• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MIRCS Question.

Anyone know if your MIRCS pin number changes when your LTC is renewed? Just curious. Local PD doesn't know.

Lee

I don't think that the system has been out long enough for anyone to answer the question because I doubt that it has happened yet. At least under normal renewal procedures.

MIRCS was implemented in 2004 IIRC, ask again in 2010 and we'll know better. I'm serious. They may not have addressed that issue yet.

Only CHSB would know and their track record on giving out CORRECT answers has been abysmal since day-one. So until someone experiences it, you can't rely on any answers you might get.

One answer may be found through the method of assigning the LTC number. If you get a new License Number upon renewal, then you would almost certainly receive a new PIN also.

But, I am trying to use logic in this and logic may not be a component of the system.

Thanks, Gents. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Actually, I haven't had to use it yet. Don't know how widespread it's been deployed in Western Mass. Haven't come across it yet.

Lee

I almost had to use it because I lacerated my finger and it was all wrapped in bandages, but I decided to go with the finger anyway. Luckily the scanner recognized the finger even with dried blood on it.

MIRCS was implemented in 2004 IIRC, ask again in 2010 and we'll know better. I'm serious. They may not have addressed that issue yet.

Only CHSB would know and their track record on giving out CORRECT answers has been abysmal since day-one. So until someone experiences it, you can't rely on any answers you might get.

Ahhh, yes. The Y2.01K crisis. Cobol programmers, get ready for the last minute rush. [laugh]

Ken

Everyone has been ignoring a more significant problem - the year 2038 issue. I hope to be retired by then. Actually, I hope to still be alive then :).

OK, what happens then?

Essentially all Unix based or derived operating systems (that includes all Macs) use POSIX time (the number of seconds since January 1, 1970) to represent time and dates internally. That's usually stored as an signed 32-bit number. Because "C" was originally developed for Unix, and so much software is developed using C, this spills over to major applications in Windows an other operating systems as well. The Y2K problem resulted from the 2-digit representation of years in some systems, which "wrapped" in 2000. The same thing will happen to POSIX time at 03:14:07 GMT, Tuesday, January 19, 2038. The potentially serious problem with Y2K (which never materialized) was that computer controlled HVAC, water treatment, building security and similar systems would fail. In this case, the equivalent problem will be with cell phones, Blackberries, MP3 players, nuclear power plants, and a million other places that most people don't even realize have a "computer" in them.

If by some twist of fate I'm still alive by then, I hope to be sitting back, sipping a 15 year old Laphroaig, and laughing.

Ken

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom