Mistrial declared for Emanuel Lopes, charged with killing Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna and bystander

SFC13557

NES Member
WTF?

"DEDHAM - A mistrial was declared Monday in the trial of Emanuel Lopes, the man charged with killing Weymouth Police Sgt. Michael Chesna and innocent bystander Vera Adams back in 2018.

The Norfolk Superior Court jury in Dedham deliberated for days after getting the case late last month, but could not decide whether Lopes is a murderer or mentally ill.

"Jurors I'm in receipt of your note. Your service is complete. I'm declaring a mistrial." said Judge Beverly Cannone.

Chesna's widow Cindy broke down in tears in the courtroom after the judge's announcement. A new trial with a new jury will begin July 21."

I have a close family member who taught him in school. Said he was clearly a bad kid back then.

I wonder what happened. Can one nut job who hates cops or believes that all non-Caucasians are innocent pull off the jury nullification thing in a case like this?

Last edited:
I have a close family member who taught him in school. Said he was clearly dangerous/a bad kid back then.

I wonder what happened. Can one nut job who hates cops or believes that all non-Caucasians are innocent pull off the jury nullification thing in a case like this?
sounds like that is exactly what happened…a single juror who was described as “sensitive” deadlocked the jury

This is going to be the “new normal”

I'm fine with it. This is the way the process is supposed to work. If the state doesn't meet its burden in the eyes of a "reasonable" juror, then that juror is supposed to stick to his guns and refuse to convict. I'd prefer this, as painful as it is in this case, to a system where juries become rubber stamps for the state.

The state reserves the right to take another bite at the apple, and in this case, they will.

A hung jury isn't nullification, it's a hung jury. He's not walking out a free man, he's going to be retried.

I have a close family member who taught him in school. Said he was clearly dangerous/a bad kid back then.

I have been on a jury 2 times, one of those times it was a hung jury, the other time it took some serious discussion and convincing of one hold out juror, who happened to be Portuguese, the same as the plantif . He knew better than the rest of us because he knew how Portuguese people think. he eventually came around after offering up many examples of why his rational was off. Medical malpractice death resulting doctors found innocent.

The Hung Jury..... 2 blue hair old ladies had their mind made up as soon as they heard the charges. It involved a young girl under 10

A hung jury isn't nullification, it's a hung jury. He's not walking out a free man, he's going to be retried.
some prosecutors may choose to not retry the case..... not likely in this case though

I have been on a jury 2 times, one of those times it was a hung jury, the other time it took some serious discussion and convincing of one hold out juror, who happened to be Portuguese, the same as the plantif . He knew better than the rest of us because he knew how Portuguese people think. he eventually came around after offering up many examples of why his rational was off. Medical malpractice death resulting doctors found innocent.

The Hung Jury..... 2 blue hair old ladies had their mind made up as soon as they heard the charges. It involved a young girl under 10
Medical malpractice lawsuit involving death of girl under age of 10 ?

Did this come from the state? Did this come from the parents,family.

Very sad if I'm understand what you wrote. Where could I read more ?

good example of the voir dire process, the hung jury involved a child. the defense attorneys were looking to stack the jury with young men with no children. I was probably 20 years old at the time. The prosecution was looking for old grandma types sympathetic to what a young girl may or may not have gone through.

I actually spoke with someone who would have been impaneled on that jury but was removed right before the final jury was decided.

The question that DQ’d him was “does using drugs make someone a bad person” and his answer was in his opinion it doesn’t make them a good person.

He could have been the one that made a difference, I wonder how that’s sitting with him now.

Medical malpractice lawsuit involving death of girl under age of 10 ?

Did this come from the state? Did this come from the parents,family.

Very sad if I'm understand what you wrote. Where could I read more ?
NO medical malpractice was an overweight diabetic with one kidney, did not take his meds, smoked pack and a half a day, after leaving the ER didn't follow doctors' orders went home climbed the stairs to his 3rd floor apartment in Fall River, sat down at the kitchen table, had a cup of coffee, lit a smoke and died.

The hung Jury was, Rape of a child under 10 years old, child endangerment. and a few other charges, alcoholic dad, heroin addict mom that was missing for months. An aunt and uncle wanted to take the girl in and would literally say anything to make that happen. after they got what they wanted they reneged on some of their claims, but it was too late the state did not care. They got the guy to admit in rehab he doesn't remember everything when he drinks....... they put the girl on the stand, 11 at the time, 7 when it allegedly happened. pelvic exam, doctors, social workers, ETC....I was 20 at the time with no kids.....it would probably be different now that I have a couple daughters.

Long story short, he was a dirt bag, he did eventually change his life around, in my opinion He did not rape his daughter, he did treat her very poorly, and was guilty of the lesser charges, leaving a 7-year-old home alone for hours to go to the bar. He slept in his underwear and the daughter would climb into bed with him in the middle of the night sometimes, the daughter's testimony was detailed...... it did not reflect rape and the aunt and uncle backed that up....... the two blue hairs old ladies didn't want to hear any of it after 2 days it was a hung jury. both cases where in New Bedford Superior court

This is the way the process is supposed to work. If the state doesn't meet its burden in the eyes of a "reasonable" juror,
I tend to agree but if you read between the lines it appears this isn’t a reasonable juror. Sounds more like some thumb sucking idiot that was allowed to throw a tantrum.

I tend to agree but if you read between the lines it appears this isn’t a reasonable juror. Sounds more like some thumb sucking idiot that was allowed to throw a tantrum.
or a juror with personal ties to someone with mental illness and would not want to see their son or daughter go to prison because they didn't get the help they needed the judge usually asks questions to weed these jurors out, maybe they did not answer the judges' questions accurately.

No, I get that. I was speaking abstractly.

Whoever it was, he was qualified to serve, he passed selection by both sides, and he discharged his duty. By that standard? He was as fit as anyone else to be on that jury, and he decided the state didn't meet its burden.

Any seated juror who decides that should not convict.

If you've never sat on a jury, don't second-guess the jury.

Years ago, I was empaneled. We knew the defendant was guilty at the start of the trial (which lasted a week), but by the time the prosecution was done fvcking up, based on the evidence presented, we had to let him walk on 4 of 7 charges.

Nobody here heard all the evidence.

I have no idea as to his "mental state" but I do know that the .gov is not always right.

The real question is: is it better for him to not be convicted, though he "deserves" it, or that a person that does not "deserve" it, does get convicted?

Back
Top Bottom