"Most fun carbine to shoot"

LenS made a comment on the "First AR" thread to the effect that ARs were the most fun centerfire rifle/carbine to shoot. I was about to disagree, since I think the M1 carbine holds that title, when I figured I'd start a new thread.

Here's an Underwood carbine with an interesting telescoping stock:

Downloadedpictures11-10-04025.jpg

I like the M1 carbine. A lot. Sadly, of the two that I have access to, one has a cracked receiver (the one pictured here) and the other is a Universal with a poorly-fitted USGI stock (and I use "fitted" in the loosest sense of the word...) [hmmm] I checked out Universal stocks from Numrich and they're upwards of $100. Ouch. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a gun I'm not 100% sure is even functioning (I've never shot it).

IOW, I need another one. Actually, I need two - one that I can keep bone-stock as a mil-surp, and another that I can "play" with (at the very least, a synthetic stock with accessory rails and such). IMHO, the M1 carbine makes a FINE home defense or SHTF gun - with pre-ban 30 round magazines in plentiful abundance (heck, I've got a half-dozen or so just waiting to be filled), a round with comparable ballistics to a .357 Magnum, and the light weight and low recoil, it's just about the perfect combination.

In standard mil-surp guise, it's fairly non-threatening (certainly less so than an AK or AR) to the GFWs; there's a large aftermarket for parts and accessories (although admittedly an order of magnitude or two less than the AR...); and the ammo is reasonably priced (I've seen 50 rounds for well under $10) for CF.

Another thing I really like about the M1 carbine is that most pistol-caliber only ranges will allow them (at least that's been my experience). Bob's Tactical in Salisbury (when they are open) allows them, as does the Firing Line in Manch-vegas. It's nice to be able to practice with a carbine in the middle of winter without freezing one's digits off... [smile]

They are a lot of fun. I got an Inland for my wife last year. I need to replace the springs on it, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. Decent accuracy out to 100 yards. Unfortunately the rear sight is staked a little off center, but basically a shooter.

CD

Most fun to shoot.... Don't know, as I have (lowers head in shame) never fired an AR in my life. Of what I do own, I think this gun is a great shooter, but I am more apt to beat the snot out of my AK before I would over this. However this gun holds a TON of sentimental value, as it is a family hand down, that I used to take hunting with me as a kid.

Here she is...

M1Carbine002.jpg

Nice Fred, did that come from Richie too? Doesn't matter, if I had seen it there I woulda never been able to afford it anyway. [laugh]
Actually for me my Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm is probably my most fun to shoot, even over my M1 Carbine. I seem to be the only one I know that can shoot this rifle accurately and comfortably. Its very practical too in that it folds in half, clean up is simple and fast, it functions flawlessly and eats any 9mm round I feed it, and 9mm ammo is always available and for cheap money too. Plus theres a bunch of tactical accessories for it and if I ever move out of Mass I can legally shoot Glock super high cap 30 round magazines in it.

Nice Fred, did that come from Richie too? Doesn't matter, if I had seen it there I woulda never been able to afford it anyway.

Milsurps 4 Me
Yes that one also came from Richies.
It's a Blast.
Fred

Most fun to shoot.... Don't know, as I have (lowers head in shame) never fired an AR in my life. Of what I do own, I think this gun is a great shooter, but I am more apt to beat the snot out of my AK before I would over this. However this gun holds a TON of sentimental value, as it is a family hand down, that I used to take hunting with me as a kid.

Here she is...

M1Carbine002.jpg

Adam, That is, hands down, the best photograph I have ever seen someone post of one of their own guns. It looks very professional.

Adam, That is, hands down, the best photograph I have ever seen someone post of one of their own guns. It looks very professional.

Thanks! That's a great compliment. If you do some searching in this forum, you will see some of the others that I have done.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom