Model 36 Chiefs Special

View attachment 775072
I agree with you 100%. This pre Model 10 was made in 1941. I wish they’d reintroduce this style. When you pick it up, it’s got “something”. Call it a soul, a presence, whatever you want but the new stuff just doesn’t seem to have it.

Exactly. I feel like you either "get it" or you don't, but I don't hold that against people who don't get it. Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks; obviously there's a healthy market for people who don't care about these things, otherwise the striker-fired plastic gun would not dominate the market now. I understand that; those people are entitled to spend their money on that kind of gun if they want to, and I wish them well.

But I'd never, ever want to trade places with them. I think a pencil-barreled Model 10 is as smooth, elegant, and perfect as a mass-produced revolver ever got.

Exactly. I feel like you either "get it" or you don't, but I don't hold that against people who don't get it. Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks; obviously there's a healthy market for people who don't care about these things, otherwise the striker-fired plastic gun would not dominate the market now. I understand that; those people are entitled to spend their money on that kind of gun if they want to, and I wish them well.

But I'd never, ever want to trade places with them. I think a pencil-barreled Model 10 is as smooth, elegant, and perfect as a mass-produced revolver ever got.
I wonder how the same gun in either 357 or 327 Federal would sell. By that I mean if they would reintroduce the style but with the updated calibers.

In my world, the next best thing to a Model 10 is a Model 13

Granted there is no pencil barrel, but the older versions are classic K frame art

Some day I'll have a Model 10..... we all have to have something to wish for right?

In my world, the next best thing to a Model 10 is a Model 13

Granted there is no pencil barrel, but the older versions are classic K frame art

Some day I'll have a Model 10..... we all have to have something to wish for right?

They're available for pretty short money. I've owned several over the years; my current Model 10 is actually a nickel snubbie.

Put a target hammer on that bad boy, and it'll never get better.

I bought a used 13 a couple of years ago. 4” heavy barrel. I wanted the three inch but I couldn’t find one. Meanwhile, I love this revolver. The action is as smooth as you can imagine and it hits to point of aim. It’s scratched up and the hammer has 1/8” missing from the spur but it’s a great gun.

I have two model 10s, a model 13 3-in barrel, and a model 18 with a 4-in barrel. I guess you could say that I like k frames. I must also be an old guy because I carry a 642 no lock as my low profile self-defense pistol. Did I mention my model 36 with a 3-in barrel?

In my opinion everybody should have at least one model 10 and a Ruger 10/22.

That's a '56 F100 vs '23 F150 comparison though. I have several old guns and I admire the workmanship, design, and history of them. But I still carry a modern striker fired gun day to day.

There were many, many changes in all the Smith models over the years. They're not at all identical; looking at a pic of a modern Model 36 and the OP's piece will show you several differences obvious to the naked eye, and several others internally. They're on at least the tenth version of it around now. That's at least ten changes significant enough to alter the production line, but it's probably many more than just ten changes. Different versions usually incorporated many tiny changes to a number of parts.
So, at what point did the changes stop making the guns better, and start making them inferior? I'm talking about design, not materials. I'm guessing a 1980 Model 66 in stainless was pretty decent. Have the steels improved or degraded since then?

When did the 642 come out? Was there an older version which was better than the current version?

I am all for the "they don't make them like they used to", but I thought the current designs on all of these were just incremental improvements, not setbacks. I really haven't studied the history of them, and really thought the biggest change was in the actual metal.

All this said, what is a "good year" to look at for a Model 36? Model 60? Model 642?

I'm fascinated. Also, I thought most of NES was against the small J frame revolvers. Seems like that's not the case reading in this post.

That's a '56 F100 vs '23 F150 comparison though. I have several old guns and I admire the workmanship, design, and history of them. But I still carry a modern striker fired gun day to day.

I suppose so. But there are probably folks out there still driving '56 F150s to this day lol.

Like I said, I get it. Striker guns dominate the market. They've clearly "won." Fortunately for people like me, they're not the only choice. I get it; I owned a Glock for 12 years. I never did bond with it, and I like to bond with my guns. YMMV.

So, at what point did the changes stop making the guns better, and start making them inferior? I'm talking about design, not materials. I'm guessing a 1980 Model 66 in stainless was pretty decent. Have the steels improved or degraded since then?

That's all a matter of opinion and preference. For my preferences, 1980 is a little late for an S&W revolver; the newest one I've owned was an '85, and I don't own it anymore. I've never fired one newer than that, though I've handled modern ones.

I am all for the "they don't make them like they used to", but I thought the current designs on all of these were just incremental improvements, not setbacks.

Again, "setbacks" is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of people don't see them as setbacks; it's about individual preference.

I really haven't studied the history of them, and really thought the biggest change was in the actual metal.

There are reference books about all this, plus an entire S&W forum. I'm MUCH more knowledgeable about the changes in Webley revolvers than the changes in S&W revolvers, though, so you're asking the wrong guy. ;)

I'm fascinated. Also, I thought most of NES was against the small J frame revolvers. Seems like that's not the case reading in this post.

There's an entire Snubby thread here.

I normally carry a BHP or a CLOACP, but when I'm in a revolver mood, it's always either a Model 10 snubby or a Model 36 for me.

I suppose so. But there are probably folks out there still driving '56 F150s to this day lol.

Like I said, I get it. Striker guns dominate the market. They've clearly "won." Fortunately for people like me, they're not the only choice. I get it; I owned a Glock for 12 years. I never did bond with it, and I like to bond with my guns. YMMV.

That's all a matter of opinion and preference. For my preferences, 1980 is a little late for an S&W revolver; the newest one I've owned was an '85, and I don't own it anymore. I've never fired one newer than that, though I've handled modern ones.

Again, "setbacks" is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of people don't see them as setbacks; it's about individual preference.

There are reference books about all this, plus an entire S&W forum. I'm MUCH more knowledgeable about the changes in Webley revolvers than the changes in S&W revolvers, though, so you're asking the wrong guy. ;)

There's an entire Snubby thread here.

I normally carry a BHP or a CLOACP, but when I'm in a revolver mood, it's always either a Model 10 snubby or a Model 36 for me.
I suppose it depends on what I’m wearing too. Occasionally I’ll carry a 642 with a 442. Often I’ll carry a Glock or a 1911. I’ve even carried my Colt 1903. I don’t carry my pre model 10 but I have carried my 13. Still I have to wonder how that style would play in the modern market if it was reintroduced in a 357 or 327.

I suppose it depends on what I’m wearing too. Occasionally I’ll carry a 642 with a 442. Often I’ll carry a Glock or a 1911. I’ve even carried my Colt 1903. I don’t carry my pre model 10 but I have carried my 13. Still I have to wonder how that style would play in the modern market if it was reintroduced in a 357 or 327.

To me, the beauty of the Model 10 is that it's sized and proportioned well for .38spl, especially with a square butt.

I've never shot a Smith in .357, but I've read a lot of folks who say Ruger does .357 wheelguns better (I used to carry one of those). As I said above, I've never felt undergunned with .38spl (-P, if that's a thing). I feel like it's enough to put people down well enough to get me out of trouble.

To me, the beauty of the Model 10 is that it's sized and proportioned well for .38spl, especially with a square butt.

I've never shot a Smith in .357, but I've read a lot of folks who say Ruger does .357 wheelguns better (I used to carry one of those). As I said above, I've never felt undergunned with .38spl (-P, if that's a thing). I feel like it's enough to put people down well enough to get me out of trouble.
I carried my 4” GP100 on an armed security job after the Army. I was young and didn’t mind the giant hunk of steel.

The Model 10 and all other K frame Smiths is the direct descendent of the original "Hand Ejector" introduced by S&W in 1896. The original .357 guns were built on the larger N frame starting in the mid 1930s. K frames in .357 , including the Model 13 are sort of a compromise to allow for a lighter weight gun with a more powerful round. I don't shoot .357 in my 13, but could.

I'm not familiar with the Ruger guns, but if they are heavier than the K frames, that might make them better to shoot.

Modern .38spcl rounds are perfectly fine for self defense. The original rounds were 158gr RNL and that was the standard police round into the early 1980s. JHP rounds are a much better self defense round.

I have fired .357 out of a model 13, it was better when I had Pachmayer grips on the gun though, I prefer a good .38 Spl +P over the .357... just a personal preference thing

As I said above, I've never felt undergunned with .38spl (-P, if that's a thing). I feel like it's enough to put people down well enough to get me out of trouble.
I'm a big fan of .38spl and it can definitely be effective. In this day and age though it's the capacity that's the limiting factor.

That being said, of all my Ruger and S&W revolvers, the GP100 wins as far as "built like a brick house" goes!

There are reference books about all this, plus an entire S&W forum. I'm MUCH more knowledgeable about the changes in Webley revolvers than the changes in S&W revolvers, though, so you're asking the wrong guy.
Wow, thanks. Sounds like I knocked on a door I did not even know existed until now. Things are no longer as simple as I once thought they were. Sounds like a lot of nuances and variations galore. Thanks, everyone, for your explanations.

Wow, thanks. Sounds like I knocked on a door I did not even know existed until now. Things are no longer as simple as I once thought they were. Sounds like a lot of nuances and variations galore. Thanks, everyone, for your explanations.

NES at its best!

Back
Top Bottom