• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 930 Large Cap?

Is the Mossberg 930 considered a large capacity shotgun? It holds 5 rounds plus one in the chamber and is semi-automatic.

I understand the definition of a large cap is 5+1 rounds, but I want to double check before I decide to apply for a FID or LTC.

I understand the definition of a large cap is 5+1 rounds, but I want to double check before I decide to apply for a FID or LTC.

You understand wrong.

A semi-auto shotgun is "large capacity" if its magazine can hold more than five shells.

There is ONLY one reason to apply for an FID card vs. LTC . . . if you are under 21 years old. [Nobody under 21 can be issued an LTC.]

Otherwise the FID is a waste of money, frustration (can't buy/possess much), costs the same, and essentially is the same process and time delay.

It's like being offered an otherwise identical 16 oz steak or a 4 oz steak for the exact same price. Even if you aren't real hungry, you paid for it and can take the left-overs home for another day (buy different guns within the 6 years if your interests increase to new areas).

There is ONLY one reason to apply for an FID card vs. LTC . . . if you are under 21 years old. [Nobody under 21 can be issued an LTC.]

Otherwise the FID is a waste of money, frustration (can't buy/possess much), costs the same, and essentially is the same process and time delay.

Merely one opinion.

For those whose chief will not issue them an LTC because of alleged "unsuitability," holding an FID:

1. Provides a means to continue owning and shooting guns, while:

2. Putting a thumb in the eye of the obstinate chief.

It is also a tactical advantage when reapplying for an LTC. It is harder for a chief to declare you "unsuitable" to own guns when he's already issued you a license allowing you to do so. [wink]

Actually Len,

There is ONE other reason...

If another chief like they had in Carver appears that refuses to issue any LTCs for any reason. But I do not know of any such towns or cities in that condition today.

If you apply for a LTC-A and they decide they don't want to grant one, they won't issue a FID instead, right? Thus, I might have to apply all over again for a FID and pay another $100. I'd rather just be guaranteed of being able to have some gun for home-defense than no gun at all.

You got to be a member of a club and have good references and write a letter...and even then there is no guarantee. So my choices are: (1) Pay $100 for the possibility you *might* be able to have a home-defense weapon + pepper spray or (2) pay $100 for a guarantee that you will be able to have a home-defense weapon + pepper spray. So the LTC only seems worth the trouble if you want a handgun or AR/M1A. I can keep those guns out of state.

Last edited:
Hey Maee,

First things first. What town do you live in. You never know, you might be in a Green town. Second, have you talked to the Chief, or whoever is in charge of filling out the paperwork? If so what did they say? Some more info would be a help.

-Kurt

Hey Maee,

First things first. What town do you live in. You never know, you might be in a Green town. Second, have you talked to the Chief, or whoever is in charge of filling out the paperwork? If so what did they say? Some more info would be a help.

-Kurt

I live in Cambridge and I talked to the firearms guy. He said I would "probably" get it. Problem is, he refused to say what type of references he was looking for. Since I'm a new resident, I don't know too many people from MA. I'm not sure if they discriminate against out of state references or references you haven't known for more than a year.

Last edited:
"Club membership" is not required by law and has been struck down as a requirement by the Quincy district court.

"Club membership" is not required by law and has been struck down as a requirement by the Quincy district court.

Too bad he doesn't live in Quincy. [rolleyes]

Counselor, you know how much clout a district court ruling pulls in another district! You are right, but this won't help him in PRC unless he wants to wage an expensive court battle. Plus there are no guarantees that the next judge abides by the law and puts personal prejudice aside (in spite of the fact that they are supposed to do exactly that)!

Also, from a realistic point of view, the only way any of us get to practice shooting (unless we live in very rural areas) is by going to a gun club somewhere. So joining one is a very good idea for reasons not related to illegal requirements by PDs.

Well, the club membership really isn't an issue since I plan on joining one anyway (already have it picked out). The main thing was just that I find the idea of the police calling my neighbors to ask them if I can own a gun to be awkward.

Last edited:
Maee, as far as i know they will not call your references. Mine weren't called.

Cambridge will issue you the LTC-A, but it will be restricted. I had the same thought (Boston resident) when I went through the application process and everyone I talked to said just go straight for an LTC-A. That's what I did, and I now have an LTC-A (restricted) which allows me to own whatever I want. You must know some people who wouldn't mind vouching for your "suitability" to own firearms. A reference only need be an adult who knows you relatively well.

As for a club, consider Mass Rifle Association. It's not too far from you.

The money isn't a big deal to me, its mainly the thought of having to wait another 2 months to apply all over again.

WHAT "2 months to apply?"

There is no such "waiting period" in Massachusetts law. Neither is being denied an LTC grounds in itself for being denied an FID.

Maee, as far as i know they will not call your references. Mine weren't called.

Cambridge will issue you the LTC-A, but it will be restricted. I had the same thought (Boston resident) when I went through the application process and everyone I talked to said just go straight for an LTC-A. That's what I did, and I now have an LTC-A (restricted) which allows me to own whatever I want. You must know some people who wouldn't mind vouching for your "suitability" to own firearms. A reference only need be an adult who knows you relatively well.

As for a club, consider Mass Rifle Association. It's not too far from you.

Well, if its that laid back, then I suppose I'll just apply for the LTC-A. Worth a shot I guess.

Last edited:
Well, if its that laid back, then I suppose I'll just apply for the LTC-A. Worth a shot I guess.

Unless you are an obviously "unsuitable" person (arrest record, restraining orders, etc.), you are likely to get it. I wouldn't worry too much. It'll be restricted, but that is still better than an FID.

Back
Top Bottom