• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 Shockwave legal in MA?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
Can I buy one of these from a shop in MA? I know I'm a couple years behind the times, just read about the Shockwave today. I might be interested in a 20ga or a .410.

If they are legal...and someone has a 20ga and they'd be willing to meet and let me give it a try, I'd give you a couple boxes of 9mm in return (and supply my own 20ga). I live on the northshore.

Thanks.

dealers in MA were selling the 590 shockwave (shorter barrel version) for a while. my understanding is that they were instructed that the shockwave was considered a "pistol" by BS criteria. this is state, not federal where it's a "firearm". consequently it got blocked out by virtue of the roster. my own experience w the shockwave is that it's an interesting but pretty stupid firearm. unpleasant to shoot and has nowhere near the functionality of a full size shotgun.

They friggin suck. Useless toy. My cousin had one....for one range outing.....and sold it.

Didn't know they made it in 410.....would be more manageable but what would you use a birdshead grip short barrel 410 for?

For something short, and not sure if they are legal either, a ksg looks real sweet and its not a pistol by any definition Ive heard.

They friggin suck. Useless toy. My cousin had one....for one range outing.....and sold it.

Didn't know they made it in 410.....would be more manageable but what would you use a birdshead grip short barrel 410 for?

.410 with a short barrel?

upload_2019-5-16_22-53-39.jpeg

Why is the butt rounded? Is that to make sure it destroys your shoulder?

I have one in 12ga, and it's plenty manageable, for most guys. It's not meant to be held up to your shoulder, and shot from the hip, naturally hits where you want it to. I did put a laser on it, but rarely use it. Hey, some guys get PTSD from shooting an AR. kunt.jpg

The shock wave is the perfect gun to SBS just ad a folding stock and pay the $200 tax and your good to go that's what I was planning on doing with one.

But wanted to get the one with the brace and see if I even need to SBS it or just keep it with the brace and save the 200 dollar's

I have one in 12ga, and it's plenty manageable, for most guys. It's not meant to be held up to your shoulder, and shot from the hip, naturally hits where you want it to. I did put a laser on it, but rarely use it. Hey, some guys get PTSD from shooting an AR.View attachment 285035

By manageable on the 410 I was not speaking to recoil......was talking about a smaller action being easier you manipulate. Guess I wasn't specific enough.

Thanks for the insult......I'm sure it makes you feel just a little better about yourself today. Glad I could help you with that.

I'm not recoil shy and "managed" the recoil fine. Shotguns with heavy loads are a regular thing for me. The issue with the shockwave imo was NOT being able to shoulder it......and racking the pump is awkward.....when a shotgun is shouldered the pump is easier and much faster to rack because it's against the shoulder. When I've tried a pistol grip it was easier than the shockwave because the rear hand is in a better position to stabilize the gun when racking.....(pushing back against the palm at 90 degrees) with the shockwave the angle of the rear grip makes short stroking the pump a problem and slower as well.

Never really been a fan of pistol grip shotguns I've tried.....and the shockwave grip makes a less than optimal set up even worse.

I get it that it can be made into a sbs by adding a but stock and that makes sense.

Last edited:
The shock wave is the perfect gun to SBS just ad a folding stock and pay the $200 tax and your good to go that's what I was planning on doing with one.

But wanted to get the one with the brace and see if I even need to SBS it or just keep it with the brace and save the 200 dollar's

I’m sure you know SB Tactical makes one specific for the Rem Tac series. It would probably work on the shockwave. At $159 I would just pay the stamp and have a lot more options. Including a cheap Magpul stock.

By manageable on the 410 I was not speaking to recoil......was talking about a smaller action being easier you manipulate. Guess I wasn't specific enough.

Thanks for the insult......I'm sure it makes you feel just a little better about yourself today. Glad I could help you with that.

I'm not recoil shy and "managed" the recoil fine. Shotguns with heavy loads are a regular thing for me. The issue with the shockwave imo was NOT being able to shoulder it......and racking the pump is awkward.....when a shotgun is shouldered the pump is easier and much faster to rack because it's against the shoulder. When I've tried a pistol grip it was easier than the shockwave because the rear hand is in a better position to stabilize the gun when racking.....(pushing back against the palm at 90 degrees) with the shockwave the angle of the rear grip makes short stroking the pump a problem and slower as well.

Never really been a fan of pistol grip shotguns I've tried.....and the shockwave grip makes a less than optimal set up even worse.

I get it that it can be made into a sbs by adding a but stock and that makes sense.

Pretty sure @Bt74 was just making a joke in jest and not targeting anyone. He also says he's "rarely use[d] it." I don't think anyone's going to seriously argue in favor of the Shockwave being used for say a round of skeet or trap or sporting clays or turkey or goose hunting or 3-gun. It's effectively a billy club with the ability to fire shotshells.

Pretty sure @Bt74 was just making a joke in jest and not targeting anyone. He also says he's "rarely use[d] it." I don't think anyone's going to seriously argue in favor of the Shockwave being used for say a round of skeet or trap or sporting clays or turkey or goose hunting or 3-gun. It's effectively a billy club with the ability to fire shotshells.
Seen a YouTube video of a guy deer hunting with it using buckshot. He admits a bow has longer range......was doing it for the challenge.....and he killed a doe at 10 yards.

Seen a YouTube video of a guy deer hunting with it using buckshot. He admits a bow has longer range......was doing it for the challenge.....and he killed a doe at 10 yards.

It's a 12-gauge shell - it'll do what a normal 12-gauge will do, just less effectively.

Yeah, I was yankin his chain, that being said, it's a fun gun to shoot, legal to carry loaded in my truck, and I "rarely use" the laser, as it is red, and doesn't show up all that well in bright daylight. Oh, and to mitigate the "Kuntzman" factor, I love shooting the minishells.

Yeah, I was yankin his chain, that being said, it's a fun gun to shoot, legal to carry loaded in my truck, and I "rarely use" the laser, as it is red, and doesn't show up all that well in bright daylight. Oh, and to mitigate the "Kuntzman" factor, I love shooting the minishells.
Chain yanking vs insult is tough to decipher on the interwebs :D

Thanks for the info. How long is the MA barrel?

The MA version is the 18.5" barrel version with an OAL of 30.75". Kind of defeats the purpose with the longer barrel required to Massify this gun, but then again, not sure exactly what purpose gun had in the first place.

If I were to own the original, I think I'd get the adapter to run minishells.

Can I buy one of these from a shop in MA? I know I'm a couple years behind the times, just read about the Shockwave today. I might be interested in a 20ga or a .410.

If they are legal...and someone has a 20ga and they'd be willing to meet and let me give it a try, I'd give you a couple boxes of 9mm in return (and supply my own 20ga). I live on the northshore.

Thanks.

I would just get ( oh wait i have one ) a Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410 gauge and use it as a home defence gun so you don't blow through the walls like a 12 gauge would.

Like this one it looks bigger than it really is
Screenshot_2019-05-17-09-55-16-1.png

It's possession-legal in MA but no dealer will sell you one (well, at least not intact) because EOPS says it has to be on the handgun roster BS.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom