• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg .22 not firing

Hey everyone.

Today I went to Georgetown Fish & Game and shot my Mosin and attempted to shoot my .22.

It was feeding fine... But when I cocked it and pulled the trigger, nada. Nothing happened.

I dry fired it MINIMALLY before today, and it seemed to work fine.

I just wanted to ask if I should take it to a gunsmith, or try to figure it out myself. I have 200+ rounds of .22lr that I want to shoot.

Thanks a lot for looking... I hope I can figure this out.

Have you taken it apart lately? If not you might want to in case the spring broke. If it doesn't click it shouldn't be a broken firing pin.

Here are the disassembly instructions for a 151M. The only difference between a 151m and an M-B are sight changes. Pay particular attention to how the spring is situated. It is common to be assembled wrong and my favorite part is I can buy them cheap because they don't work.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/151m-assemble.htm

UPDATE: Went to the range today with Dirtypacman and we messed with it a bit... It feeds rounds fine.. We even got it to fire ONCE... but that was it.

So I'm puzzled as to why it shot ONCE but only once. Going to try to take it to have someone look at it this weekend.

Broken firing pin? Maybe it's still protruding just a little, or maybe its in there, but broken.
You can lift the firing pin without removing it. Try not to push the firing pin past the staking if you don't need to remove it. You can see the stake marks in the last picture.

IMG_3502.jpg

It should have a beveled end and it only protrudes about 3/32"-1/8" when the bolt is closed.

IMG_3503.jpg

Here is the complete bolt.

IMG_3504.jpg

Those old Mossberg semis are notorious for breaking firing pins. Find a local guy who has a garage full of parts or maybe Numrich has them.

Back
Top Bottom