• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg Shockwave

A good guy had a 14.5” model FS on the forums not too long ago. It sold that’s for darn sure. So the free state models are definitely around.

There’s 2 or 3 of them (14.5”) for sale on Armslist also in MA, but they’re all asking 1K each. lmao GTFO.

Yeah it has the “niche” item effect like Uzis do with the cool factor...jacks up the price like crazy.

Completely different animals for many reasons.

Regardless, I’d rather spend 700.00 on a 590A1 and have it actually be useful.

ETA: for that matter, even spending 350.00-400.00 on a regular 500 is money much better spent.

Last edited:

Both points are spot on. The 590A1 is actually useful. The Uzi and Shockwave are just two guns to add to the list of bad motherloving guns I want but don’t actually need. Speaking of that...I had a badass Model 1887 T-Series reproduction I 100% didn’t need on my Gunbroker watchlist that got popped without them even notifying me. Sad!

Pistol grip shotguns are stupid, shockwave included. Not to say that I don't have a pistol grip shotty buried in one of my safes somewhere but it's nothing but a toy.

ETA: for that matter, even spending 350.00-400.00 on a regular 500 is money much better spent.

Also if one is patient you can find deals with "Trash can shotguns". Find a gun shop that has a shitload of used
long guns. Every once in awhile you will find something like a 500 ATP etc buried amongst the poo etc for short
money. Old school rem 870s can be had for shot money too, back when they dint make them like doo doo. The
one shotgun I own is an older (well, by my standards) rem 870 18", great looking gun (blued, real wood furniture) only cost me like
$200 at the time.

-Mike

Getting a hold of one of the 14 inch Shockwaves in Mass is one of the few ways you can form 1 a short barrel shotgun in Mass.
if you want the 18.5 version, buy a used mossberg 500 like has been suggested and put the birdshead grip on yourself.
The grip is like $20

Also if one is patient you can find deals with "Trash can shotguns". Find a gun shop that has a shitload of used
long guns. Every once in awhile you will find something like a 500 ATP etc buried amongst the poo etc for short
money. Old school rem 870s can be had for shot money too, back when they dint make them like doo doo. The
one shotgun I own is an older (well, by my standards) rem 870 18", great looking gun (blued, real wood furniture) only cost me like
$200 at the time.

-Mike
I know a guy that did it as a hobby. Refurb a few old gun shop bargain rack scatterguns in his home workshop and flip them for pocket money for his other hobby: fishing. Had to be careful, though, since he did not have a FFL. Did a few a year only.

The only useful situation for a pistol grip shotgun I think would be inside a structure at hip-fire range - all the reviews I see on them at some point start doing other things that get stupid really fast.

In terms of stopping power and safety, ie one shot drop and not going through walls and into a neighbor's house, a shotgun is kinda ideal.

Cutting the length down to that 14.5 makes a shockwave more useful inside if you ask me. The problem with shotguns generally is even a min length home defense model is just a massive firearm.

Outside of that I agree, not useful.

I was lucky enough to get a 14 inch model in mass before they closed the door. Its a nice gun but not the first thing I would pick up if something went bump in the night.

Or if you prefer semi-auto, could build up a TAC13-SBA?

SBA-TAC13.png
13" barrel, Pistol grip, 5 round capacity, Versaport gas system.
Biggest downside is it relies on an superfluous "buffer tube" to make minimum OAL, would be the first to go if the ATF changes their mind again. That, and unobtainium in ban states.

I have used the shockwave with the 14" barrel. Not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be. I mean its a CQB weapon, you aint going to hunt with it. Most of our homes have maybe 30" of open distance so 10 yards. It's not hard to control, is it easy?... no.

I think the 18.5" is stupid takes away from the concept. But thats all we can get in MA.

Remember all the people on here telling you it sucks either don't shoot often or are too old to handle it :D
Try the Mossberg 590A1 with the Knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip. That's what I use on my 590A1 Mariner. I think my 2/5", .454, Ruger Alaskan recoils more than the Mariner, with the Knoxx pistol grip.

those of you who really want a shockwave or an SBS in MA have options that will not cost much more that MSRP of a free state guns
Would a "Shockwave" non-NFA build still run afoul of Massachusett's "sawed off shotgun" law? That is MGL C269 S10 + MGL C140 S121:
C140S120 said:
“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches
. . .
''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.
Note that this is subtly different from Federal law, but a weapon which never had an 18"+ barrel on it would not fit either definition.

Last edited:
A good guy had a 14.5” model FS on the forums not too long ago. It sold that’s for darn sure. So the free state models are definitely around.

that may be the one I picked up in a trade.. I looked for 9me of these for over a year before I found it In mass.

so fwiw.. my take on it, and for reference I have an Ithaca stakeout (aow) with a 14” bbl too.

both are well made and fun..

what I would say though. On standard 2-3/4 shells they are both miserable and no fun to shoot. But the birds head makes a big difference and makes it substantially less miserable.

but, once you add the mini shells the shockwave becomes a Really fun gun to shoot. And it is about 200% more accurate than a mini 14!

I think the animosity towards the Shockwave, is mostly fed by envy, of the PRM residents...THAT CANNOT OWN ONE! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I think the animosity towards the Shockwave, is mostly fed by envy, of the PRM residents...THAT CANNOT OWN ONE! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
I can own anything I want, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever want to own one of those rigs.
Unless I could get one cheap and flip it for an insane profit to some sap who absolutely has to have one

Would a "Shockwave" non-NFA build still run afoul of Massachusett's "sawed off shotgun" law? That is MGL C269 S10 + MGL C140 S121:

Note that this is subtly different from Federal law, but a weapon which never had an 18"+ barrel on it would not fit either definition.

No, because you are not making it from a shotgun, or altering a shot gun...A shockwave is classified as an other, Or a firearm or pistol I believe in MA... This is why it is important to have a receiver, that is Virgin, or has never had a stock or barrel over 18" installed on it....

Back
Top Bottom