• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Method of filling in FA-10

namedpipes

NES Member
It's me again.

Being a computer geek by trade, I see the manual data entry onto the fa-10 forms as positively medieval.

The form is formatted the way it is to make it easy for the state's scanning equipment to interpret what we write onto the form. That's why black ink and light blue squares and use letters that look like this. I'm sure everyone either already knew that or doesn't care!

It turns out that if you separate the first page from the carbonless copies it will feed through a laserjet printer just fine. Further, if you format an excel spreadsheet to match the format of the fa-10 and fill it in with the data to go onto the fa-10 and print it, it looks just like it was typed, not handwritten, and if their scanners can't read it, then their situation is hopeless. Filling in the excel from a database is easy.

The issue is (if it IS an issue) that when filled in this way, the carbonless copies aren't made. One copy to the 'seller' and one copy to the 'buyer'.

Now, you could also print the other pages, then hold them together while you all sign with pen. You could more reasonably photocopy all the forms.

If I had just a few to fill out, I'd just do it, but there are more than a few.

My question is: By printing the top page page on a laser, signing and photocopying the sheets and filing the original, am I in any way breaking the law, spirit of the law and all that? In other words, could I get in trouble because I didn't make the carbonless copies in the conventional way, even though I produced copies for both sides?

Yes, I know, its more work overall doing it this way, but I need the database for insurance and other purposes regardless, so outputting the fa-10 is a simple bonus. So it boils down to: does it make too much sense for Massachusetts?

The copies for the buyer and seller are only CYA. The only required form is the one that gets sent to CHSB. It's not illegal (the law says you need to report it to the director of the CHSB etc within 7 days) , but it'd be interesting to see whether their scanning machines would read it.

Just remember the disclaimer in my sig. I'd PM Cross-X or Scrivener if you're actually going to do it.

I'd take another quick look at C140 to make sure. It doesn't specify exactly how the notification must be made, but CHSB may also have their own policies. OTOH, most dealers are using the electronic FA10 submission these days.

If MSP breaks down your door a week from now, not my fault [grin]

when I filled out my first FA-10, I could not see the damned blue squares and just started writing. JoeT and I sent it in and we had zero issues.

Back
Top Bottom