Modifying preban uzi mags for AR9 colt lower

Kgordon4

NES Member
looking for some help with modifying my preban uzi mags to work with my spike’s tactical AR9 colt lower. Anyone do this in the Worcester MA area preferably?

Yeah, I saved those drawings. I was mainly looking for someone who could help with the modification. I don’t want to f*** my mags up

I've tried it a few times. Never get it right. Bought 3 plastic mags instead.
Then I moved on to MEAN ARMS mag adapters, will never turn back.
No mag blocks, just change the upper stick in the mag, and GO!!

RC

Edited because I missed a step, You cannot shoot 9mm through a 5.56 upper.

Last edited:
I butchered a few Uzi mags, nether one of them runs reliably in my Colt pattern PCC. I ended up buying some preban Colt mags of Gunbroker, if you're patient, you can find them below $100.

BTW LMK if you need ugly but still usable Uzi mags(I mean usable for Uzi) cheap.

Remember too the converted Uzi mags do not hold the bolt back after last round. That always was JV in my mind

Remember too the converted Uzi mags do not hold the bolt back after last round. That always was JV in my mind
JV on who's part?

Uzi mags were designed for an open bolt sugbun. You don't want the bolt back when inserting a magazine in an open bolt gun.
The Uzi bolt has a fixed firing pin. If the bolt goes forward while inserting a mag, it's going to fire.
You also want the bolt closed to try and keep dust and dirt out of the gun.

A bolt hold open tab can be added to an Uzi mag follower for use in a semiauto AR9. More work than it's worth.

AK's don't hold open either.

Im confused.. it’s been a while.
I just use a Mag insert in a regular lower run unmodified mags. The mod is pretty easy…
I just went with colt 9mm mags. Uzi is the cheaper way to go but I only own two Uzi mags for my full auto so I didn’t wanna f*** with them.
I’m not sure what the current price of a I’m not sure what the current price of an Uzi mag is but they used to be dirt cheap and that’s why people did it One of my God. I was gonna try because somebody already ran it over with something. You can’t fill it all the way.

JV on who's part?

A bolt hold open tab can be added to an Uzi mag follower for use in a semiauto AR9. More work than it's worth.

JV on the part of the person that spends 000s on a rifle and then wants to save a few bucks on the mag so settles for losing functionality of their gun

JV on the part of the person that spends 000s on a rifle and then wants to save a few bucks on the mag so settles for losing functionality of their gun
Some people will sacrifice that function instead of paying a few hundred dollars to have a decent stash of preban mags.

I wouldn't spend a hundred bucks +- on a preban mag of any type. I'd sooner travel to where regular mags could be had and buy them.

Notch cut Uzi mags work great if you don't mind the no bolt hold open after the last round. This has never been a problem for me. The price for pre-ban Colt 9mm mags is over $100.00 per mag. Uzi mags are cheep. It is not difficult to notch the Uzi mags using a drill press. As far as modifying an Uzi mag to hold the bolt open can be done however really not worth the work.

I hate how after you mess up the mag for the AR, they are messed up for the UZI now too.
You have to hold that button down the entire time you are pulling out the mag or it catches on that AR15 notch.

Also you can snip part of the follower and bend it upward and over to create a meathod to activate the bolt catch.

Just use the MEAN ARMS mag adapters. So much easier. No mag blocks either.
And the gun looks normal and not like it has a birth defect.

RC

I hate how after you mess up the mag for the AR, they are messed up for the UZI now too.
You have to hold that button down the entire time you are pulling out the mag or it catches on that AR15 notch.

Also you can snip part of the follower and bend it upward and over to create a meathod to activate the bolt catch.

Just use the MEAN ARMS mag adapters. So much easier. No mag blocks either.
And the gun looks normal and not like it has a birth defect.

RC
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: [laugh] [laugh] Obviously you've never done it and are not familiar with either gun.

The mag latch slot for an Uzi mag in an Uzi is about three inches away from the mod slot for an AR9.

The Uzi mag remains functional in an Uzi even after the AR9 mod is done.

Why not just run colt mags?
1. Price
2. Availability

I use a Rock River Arms ar15 to 9mm adapter in my 9mm ARs since pre ban Uzi mags are easy and cheap to come by. I had them notched and updated on a Nissin 5 axis milling machine (yeah, overkill), but the guy at our club who does his with a dremmel does not seem to have reliability problems and is at the USPSA Grandmaster level in PCC (Pistol Calber Carbine) competitive shooting.

The other options was a Glock mag lower - but pre ban long sticks (Glock or Scherer) are pricey and hard to come by. When they come up on NES they are generally offered by "I Know what I've got" types who ask $300 and bump the post for months :oops:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: [laugh] [laugh] Obviously you've never done it and are not familiar with either gun.

The mag latch slot for an Uzi mag in an Uzi is about three inches away from the mod slot for an AR9.

The Uzi mag remains functional in an Uzi even after the AR9 mod is done.
Yeah I know. I have it. What I'm saying is when you remove the magazine, normally you just press he button on the bottom of the UZI's grip and pull the mag out with the same hand in one motion. Now with this added slot it catches again right before getting removed, so you have to move your hand and press that button again so it clears over that second notch.

RC

We have done them before. Its two cuts as the drawings show, one for the mag catch and one to enable the bolt to pass through the mag. We have a jig for our milling machine to enable us to do them repeatably.

You CAN get them to lock open on empty. The follower is steel. You can mill a track in the back of the follower and spot weld spring steal onto it and the extended spring steel will activate the bolt catch. We have not done this but there are many videos on YouTube showing this being done. Not offering to do this but someone might be able to help on it.

If you are looking to get the mags done (no lock open), contact the gunsmith out of our shop, Henry. Text him @ 978 431 0305

Hi there. I modified numbers of UZI magazines. It takes time and efforts but it worsted. Now I have legal prebun 25 rounds magazines

Back
Top Bottom