Mossberg Shockwave

If you can find a 14.5” one purchased in state before the ban you can probably pop a pistol grip with stock on it no problem...
Don't think so. When I got my Shockwave, Mossberg included the ATF letter, and specifically stated that NO modification could be made to the birdshead grip.
The point of the ATF letter is about how to keep the firearm out of NFA territory, while the entire point of filing a Form-1 is to bring it squarely into NFA territory by making a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS is difficult to do in compliance with Massachusetts state law).

ATF probably asked the Mass AGs office if Form 1ing a Shockwave is legal, and of course they said NO!!!!
Who cares what the law(Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121) actually says.

“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Barrel was already 14 inches, you are not modifying it on the form 1.

''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

The Shockwave is not a shotgun under MGL, so it cant be illegal under MGL to modify it by adding a stock.
This state sucks!!!

Last edited:
ATF probably asked the Mass AGs office if Form 1ing a Shockwave is legal, and of course they said NO!!!!
Who cares what the law(Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121) actually says.

“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Barrel was already 14 inches, you are not modifying it on the form 1
This state sucks!!!
I remember watching a Hickok45 video about this posted before, it's actually the fact that the overall length would be less than 26 inches making it illegal in any state.

ATF probably asked the Mass AGs office if Form 1ing a Shockwave is legal...
''Sawed-off shotgun'', any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
I remember watching a Hickok45 video about this posted before, it's actually the fact that the overall length would be less than 26 inches making it illegal in any state.
Not illegal under New Hampshire state law.

Bear in mind, the "Form 1" discussion above is about making a short Firearm legal under Federal law (registering under NFA as SBS), and working around the "sawed off shotgun" clause in Massachusetts law by using that same chapter's definitions to claim that as a Shockwave was never a shotgun to begin with, it thus cannot be a "weapon made from a shotgun".

Last edited:
If your talking about the shockwave, its 26.37 inches.
an SBS made from one would be much longer.

Not illegal under New Hampshire state law.

Bear in mind, the "Form 1" discussion above is about making a short Firearm legal under Federal law (registering under NFA as SBS)
Right. @Rocco Mozz, what Hickock was saying is that attaching a stock would make it a "Short Barreled Shotgun," a device controlled under the NFA. In many states, including MA, they're legal provided you've jumped through the appropriate hoops.

Here's where my understanding gets fuzzy - it sounds like the only remaining method (in MA) is for an FFL to manufacture it on a Form 2, then transfer appropriately. But I'm neither a lawyer nor an FFL so I'd love to hear someone's opinion that actually knows that end...

Random question. If i had a shockwave with an 18 inch barrel with a birdshead grip, would i be able to change out the barrel to a 14 inch one provided i keep the original grip configuration without needing a tax stamp, or would this run me into trouble with the feds?

Random question. If i had a shockwave with an 18 inch barrel with a birdshead grip, would i be able to change out the barrel to a 14 inch one provided i keep the original grip configuration without needing a tax stamp, or would this run me into trouble with the feds?
I believe you would run afoul of the law by doing that. Your model left the factory as a shotgun I believe. A shockwave leaves the factory as a firearm. Mass now considers it a pistol. So no longer available here. Of course I may be wrong but doing what you outlined would definitely lead you down a slippery slope.

Yes I believe you’d need a free state 14.5” barrel model that was bought/owned before the Healey ban in 2016.

I believe you would run afoul of the law by doing that. Your model left the factory as a shotgun I believe. A shockwave leaves the factory as a firearm.
Mossberg has been selling PGO (Pistol Grip Only) "firearms' for decades, under Federal law they're not shotguns, not even the 20" barreled Cruiser. Even the original PGO models included "black box" warnings that Federal law forbids retail sale to persons under age 21.

IMass now considers it a pistol. So no longer available here. Of course I may be wrong but doing what you outlined would definitely lead you down a slippery slope.
That's a separate issue entirely. State law doesn't need to agree with Federal law, but that doesn't excuse you from the need to comply with both.

MGL says:
Part I said:
''Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured...
. . .
''Sawed-off shotgun'', any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
. . .
''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Different screeners with different interpretations of the law?

Last edited:
it sounds like the only remaining method (in MA) is for an FFL to manufacture it on a Form 2, then transfer appropriately. But I'm neither a lawyer nor an FFL so I'd love to hear someone's opinion that actually knows that end...

SBRs and SBSs are now considered pistols in Mass and an FFL can run a foul of the AG by transfering them because they are not on the "THE LIST".

Looks like a useful vehicle stakeout weapon for the driver - passenger should have a SBR. But since when has “need” been a deterrent to “want”? 😅

Back
Top Bottom