Mossberg Shockwave

Does anyone have the shockwave 18.5 inch? How is it? I can imagine the 14 inch being actually easier to control... the 18.5 inch seems like it would be hard to shoot

be well

Hickok didn’t seem to have too much trouble.
View: https://youtu.be/UzfreZBvyyI

I just watched this video the other day. It was totally awesome. I believe the shotgun also makes an appearance in The Boondock Saints. But it reminds me of the Model 1887 and both are challenging to shoot unless you have experience with hip firing or shooting without rifle stocks.

Does anyone have the shockwave 18.5 inch? How is it? I can imagine the 14 inch being actually easier to control... the 18.5 inch seems like it would be hard to shoot

be well
Get a standard Mossberg 500 series or 870 and install a top-folding stock with pistol grip. You will find the weapon to be much easier to handle. Shockwave may be more concealable, but outside of a close-protection team, I see little need for a concealed shotgun.

I have my 18.5 590 setup with a side saddle and Shockwave grip and mini shell adapter. Very easy to shoot with the mini shell buckshot and slugs and holds a ton

Yeah, I suppose if that was my backyard, and I had all the time, tools and ammo that he has, I could be at least a little more like him.
There’s still time. He first had 2 different jobs before the Youtube channel. I only know this because I discovered the channel like 2 weeks ago and looked him up on wikipedia. Then again it’s way easier to do in a “free state” both price-wise and options-wise.

Only if you feel comfortable in a thong. I have mine set up with a laser, and the mini shell adaptor. ALSO, in the Free States, it can be carried loaded in a vehicle.

Paul Harrell did two videos on mini shells and I wouldn't want to use them based on what he portrayed. I have also seen them used in 3-gun and I see them function like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I maintain that minishells are crap based on their lack of power, unreliability, expense, and poor availability:

The Shock wave with 11 mini shells makes a great truck gun.
14" makes it a "Pistol" under New Hampshire state law (RSA 159:1). I am looking for a better way to smooth out the edge of the strap without the "ugly tape" fix demonstrated by Hickok45.

As for difficulty in aiming, control?

Problem solved -
(by Remington)

Last edited:
I have used the shockwave with the 14" barrel. Not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be. I mean its a CQB weapon, you aint going to hunt with it. Most of our homes have maybe 30" of open distance so 10 yards. It's not hard to control, is it easy?... no.

I think the 18.5" is stupid takes away from the concept. But thats all we can get in MA.

Remember all the people on here telling you it sucks either don't shoot often or are too old to handle it :D

A good guy had a 14.5” model FS on the forums not too long ago. It sold that’s for darn sure. So the free state models are definitely around.

I have a Shockwave and it is easier than a pistol grip shotgun. It doesn't recoil upward like a pistol grip, is not as punishing, but takes a bit of getting used to. You need a different approach to the shot, but once you're used to it, it's a breeze.

Adding a Crimson Trace laser saddle makes it way more practical.

Talon grip tape is also a must.

With mini shells it is something you can hand to your wife or a noob without worry of making them gunshy. It's just a fun gun.

It's not even that bad with magnums because of the way it recoils. Just don't try to aim it at eye level.

I bought a 12ga one from Four Seasons a while ago and honestly have never had any problems with it. With a cylinder choke and 2.75" 00 buckshot (9 pellets) it patterns well at about 15ft and is honestly really easy to shoot from the hip while being reasonably accurate. More than good enough for a HD situation. The recoil does take a minute to get used to because it pushes directly back at you with no muzzle flip at all. A firm grip with both hands spreads the load. My wife finds it easy enough to shoot too, though it's not a fun range gun for either of us.

Whatever you do, don't hold it up to your face and try to look down the bead.

Back
Top Bottom