Model 36 Chiefs Special

Post a pic here. We'll tell you all we know.

I could tell you "pre lock" means there's no little keyhole partially obscured by the cylinder release, and then ask you what shape the cylinder release is, but if you don't even know what "pre lock" means, I have to wonder what else you don't know.

Seriously, just post a pic. Both sides. I LOVE model 36s.

here is what I have

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-2300.JPG
    IMG-2300.JPG
    563 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-2295.jpg
    IMG-2295.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-2294.jpg
    IMG-2294.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-2290.JPG
    IMG-2290.JPG
    663.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-2288.jpg
    IMG-2288.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-2287.jpg
    IMG-2287.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG-2286.jpg
    IMG-2286.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
I've shot a Model 36 in the past using both the factory grips and a set of Pachmayer ones. My accuracy was better with the Pachmayer, but the factory grips seemed to give a more pleasant shooting experience.

Flat-latch 36, made between 1950 and 1966. Serial suggests 1953, I think.

I think it's been refinished.

That's a baby chief. Extra screw and rounded trigger guard. Early model 36 (pre 36) prob 1950's.

OP, you got a really cool old gun. I don't have time to look things up right now, but the above info is good.

I would call it a pre-36 because it does not have the 36 marked on the frame where the yoke closes. The model numbers were added in the late 1950's, 1957 I think. 1953 seems very likely for this gun.

Some parts of the finish do look odd, but I'm not sure why, and it can be hard to tell from photos. On the right side of the gun, the top of the frame behind the cylinder does not look great. However, the screw holes are not dished out, and the seam around the sideplate looks good. The seam is often damaged by the polishing to do a refinish. On the left side of the gun, the S&W logo below the cylinder latch does look faint and uneven, which could be a sign of refinishing.

I don't mean these comments on the finish in a negative way. It is a very cool gun, that will undoubtedly be reliable and fun. The phrase "they don't make them like that anymore" really truly applies to a pre model number S&W like this one.

Last edited:
Some parts of the finish do look odd, but I'm not sure why, and it can be hard to tell from photos.

I'm no expert on older S&W finishes, except that I've seen several. So I can't really quantify it either.

I said I question the finish for a few reasons: some of the finish looks more "matte" than it should, but that's mostly a gut feeling. Then there's the fact it looks much better than it should, though if it was a safe queen, that's not a big thing. Lastly, the cylinder ring looks a lot less pronounced than I would think it would.

All, given the age of the piece; it doesn't look like a 70-year-old revolver. If that is the original finish? It's in beautiful shape.

I’ve always loved S&W revolvers. Great actions, classic style, and just plain cool. OP, you have a really nice gun there.

I'm no expert on older S&W finishes, except that I've seen several. So I can't really quantify it either.

I said I question the finish for a few reasons: some of the finish looks more "matte" than it should, but that's mostly a gut feeling. Then there's the fact it looks much better than it should, though if it was a safe queen, that's not a big thing. Lastly, the cylinder ring looks a lot less pronounced than I would think it would.

All, given the age of the piece; it doesn't look like a 70-year-old revolver. If that is the original finish? It's in beautiful shape.
The pictures are not good enough to tell if it has been refinished. This is a model 31, I think. I picked it up along time ago. It is original. I have the box and paperwork. That is real mother of pearl grips.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 28

Thanks. I had it looked at my a certified gun smith. His opinion was original finish. Any idea what it is worth ????

why are there so many smart ass people on this sight. you go to the sight for some info and one or two d****ickheads alway chime in
Actually he was making a joke. I found it funny. Dry humor doesn't make him a dickhead.
The problem Is when people read those remarks and never fathom they had a big grin when writing it.

it is worth what someone will pay for it.

are the grips original? Serialized to the gun?

trace ring around the cylinder?

holster wear ?

Holster wear at the end of the barrel?

Rifling? Forcing cone? blast wear of the finish at the cylinder/barrel interface?

Tight lock up?

Box?

All those things determine value, and nobody is going to put a value on a gun based on pictures without inspecting it.

I love J frames, but they have a limited market, especially older ones that are not going to be able to eat a steady diet of +P ammo

to me is is a $325 dollar gun, there are too many nice Model 60's out there for not much more

it is worth what someone will pay for it.

are the grips original? Serialized to the gun?

trace ring around the cylinder?

holster wear ?

Holster wear at the end of the barrel?

Rifling? Forcing cone? blast wear of the finish at the cylinder/barrel interface?

Tight lock up?

Box?

All those things determine value, and nobody is going to put a value on a gun based on pictures without inspecting it.

I love J frames, but they have a limited market, especially older ones that are not going to be able to eat a steady diet of +P ammo

to me is is a $325 dollar gun, there are too many nice Model 60's out there for not much more
I appreciate the straight up answer.

Thanks you

Back
Top Bottom