I use 175gr bullets, they carry much better. 160's will work well also. 140gr are great for under 450 yards. Am I Ranting yet? I wish you luck. If you need some help, PM me. I'll be happy to help you w/ a scope, mounting and bore-sighting. JP

Maybe a "Titan" variant?

http://www.excaliburenterprises.com/scopes/tasco/titan.html#T412X56IR

Helpful hints? When mounting, I try to tweak the clamps during bore-sighting BEFORE making any windage/elevation adjustments. When I've got it hitting on paper, I only make changes to either elevation OR windage in between groups, as either adjustment may influence the other.

Last edited:
Thats it!

Excalibur Enterprises

I have Never heard of them.

Well I Obiously have the wrong scope for my 7mm Magnum. I tried to fit it on with new weaver style rings and it hits the iron sights. so... I tried to take off a set of see thru rings from my 30-06 Woodsmaster that had a cheap 4X noname scope on it. I removed all but one stubborn hex set screw in the barrell. Now Illl have to go get an Easy out and tap it out before it strips. (Any Ideas? Heat?)

I really wanted to put an Aimpoint on the Woodsmaster anyway as a "Brush Gun"

This Scope may not take the shcock of shooting 7MM Magnums if its made for Blackpowder and Shotguns? ( why on Earth would anyone need a 12X on a Shotgun?)[thinking] I just E mailed Tasco (BUSNELL) to see if it work work on the 7MM Mag

t412x56ir_lg.jpg

Category: Shotgun/Slug/BL.Powder/Compact (compact? [laugh] Those Japs are soo.... Funny!)

Model: T412X56IR
Magnification: 4x - 12x
Objective Lens Diameter: 56mm
Field of view: 23' - 13' @ 100 Yards
Wide Angle: Yes
Exit Pupil Diameter: 14mm @ 4x
Lens Coating: Fully/multi-coated
Focus Type: Fast Focus Eyebell
Parallax Setting: 100 Yards
Eye Relief: 3.25"
Reticle Type: 30/30ID
Windage / Elevation: 1/4 M.O.A. Adjustments
Finish: Black Matte
Tube Diameter: 30mm Adv.Monotube Construction
Weight: 12.2 oz.
Length: 13.25"

T412X56IR $ 489.95

I guess I made a good deal trading a used $100 fishing rod & Reel for it!

ONLY One thing to Do.

Find a Good Deal on a New Inline .50 cal Muzzleloader I guess?

Anyone have one they want to trade for a Guides Striped Bass or Lake Trout Fishing trip? Or Sea Duck Hunting Trip?

Capt Walt

patch.gif

WOW QUICK RESPONSE for TASCO. I E mailed them 5 min ago and they just replied and told me to "Please call Customer Service at 800-423-3537" Ill give it a try. Any wagers that Ill get a recording that will tell me to E mail them???[thinking][hmmm][hmmm][thinking][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom