• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Medway Officer Draws Gun on Homeowner After Possible B&E Call from Neighbor

The neighbor didn't recognize that the homeowner was the person lurking around. She called, the police responded. The police officer was probably going on the instinct that the neighbor knows who belongs and who doesn't belong at the house. I would think the pistol at low ready was justified, junkies and desperate dirtballs are everywhere, and the whole thing was probably rectified in a minute.

The Fakebook Warriors are probably the first to criticize police but are also the first to call when they need help with any situation, including tying their velcro shoes!

Last edited:
2021 Data, per FBI:

Of the 73 officers feloniously killed:
  • 24 were killed in unprovoked attacks.
  • 9 died as a result of investigative/enforcement activities (e.g., surveillance, traffic violation stops, active shooter responses, undercover situations, wanted person investigations).
  • 8 were ambushed (entrapment/premeditation).
  • 8 were involved in vehicular or foot pursuits.
  • 7 responded to disorders/disturbances (e.g., disorderly subjects, fights, domestic disturbances/violence).
  • 6 were involved in tactical situations (e.g., barricade/hostage situations, arrest warrants).
  • 4 were involved in arrest situations (e.g., giving verbal warnings, maintaining custody of a prisoner).
  • 2 responded to crimes in progress (e.g., active shooters, assaults).
  • 1 was assisting other law enforcement officers.
  • 1 was serving or attempting to serve a court order (e.g., eviction notice, subpoena).
  • 1 was out of service (e.g., appearing in court, dining).
  • 1 was responding to a report of crime.
  • 1 was providing or deploying equipment (e.g., flares, traffic cones).

So of all the cops killed in 2021, only 1 was responding to a reported crime. If we're generous and include this case as a "crime in progress", which it wasn't, that's a whole 3 cops.

And for good measure, in 2021 - 56 cops died due to accidental death.
  • 32 were as a result of motor vehicle, ATV, or motorcycle crashes.
  • 20 were pedestrian officers struck by vehicles.
  • 4 officers drowned.
So they're way more likely to die from some bullshit than responding to a case such as this.

It was called in as a B&E how many of you hero's would have challenged the guy with your gun holstered? I can see it now neighbor calls in possible burglary NES members show up to just have a talk with him yeah right half you would have shot first and asked questions later.

Girl did the right thing, the neighbor, who called it in as a possible B&E did as well. Her gun was supposedly kept down at her side. Everyone went home and no one's house got robbed.

I can see both sides of the coin.
Person who called: Complete moron.
Officer Casey: Did the right thing.

Based on circumstances however, I'd be torn between telling the cops "wtf are you doing here, get off my land" and "thank you for your concern, thanks for watching over my property"

I keep going back to "nosey neighbor is a retard" though.
Who the hell dials 911 for this? Go out there and confront the person, problem solved.

I wonder and wait when this will happen to me (again).
I always wander through my house late at night with just a flashlight.

Also, our commercial property, I'm here now, and often late at night, only vehicle in the lot, I'm here all hours when no ones here.
One time I had my truck parked oddly taking up three spaces by the front door of one of the businesses, Sunday, I was around the side trimming bushes.
I walk out to find a cruiser behind my truck.
I was like "Hey Sarge, what's up?"
He said, "I was running your plates, I drove by and it looked like someone was parked for a quick get-away"
I said to him "I've been driving this truck around town for 12 years now and you still don't recognize it???"

If there was an undercover cop in your backyard and they were in the same position when you walked around the corner. If you draw your pistol and had it at the low ready and asked the person to identify themselves, turnaround etc. in Massachusetts you’d be arrested and charged with a firearm crime.

If she had her hand on her pistol, fine. There is no reason she drew her firearm. There was no threat, she’s just paranoid.

When she screws up again, which is HIGHLY likely, do we start another thread or continue this. She’s not fit to be a cop
Ok .. call comes in possible robbery taking place at Hoovers house. PD arrives keeps gun holstered all the while a suspect unknown to all lingers around the property. Cop calls out "hey are you a bad guy.. I don't want to have my weapon drawn to protect myself or the residents before you identify as a robber". So please .... please identify yourself first and if you have a gun please tell me first and don't shoot me until I can get my gun out to protect myself!

Are you f&8king serious @Hoover?

Unarmed? Cops always carry a gun. The issue is having the gun drawn when there's no threat presented. Might as well have their gun drawn when they do traffic stops, just in case...

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have a gun pointed at me when I'm walking around my own property.
I didn't read anything that said she pointed her gun at the homeowner. Low ready.

Medway, MA
February 20th, 2023

A neighbor called the police at 7:03am on a man walking around his property, allegedly inspecting the exterior of his home, for a possible B&E. Medway Police Officer Meghan Casey responded to the call:

Apparently there were some posts made on Facebook from the wife of the man, which resulted in a debate about the actions of the officer and whether or not the firearm was pointed at the suspect when she approached him from behind. The social media backlash prompted the Chief to issue a statement on Facebook, and all other posts and comments were scrubbed.

The Medway police chief defends the actions stating: [added to reflect time]

View attachment 724515View attachment 724516

Be careful guys, don't walk your property before work at 7am without knowing the possible repercussions.

Hello troll account.

2021 Data, per FBI:

Of the 73 officers feloniously killed:
  • 24 were killed in unprovoked attacks.
  • 9 died as a result of investigative/enforcement activities (e.g., surveillance, traffic violation stops, active shooter responses, undercover situations, wanted person investigations).
  • 8 were ambushed (entrapment/premeditation).
  • 8 were involved in vehicular or foot pursuits.
  • 7 responded to disorders/disturbances (e.g., disorderly subjects, fights, domestic disturbances/violence).
  • 6 were involved in tactical situations (e.g., barricade/hostage situations, arrest warrants).
  • 4 were involved in arrest situations (e.g., giving verbal warnings, maintaining custody of a prisoner).
  • 2 responded to crimes in progress (e.g., active shooters, assaults).
  • 1 was assisting other law enforcement officers.
  • 1 was serving or attempting to serve a court order (e.g., eviction notice, subpoena).
  • 1 was out of service (e.g., appearing in court, dining).
  • 1 was responding to a report of crime.
  • 1 was providing or deploying equipment (e.g., flares, traffic cones).

So of all the cops killed in 2021, only 1 was responding to a reported crime. If we're generous and include this case as a "crime in progress", which it wasn't, that's a whole 3 cops.

And for good measure, in 2021 - 56 cops died due to accidental death.
  • 32 were as a result of motor vehicle, ATV, or motorcycle crashes.
  • 20 were pedestrian officers struck by vehicles.
  • 4 officers drowned.
So they're way more likely to die from some bullshit than responding to a case such as this.

If you are going to make that statistical analysis, you have to include every death that started with responding to a call, but is listed in the other categories because of where in the flow chart of procedures the fatality occurred. Literally read those stats. Which ones didn't start off as 911 call or call to the non-emergency line of your local PD (aka straight to the dispatcher)

We lost 2 officers last year to an bush wookie ambush when officers responded to a report of domestic abuse in Connecticut. Which category would that fall into? Ambush? Report of Disturbance? Responding to a report of a crime? I'd say all 3.

Last edited:
Unarmed? Cops always carry a gun. The issue is having the gun drawn when there's no threat presented. Might as well have their gun drawn when they do traffic stops, just in case...

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have a gun pointed at me when I'm walking around my own property.
The assumption is the NEIGHBOR would know what the homeowner looks like, just like everyone on this freaking forum. So getting a call about an 'unknown' person eliminates the 'walking around my own property' aspect of your post.

I'll say it again, I'd f'ing LOVE to put together a NES 'Use of Force' school, with sim guns and tasers and see how many of you handle these situations. Especially after one of them goes 'bad' for you. 'Bad' being you're dead because you 'didn't want to draw your firearm.

Meh. I generally would come down on the side of saying the cop is being dumb but in this scenario I’m not sure that is the case.

It does remind me of when I was a kid and me and my dad were going somewhere. We got in the truck and he had to go back in the house (alarm system). All I remember is a cruiser pulling up a few minutes later and the cop drawing his gun on my dad in the driveway with me sitting in the truck directly behind him. This was in small town USA.

The assumption is the NEIGHBOR would know what the homeowner looks like, just like everyone on this freaking forum. So getting a call about an 'unknown' person eliminates the 'walking around my own property' aspect of your post.

I'll say it again, I'd f'ing LOVE to put together a NES 'Use of Force' school, with sim guns and tasers and see how many of you handle these situations. Especially after one of them goes 'bad' for you. 'Bad' being you're dead because you 'didn't want to draw your firearm.

I'm not claiming that we all know what our neighbors look like. I'm saying the dispatcher should confirm that the person calling actually knows what their neighbor looks like.

That info could be passed on to the responding officer. "We have a possible B&E, but it could be the homeowner, or a contractor, etc. because the caller has no idea who their neighbor is".

We're supposed to hold our public servants to a higher standard - that's what they signed up for (apparently). I don't really give a shit if every non LEO on NES fails your little test. They are not afforded all sorts of leeway like qualified immunity.

I make it a point to know my neighbors. When I see them I speak to them. I let them know when I'm going to be gone for more than a weekend and who might be coming around to keep an eye on the place. I keep an eye on their place when they are gone. My one neighbor is a card carrying extreme liberal. I don't care, we don't talk politics. We get along fine. The problem is everyone is to busy to spend a little bit of time to get to know their neighbors. I will admit that I have been lucky. Only one a$$hole neighbor in the last 30 years and he moved after 2 or 3 years.

Moral of the story, I would hope my neighbor would recogonize me and not call the cops.

Impossible to know what happened based on the reporting. Low ready and a polite conversation, no problem. Pointed, finger on trigger, panicked screaming commands I have a problem with. It is all about the attitude and confidence of the officer.

That being said, the CoP put out a statement that sounds a lot like 'nothing to see here peasants', while at the same time deleting all the discussion posts. That is suspicious to me, more so than a bike at a residence. Almost like this is a diversity hire they are protecting. As has been pointed out, 4 years on and 'training' others?

Good to know a bike is evidence of a crime. My kid leaves his out all them time and always looks suspicious because he's a teenager.

BTW, my two dogs would likely be in my fenced and also invisible fenced yard. What happens when officer panic panties shoots my dog for being too friendly while Im checking of ice dams?

Agree it is no win. I want competent officers looking out for me. Unfortunately it looks like those are rare so I would prefer to not put myself at additional risk having a panicky person accidentally shoot me on my own property, face no repercussions, and then have the story changed to protect them. Sorry but this is the likely scenario I would expect.

ETA: yeah even low ready is excessive and suggests 'panic' by the cop because she saw a bike.

Last edited:
Unholstered was unnecessary. Approach with your hand on your weapon ready to draw if necessary but unholstered low ready was excessive.

Back
Top Bottom