Motorcyclists Who Carry

I'll check which size I have when I get home. I'm carrying something else today. I'm not a big drinker so not drinking at a New Years Party was no biggie.

IMHO, and as been told to me by an LEO friend, printing a hand gun is sometimes, depending on the town and officer, considered brandishing a weapon. Most people are to into them selves, to really pay attention, but some, mostly LEO's and armed citizens, and a small population of the general public will notice. Although their is no law banning OC in MA, OC and printing is highly frowned upon. The unwritten law, and a good rule of thumb is NO OC or Printing allowed. When my wife and I had gone down to pick up our LTC's at the station, part of the conversation we had to have with the LEO was, and I quote" You have a concealed weapons permit, concealed means concealed, we don't want to see it, we don't want to know you have it, and we don't want other people to know you have a weapon. If we can see it or parts of it thru your clothes, guess what, it is not concealed." Of course, me needing to know the cost of the mistake, I was told that "You very well could have one of the worst experiences with the cops you ever want to have." He did say some LEO's don't make a big deal about it, but some if not most will do some not so nice things, like cuffs, and rides in cruisers, and court time. So good rule of thumb, take care not to do it. You really do not need the trouble. Find loose fitting clothes to the degree you feel comfortable, and cover your side arm. If you like having your permit, and want to keep it, just don't do it. Sucks, yes, but this is MA, and your freedoms are at the will and given as a gift by people who are so much smarter and know what is best for you, so don't doubt their wisdom and better judgment. ( Yes that was meant to be funny, but is so close to the truth as to how they think it is scary). Best of luck with your firearms and shoot safe friend.

Very well said and thank you for the input +++++++++1 my friend

printing a hand gun is sometimes, depending on the town and officer, considered brandishing a weapon.

It is interesting to note hat in MA, there is no law that mentions "brandishing". So, while some police might consider "printing" to be "brandishing", he'd have to write you up as "assault w/ a deadly weapon", which would seem like a stretch for "printing" even for the most idiotic. Or "Disordly Conduct" or "Disturbing the Peace" (I can never remember which one MA has that is used as a catch-all and later thrown out) which is hard to imagine sticking either if all you were doing is going about your business.

Of couse if your biggest objective is to have no interaction with police, "printing" should be avioded, especially if you're dressed in anything less than "business casual".

conversation we had to have with the LEO was, and I quote" You have a concealed weapons permit, concealed means concealed, we don't want to see it, we don't want to know you have it, and we don't want other people to know you have a weapon. If we can see it or parts of it thru your clothes, guess what, it is not concealed."

I understand why it is important to do what your local CLEO says, but if he hasn't put the word "Concealed" in one of the restrictions places on your Licence To Carry Firearms, then it is not a "concealed weapons permit" in this state. There is no case law that re-defines LTC to mean "concealed weapons permit".

Yeah, you don't want to back-talk the CLEO during the interview, but don't you wonder what he'd reply to, "Chief, sir, look at this. It doesn't say 'concealed' anywhere on the LTC that you just issued to me."

Sadly, I wouldn't expect Emily Latella's, "Nevermind."

The unwritten law, and a good rule of thumb is NO OC or Printing allowed.

Maybe we should start a thread giving specific instances in Massachusetts where police detained someone only because of "printing".

It would be interesting to get more than, "I heard that the cousin of a friend of a friend..."

I have a vest thats made for carrying. Its a coronado leather vest. Ive always wore a leather vest for as long as I can remeber. So I saw this add in Glockstore.com for these vest, now they where over 200 bucks, so I bit the bullet and bought the vest, well its been 4 years now and this vest is realy tough! None of the snaps have ever given, all the pockets are still in tact. the only thing is the black is wearing a little , but nothing a little mink iol cant fix. I wear this thing everyday ! theres pockets for carrying on the left and right side, theres a inside pocket on the left, and a zipper pocket on the inside on the right. There well worth the money and for riding you cant bewat them. you can carry a compact or full size Glock, HK,1911 whatever you want,and it wont profile.
If you going to ride and wear a vest, these are the best!
Beware of cheap knock offs!
coronado leather vests are the only way to go!

It is interesting to note hat in MA, there is no law that mentions "brandishing". So, while some police might consider "printing" to be "brandishing", he'd have to write you up as "assault w/ a deadly weapon" , which would seem like a stretch for "printing" even for the most idiotic. Or "Disordly Conduct" or "Disturbing the Peace" (I can never remember which one MA has that is used as a catch-all and later thrown out) which is hard to imagine sticking either if all you were doing is going about your business.

Of course it is not right, and their is no laws on the books stating it, but when you have 71% of all Reps and Sen's in this state being liberal Dems, and it has been that way for a long time, plus having the all purpose ditch witch, Ms. Coakley as AG here, you may come to the same understanding that every MA resident with a LTC has, and that you can be denied for ANY reason, at ANY time, and ANY where, and that you have NO recourse of due process, and the high cost involved, for a lawyer and court costs when you have to sue the state to regain your rights as well as defend your self from the state. I am not trying to dog you, but you should do some searching here, their are stories here, very few have faired well when this has happened to them. It takes years, just to clear your name from the charges, never mind, you will still never get your LTC, unless or until a new chief decides to give it back. You should do your home work, and read the MA Laws section, this topic is covered at least two or three times a week. [sad]

Of couse if your biggest objective is to have no interaction with police, "printing" should be avioded, especially if you're dressed in anything less than "business casual".

I understand why it is important to do what your local CLEO says, but if he hasn't put the word "Concealed" in one of the restrictions places on your Licence To Carry Firearms, then it is not a "concealed weapons permit" in this state. There is no case law that re-defines LTC to mean "concealed weapons permit".

Yeah, you don't want to back-talk the CLEO during the interview, but don't you wonder what he'd reply to, "Chief, sir, look at this. It doesn't say 'concealed' anywhere on the LTC that you just issued to me." Yeah, let me know how that works for you.

Sadly, I wouldn't expect Emily Latella's, "Nevermind."

Maybe we should start a thread giving specific instances in Massachusetts where police detained someone only because of "printing".

It would be interesting to get more than, "I heard that the cousin of a friend of a friend..."
The search function here is your friend, check it out.[grin]

OK so not only was he my issuing officer, he was my step dads, grand daughters, ex father inlaw. Yes it is true. [smile]

yeah, I get all that, but my bigger concern is what happens if I go down. A CCW in the wrong place can reaalllly be painful if it's between you and the road, a slidin'. It's hard to determine the best spot to carry, but near the ribs isn't a good first choice DAMHIK.

Trust me, if you have to dump your machine, your firearm will be one of the last worries at that moment. It is the after effects. If you, god forbid, end up getting really hurt, the paramedics usually have a policy, if they find a firearm on you when they are working on you, the police will have a ton of questions for you. Most likley, once things get cleared up, and they figure out you have an LTC, you should be ok. It is just a PITA of while your trying to recover, you have Johnny Law bugging you.

My biggest fear is, if I go down, and it is a bad crash, if my gun for what ever reason falls out of the holster during the crash, or some dirt bag gets to me prior to the EMS or Police get their, and I am out cold, that my gun get found by a kid, or stolen by some pick pocket. I ride safe, carrying or not, but their is an added level of caution I ride with when I am carrying.

If you get some custom made leathers at Us Made Leather Company they can make them with extra large leather pockets to fit your gun. I had my vest made that way and a friend just had one made with even a bigger and better pocket. You don't have to be afraid to tell them you want one to fit a handgun in it. I had a zipper installed on the top of the inside leather pocket that I could zip shut if I thought I was going to be doing some bouncing around. Also had an over sized pocket put in my chaps just above the knee where you could reach it while riding. They make good stuff local and guarentee what they make. Here is a link. http://www.usmadeleathers.com/index.html
Its nice to have something fit when new and even better once it breaks in. Over the years I have got lots from them and stuff for my wife there as well.

If you get some custom made leathers at Us Made Leather Company they can make them with extra large leather pockets to fit your gun. I had my vest made that way and a friend just had one made with even a bigger and better pocket. You don't have to be afraid to tell them you want one to fit a handgun in it. I had a zipper installed on the top of the inside leather pocket that I could zip shut if I thought I was going to be doing some bouncing around. Also had an over sized pocket put in my chaps just above the knee where you could reach it while riding. They make good stuff local and guarentee what they make. Here is a link. http://www.usmadeleathers.com/index.html
Its nice to have something fit when new and even better once it breaks in. Over the years I have got lots from them and stuff for my wife there as well.

Great Link, they have some beautiful leather. How are the prices at this place?

Great Link, they have some beautiful leather. How are the prices at this place?

They are not cheap a jacket maybe 300.00 or so. I paid I think 175 for a custom vest but they use really good leather, Chaps I think are about 125 or so. I had gone through some really cheap vests and then broke down for some thing better. Once you have them broken in to have them fall apart is a bummer. The stuff they have there is all good quality and they will measure you and make it to fit as well as special requests like the gun pockets lined with leather etc. I have been happy with everything I have got there and I have lots of friends that got their stuff and happy with it too.

Back
Top Bottom