Mil Surplus Collectors????? Memorabilia/Collectables

After reading through this forum, Iv'e noticed the postings here mostly surround firearms.
I was just curios if there were any mil surplus collectors here that collect other surplus like uniforms, field equipment, war materials, foriegn or GI stuff, WW2 etc?
I'd like to read about some war trophy stories. Firearm or otherwise.[grin]

Last edited:
An inexpensive way to get into unique WWII material is Trench Art.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_art
All sorts of stuff on ebay.
I had a 30.06 with a blade soldered to it made into a letter opener that my Uncle made while stationed in the Phillipines in WWII. I also found this 40 mm Bofors cannon shell cut down and made into an ashtray cleaning out my mother in law's attic from her dad, the pennies are 1940, 1942 and 1944.

002-4.jpg

001-4.jpg

I also found this Army Air Corps issued Viewmaster and reels showing "Cones of Fire" of Axis Aircraft.

IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

018.jpg

011.jpg

Last edited:
Cool stuff!

My mother recently came across one of the old (beeswax?) records that our boys were allowed to record a few minutes of conversation on to send home to their families. It belonged to my Grandfather for years, and has his voice - he made and sent it as a 17yr old radio man on the way to Korea. He's started the "giving away" process with many of his treasures.

It's definitely got my interest piqued, and I think I'd like to start collecting once we buy another house with more room for such things.

A pair of 1917 French Binoculars my grandfather brought home from WWI.
DSCF0013-1.jpg

DSCF0012-1.jpg

I have my Dads written and Picture Diary from the Pacific in WW2, 4 years worth.
Here is a taste. He was a SeaBee.
He is the guy on the right in whites, Guy in the center w/ his squad.
The sign is from the 3rd Marine dvision, 2nd regiment .
I bought him the gold inlayed K-bar, but he died before I could give it to him. I destroyed his original as a kid. It was in our shop.
DSCF0001-10.jpg

DSCF0003-5.jpg

DSCF0004-5.jpg

DSCF0005-5.jpg

DSCF0006-5.jpg

DSCF0007-3.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a large Navy Issued book of photos given to sailors after WWII that was given to my uncle. Its captioned with things like "scratch another meatball, Marianas Turkey Shoot" as a zero on fire plunges into the sea.

Carl Ziess powered binoculars for a German Wehrmacht 4 meter range finding unit.

Finnaly got my act together with photobucket.
This is a rare 12x60 powered binocular unit made by Carl Ziess. It mounts along with 3 others on a 4 meter range finding system. The most advanced System developed by Germany during war time.
Basically They searched the sky for incomming bombers.
They compiled direction, speed, altitude etc. Then relay the info the the flak guns so they knew the proper hieght/direction to detonate the flak.
During WW2 my dad picked this up just after the invasion in France.
ziesspics001.jpg

ziesspics002.jpg

ziesspics004.jpg

As you can see these 60mm lenses really gather light! (axis reenactment forum)
ziesspics005.jpg

Best of all, dad was smart enough to grab the power leads for the unit. Some of The only ones myself & internationall collectors have ever seen. I tried them with a 9volt battery & the unit lights right up with three filters , along with a hand held light.
ziesspics012.jpg

Here is a unit in the Africa campaign (I think). Notice the four units mounted on the range finder.
Save0007-7.jpg

Save0013-3.jpg

Judging from the buildings in the back round, this could be Russia or Poland?
If anyone knows about these pictures please chime in.
My dad at the time was told by someone it was a tank scope & if it wasn't for another military/war reenactment forum & some research I'd have never found out.

Quite a piece of equipment & technology for the time.

Last edited:
I do WW2 reenacting so I've always got my eyes out for stuff

And I've gotten into collecting WW2 Era helmets, just need a better spot to display em, right now they sit atop the ol' gun lockah.

L-R German M35 helmet, US M1 Fixed Bale/Front Seam (my reenacting lid) and atop is an unrestored M1917 "Doughboy" helmet
HELMETS.jpg

As my folks were downsizing several years ago I came into possession of two interesting collections. The first, US Navy first issue postcards from the Porthsmouth Navy Yard. When a keel was laid or a submarine launched or to honor the sacrifices of lost crews, a commemorative card was issued. The 40 or so that I have span the pre war through WWll. My other related collection is of the currency of foreign nations during and prior to WWl and WWll.

I have a copy of some of the defenses and plans for invasion of Japan. I also have a set of aerial photos of Iwo. My grandfather was a intel officer in the Marines and landed on Iwo.

Just wanted to bump this thread before any other posters decided to remove their pics, & I'm hopeing to see some new one's!!!

If I had more spare cash I'd love to collect WW1 & WW2 surplus or memorabilia, but it's getting scarse & expensive.

There must be some collectors out there.

Lets see it. Flags, pictures, metals, street signs, silverware. Anything.

Last edited:
With the three spires it looks as though it may be Riga, Latvia.
Just a quick guess.

Save0013-3.jpg

Judging from the buildings in the back round, this could be Russia or Poland?
If anyone knows about these pictures please chime in.
My dad at the time was told by someone it was a tank scope & if it wasn't for another military/war reenactment forum & some research I'd have never found out.

Quite a piece of equipment & technology for the time.

It could be anywhere in any large German city.

I lived in Frankfurt for three years and if you told me it was Frankfurt, I'd have no reason not to believe you. It could be the Main River, the Rhine River or any one of a dozen rivers passing anyone of a dozen cities.

Or it might be anywhere else in Europe.

I doubt you'll ever know.

Last edited:
Pilgrim, did you ever visit some of the nice clubs around Keisserstrasse? I remember lots of good times there, and always heading back to Hanau broke as a skunk.

Opps, topic drift. I'm sorry.

Yeah it does look like A&M Main

Last edited:
I like collecting slings, mags, cleaning kits, etc.

I'm currently looking for a stick mag pouch for Suomi M31 mags. If anyone has a link or info where I can find one, please send me a PM. It doesn't have to come with mags, I already have them.[grin]

Ray I might have what you're looking for. Do you also have any interest in a Suomi drum mag with original canvas pouch?

saltydude, have you looked through my "WTS" thread in the members' classified section? I'm selling a whole bunch of stuff my father has collected over the years. If there were anyone I would consider a "militaria collector", it would certainly be him.

Ray I might have what you're looking for. Do you also have any interest in a Suomi drum mag with original canvas pouch?

I saw the add and can't tell if the drum pouch has the SA stampings on it. I have to do some fiddling with the other drum I got off you. It feeds for about 30 rounds and then starts hanging up here and there. I think it just needs a good cleaning. I've found some mag pouches on auction sites and a few distributor sites but would rather buy from a fellow NESr. Send me a PM with what you find along with prices.

saltydude, have you looked through my "WTS" thread in the members' classified section? I'm selling a whole bunch of stuff my father has collected over the years. If there were anyone I would consider a "militaria collector", it would certainly be him.

I just did thanks,
I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for but I'll know when I see it.
The gas mask is cool.

Not really so much firearms & accessories I think. Unless it's a captured ww2 Luger, p38, Webbly, Nambu etc. perhaps.

I'm thinking more along the lines of field gear, Uniforms, pictures, era toys, propaganda leaflets & posters. I thought George D's viewmaster, MAEMT86's helmets & jpattersonnh's WW1 binoculars & pics of his dad were really cool. If those pics could talk, I'm sure they'd tell some wild tales!

Thanks to all for the stories & pics. Keep them comming!

Hey look what fell in my back yard!! Guess this one escaped being upgaded to a JDAM. [smile]

It's a military practice bomb. I think it's genuine because I see no reason to make a replica practice bomb.
Not sure if it came painted like this or was painted later on sometime.
Filled with sand it's pretty heavy. Thought it was interesting.

007-2.jpg

I did WW2 re-enacting for years. Have tons of US, Soviet and British uniforms and equipment. Had to slow down on the uniforms and gear so I could work more on collecting the things that go BANG!

I collect (and restore) Historic Military Vehicles. Finding the original equipment is just as much fun. My site www.fightingiron.com shows some of the stuff I have done, own and traded away. I am currently restoring a WC56 Command Car which I plan on keeping. Am always looking for parts and vehicles if you should know of any. Thanks

Just like to bump this Once in a while in hopes of more pics &/or stories.
I've got some more stuff to post & talk about once I get back to my dads & have more time.

My grandfather enlisting in the Danish Army on May 10, 1929 (to 1933).

Otto Ernst Schoop; 1909-1997. 9th of 10 children. My grandfather was born in the German Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein (SE Denmark, NW Germany), at the time a German possession taken from Denmark in the war of 1880. After WWI, a plebiscite decided the fate of the territory. The northern two thirds went to Denmark, and the southern third to Germany. My grandfather became a Danish citizen. His eldest brother Karl (1896-April 1917) had died at Verdun as a German soldier. Another brother was a Major in the Luftwaffe.

MS

P.S. He was allegedly active in the Danish underground, but didn't say a single word about it - ever. There was a premature surrender notice May 4, 1945 and several of his friends who were in the underground were rounded up and killed by the Germans. My mother was born on May 5, 1940; three weeks after the Germans rolled in and so grew up to age 5 under occupation. She remembers several stories. His brother the Major used to stop by and visit, until my grandfather told him not to as people were starting to talk about him. The Germans surrendered on her birthday in '45 which really pissed her off as everyone forgot about her birthday.

Attachments

• otto.1e.jpg
    otto.1e.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thanks Majspud. In my eyes the value of posting these pictures and stories is priceless. The two world wars produced so many amazing people & stories. An endless amount of fascinating history that should never fade away.

Keep them coming folks!

Back
Top Bottom