You mean 2-tone?

Here is my build.
Before
6904_1.jpg

After
DSCN0157.jpg

That is definitely two tone! What metals are they? I'm thinking of mixing
stainless with blued/parkerized components and can't quite seem to deal
with it from an aesthetic point of view. It seems like heresy.

Thanks,

TBP

The original slide was blued steel, the new one is stainless.
The frame originally was black anodized but I changed it to blue anodize.

The Boston Patriot said:
I'm thinking of mixing
stainless with blued/parkerized components and can't quite seem to deal
with it from an aesthetic point of view. ...

Krylon!

(or Rustoleum)

(-:

The Boston Patriot said:
Thanks,

How does it perform? Any issues?

TBP
The gun was built, by me, a few years back, when steel plate shooting was all the rage.
At the time, even before the AG's BS, 1911 frames were about impossible to find. EVERYONE was building race guns and for a while, more frames were sold than complete guns. The factory race guns were still a thing of the future.
The cheapest US made gun was the Auto Ordinance, so I bought one to strip for the frame & slide. This was probably fortunate, as ALL of the remaining parts were junk. Auto Ordinance had a pretty liberal interpretation of the words "drawing tolerance". All of the parts that I replaced required a significant amount of filing and fitting. The frame to slide fit was good enough, as the parts came from the factory.
The heart of the gun, from an accuracy standpoint is the Centaur Systems barrel, which is unfortunately, no longer manufactured. The barrel is mated to a slide stop that has a small keyway milled into the top of the shaft, that holds a small roller bearing. To fit the barrel to the slide, the roller is removed and shims are placed, under the roller, into the bottom of the keyway, until the barrel locks up perfectly. This coupled with a tight bushing, results in a fit that a gunsmith would charge a s***load of money to duplicate, and it can be done in about 10 minutes, on your kitchen table.
The rest of the job involved a lot of careful polishing of mating surfaces and the feed ramp, with fine Cratex abrasives.
The only work that I farmed out was the sight mounting, because the front sight required a special crimping tool.
With a 8 lb recoil spring, the gun functions perfectly with 185gr swc's at about 650 fps. With this very light load, the muzzle rises about 1/4". It's a lot like shooting a .22. On a good day, you can actually see the bullets going downrange.
The compensator serves only as a muzzle weight at these low velocities.
By changing out the recoil and matched mag springs for heavier ones, full power ammo can be used. The comp is quite effective with the heavier loads.
When I originally set up the gun, I had the trigger pull down around 28oz.
I found that the trigger didn't have enough "feel" for proper control, on cool days when my fingers were less sensitive, so I increased the trigger weight to about 40 oz and am now quite happy with it.
Shortly after I completed the gun, plate shooting fell into disfavor, and is no longer available locally. I did very well with this one and placed third, IIRC, in one of the MA state championships, way back then.
I've never got up to much interest in pin shooting, so the gun has gone unused for many years.

Back
Top Bottom