• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 Shockwave legal in MA?

I would just get ( oh wait i have one ) a Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410 gauge and use it as a home defence gun so you don't blow through the walls like a 12 gauge would.

Like this one it looks bigger than it really is
View attachment 285068

This is what I want after I get my Sub2000. I think it would make a perfect truck gun and a great option for my wife who has recoil issues with even a 20g, never mind a 12g. Plus I honestly wouldn't want to be down range from any shotgun even a .410 with any load but especial buck shot or a turkey load.

This is what I want after I get my Sub2000. I think it would make a perfect truck gun and a great option for my wife who has recoil issues with even a 20g, never mind a 12g. Plus I honestly wouldn't want to be down range from any shotgun even a .410 with any load but especial buck shot or a turkey load.

I put these rounds in it perfect for home defense.

393924.jpg 84b122bc91add9d63855b87dd235ee41-1-1.jpg

599762-1.jpg 6379586238 Critical Defense 410-section-above.61f88cee-1.jpg

I tried those through my Henry 410 lever action and they patterned terribly even through a full choke. The slugs went through the target board sideways and at 25 feet the spread was about 12 inches. As with all shotgons.....pattern your loads.....for hunting or defense.

With standard 410 buck the pattern was TIGHT and so is Remington birdhot. Don't use my 410 for HD but just wanted to see what it would do. My Henry 410 is a small game hunting gun.

I tried those through my Henry 410 lever action and they patterned terribly even through a full choke. The slugs went through the target board sideways and at 25 feet the spread was about 12 inches. As with all shotgons.....pattern your loads.....for hunting or defense.

With standard 410 buck the pattern was TIGHT and so is Remington birdhot. Don't use my 410 for HD but just wanted to see what it would do. My Henry 410 is a small game hunting gun.

The disks are ment to tumble so it makes a larger wound channel for close in door personal defence and so it won't go through sheet rock blue board and hit some one in the other room.

They friggin suck. Useless toy. My cousin had one....for one range outing.....and sold it.

Didn't know they made it in 410.....would be more manageable but what would you use a birdshead grip short barrel 410 for?
We just put a top-folding stock with pistol grip on one of our 870s and called it good. We duplicated the Secret Service version except for the 18" barrel. If this 870 was one inch shorter in overall length, it would be classified as an NFA firearm.

The disks are ment to tumble so it makes a larger wound channel for close in door personal defence and so it won't go through sheet rock blue board and hit some one in the other room.
Not the disks.......the actual projectile in the one with a slug and two buckshot pellets. The hornady shells.....Your picture has two different types.....i am referring to the lower one in the pic. The slug tumbles and keyholes and the pattern was way too big.

Thats through my shotgun......another gun may be good. Just a reminder to pattern your loads......you'd be surprised at how some pattern terribly.

Last edited:
**** I just noticed, the May Giveaway gun is a Mossberg Shockwave!

More info: I'm an older woman with arthritis in my right hand and a bum shoulder. I was thinking of the Shockwave as a hiking gun.
I have a 20ga 500 with a Knoxx Recoil reducing stock, it's like shooting a .22lr. But it's bigger than I want to carry.

Last edited:
Not the disks.......the actual projectile in the one with a slug and two buckshot pellets. The hornady shells.....Your picture has two different types.....i am referring to the lower one in the pic. The slug tumbles and keyholes and the pattern was way too big.

Thats through my shotgun......another gun may be good. Just a reminder to pattern your loads......you'd be surprised at how some pattern terribly.

Oh crap well that really sucks I thought you meant the disk ammo

The whole point of the slug with the point is to fly strait like a bullet..

I stagger the ammo 2 rounds of one kind then 2 rounds of the other.

**** I just noticed, the May Giveaway gun is a Mossberg Shockwave!

More info: I'm an older woman with arthritis in my right hand and a bum shoulder. I was thinking of the Shockwave as a hiking gun.
I have a 20ga 500 with a Knoxx Recoil reducing stock, it's like shooting a .22lr. But it's bigger than I want to carry.

There's two main problems with the Shockwave and similar guns thereto:

1) Its slower to shoot because you don't have a stock to put against your shoulder; and
2) Its less accurate because you're either shooting from the hip or shooting from the shoulder but without the gun contacting your shoulder

Because the gun has no stock unless you add one and SBS it (or add a stock to a 18.5" model and make... a normal shotgun...), its also harder recoiling and all that energy goes into your hand. If you have an arthritic hand, the Shockwave would be brutal. Your shooting hand would be taking the full force of a defensive load.

Why not get a Mass-friendly AR or AK? If you must have something of a bigger caliber, what about a carbine version of the M1A or a 7.62x54r Vepr or something? You should be fine in New England with a 10mm, .45ACP, .357 (Magnum or SIG), .44 Special or Magnum, .45LC, or .30 Carbine handgun. Or better yet, a big-bore pistol caliber carbine. Black bears aren't a big threat in New England. Moose in the rut are a serious threat and you're going to need something of a large caliber and quick to shoot (not a Shockwave) if you want a gun for the purpose. The most common problem while hiking, however, is two-legged predators.

i have a choked, ported, 18.5 in barrel fn pump [ really a winchester model 1200 ] alloy recveiver with a knox recoil reducing top folding stock. 7 plus 1 rounds. perfect and lightweight. no need for silly hi cap ksg or others for you can reload a pump as you shoot. slings across the back just fine. versatile since you can change barrel and mag lengths as needed.

Last edited:
i have a choked, ported, 18.5 in barrel fn pump [ really a winchester model 1200 ] alloy recveiver with a knox recoil reducing top folding stock. 7 plus 1 rounds. perfect and lightweight. no need for silly hi cap ksg or others for you can reload a pump as you shoot. slings across the back just fine. versatile since you can change barrel and mag lengths as needed.

This Knoxx folding stock sounds interesting. I'll be looking into it - thanks for the info.

[pics]

I like it! Thanks.

That shottie/bando combo, looks like it'll get the job done!

View attachment 285340 View attachment 285341 ok ok. images of ported, choked fn 7 plus one pump with knoxx folding recoil reducing stock. go time 55 round fruit salad bandolier. alloy frame, gun is light; only shot 3 inch once from the waist, almost got hit in the face

If you haven't it discovered already, those elastic band shogun bandoliers are nothing but an invitation to lose half or more of the ammo you are carrying.
They are absolutely worthless for anything other than posing for pictures. A haversack of any type draped over your shoulder is a better alternative.

My son has a KSG and it's very short and handy. It's also amazingly accurate with Federal Tru Ball slugs. He took a deer with it last season. If you really want the Shockwave, look at an AOW. I have a 590 AOW and the tax stamp is only$5.00.

By manageable on the 410 I was not speaking to recoil......was talking about a smaller action being easier you manipulate. Guess I wasn't specific enough.

Thanks for the insult......I'm sure it makes you feel just a little better about yourself today. Glad I could help you with that.

I'm not recoil shy and "managed" the recoil fine. Shotguns with heavy loads are a regular thing for me. The issue with the shockwave imo was NOT being able to shoulder it......and racking the pump is awkward.....when a shotgun is shouldered the pump is easier and much faster to rack because it's against the shoulder. When I've tried a pistol grip it was easier than the shockwave because the rear hand is in a better position to stabilize the gun when racking.....(pushing back against the palm at 90 degrees) with the shockwave the angle of the rear grip makes short stroking the pump a problem and slower as well.

Never really been a fan of pistol grip shotguns I've tried.....and the shockwave grip makes a less than optimal set up even worse.

I get it that it can be made into a sbs by adding a but stock and that makes sense.
Ya makes sense if you ain't got the muscle for it but if you do with a red dot this shit would be a fine defensive weapon jmo

Back
Top Bottom