• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More ATF BS; closing the "private sale loophole"

allen-1

NES Member
One of the things that I truly love about GA is that private party gun sales that require NOTHING from the state are legal. People here tend to ask to see the buyer's weapons permit, but that's about it, (because selling to a prohibited person is a problem).

The ATF would like to change that.

FFS - private sales without a BG check is not a "loophole." It was a specific carve-out (part of "legislative intent") that was part of the Brady background check bill. They never would have gotten dealer/FFL background checks passed if they DIDN'T allow for private sales without them.

Also -- "I'll sell you this stripped lower for $1 -- NO PROFIT -- if you buy this pencil for $300." Or is there a law about selling #2 pencils for profit?

FFS - private sales without a BG check is not a "loophole." It was a specific carve-out (part of "legislative intent") that was part of the Brady background check bill. They never would have gotten dealer/FFL background checks passed if they DIDN'T allow for private sales without them.

Also -- "I'll sell you this stripped lower for $1 -- NO PROFIT -- if you buy this pencil for $300." Or is there a law about selling #2 pencils for profit?
Today's compromise is tomorrow's loophole.

This one's easy, buy a gun for MSRP+$1,000 and get $1,000 cashback at time of sale. Your cost is still $MSRP+$1000. So as long as you sell for $MSRP +$999 you're good. Or, just ignore the stupid rule. Burden of proof is on them what you paid for the firearm (hint, they have no idea...).

OK, fine. let me get an FFL. I'd be just fine happy if I could get a pre-Clinton era kitchen table FFL.

What? I can't have an FFL because I don't sell enough guns? Fine, I'll sell without an FFL. Wait, that's not OK either?

"for a profit"? What the f*** is that all about? Now apply it to houses. Or cars. Or beanie-babies. Or baseball cards, comic books, or Sriracha, or Nvida cards, or bitcoin, or stocks.

Do you need to have a real estate licence or automotive dealer's licence, or retail establishment licence, or a pawnbroker's licence?

1691713333749.png

AFAIK the beginning of this wikipedia part is true, and WAS part of the legislative intent (provisions). And also AFAIK the underlined part is NOT true, and is a mistake on this wiki. It may be what they want, but isn't true nationally.

View attachment 784141

AFAIK the beginning of this wikipedia part is true, and WAS part of the legislative intent (provisions). And also AFAIK the underlined part is NOT true, and is a mistake on this wiki. It may be what they want, but isn't true nationally.

Do you think it's possible that Wiki did this intentionally (at the request of their leftist overlords) to fool people into believing that this is the law ???

Childish games like this don't work in Federal Courts. Something so transparent won't even slow down your prosecution.

7vfu9a.jpg

Unfortunately, this one is going to be difficult to overturn, because of the law Congress passed last year.

They changed the need to obtain an FFL from “engaging in the business” from meaning:

“with the principal objective of livelihood and profit”
To
“to predominantly earn a profit”

I still think they’re way overreaching. The intent was clearly, but they’re going to use that change of USC as justification.

View attachment 784141

i just edited the wiki to take that out...

Damn. I might be on the ATF's side on this one. It would certainly expedite my ability to get "pre-ban-configured" firearms in MA legally without state interference. "Sorry, I'm a dealer." [rofl]

Imagine if Maura et, al, actually came out AGAINST this as it ends up end-running MA laws.

What's the difficulty in becoming a Class III dealer??? Even just for silencers. Dealers can have silencers, right? For demonstration to potential customers????

One of the things that I truly love about GA is that private party gun sales that require NOTHING from the state are legal. People here tend to ask to see the buyer's weapons permit, but that's about it, (because selling to a prohibited person is a problem).

The ATF would like to change that.

Since that's blatantly unconstitutional, I'd expect we can safely ignore any such regulations.

Seems as if this should be in the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022 thread, for which Republicans happily voted. Executive Order 14092 (2023), directing the AG to
implement a plan to
  • expand background checks by redefining who is "in the business of" selling firearms to include more private sellers and
  • expand the Undetectable Firearms Act,
was a result of that law.

This is why one never should give an inch or succumb to the fiction that a law championed by the civilian disarmament lobby and intended as an umbrella for additional prohibitions is no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom