Meat in the freezer!

I won't bore you with the whole sob story, but let's just say that between a back injury, pneumonia, a wedding and a honey moon my hunting season has been problematic to say the least. When I did get out deer would appear but never came into range.

MA season ends on the 31st, so time was not on my side, but tonight I finally connected. Around 4:15 two deer appeared upwind from me on the other side of a pole line clearing and slowly began feeding and wandering away from me. What else is new? I hit the tru talker, they looked up, then resumed feeding, again, again, same result. I sat back prepared to watch them walk away, when finally one turned around and sloooowwwlly began working back towards me. Meanwhile the dark is coming on quickly. Finally she stepped out in front of me and i drilled her. She went about 40 yards and piled up. I climbed down hauled her out of the weeds and rolled her over.

Surprise, it's a boy! The deer was actually a button buck and I felt a little bad for a minute, but truth be told, at this point I probably still would have shot. Either way, I just finished eating the tenderloins, fried with peppers and onions and I am happy.

Hope everyone had a good season and a best wishes for the new year.

Matt

Congrats!
I've had a rough season too, not being able to get out much due to this or that [sad]
No Pics?

This is the 2nd year in a row that I've been unable to get up to hunting camp for the season due to family issues.

Enjoy the meat right down to the shins.

Guys, I didn't get an pics of this one since it was kinda small. Plus I got him with a bow and didn't want you gun nuts to jump on me for appearing in public without being heavily armed.[wink]

Here's a nice one from last year during archery season, my only wall hanger to date. I got two afternoons left to find him a suitable companion.
Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• l_7ede26c7da4c37baebb7a0213ad8abb6.jpg
    l_7ede26c7da4c37baebb7a0213ad8abb6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 70
My year was equally fruitless. I must have spent 30 days in the woods between NY and MA. bow and rifle/blackpowder seasons. [crying]

I butchered 5 deer....none of them mine.[sad2] Though I did keep a few choice cuts. [wink]

Congrats! Did you use a bleat? My tru talker does a nice grunt, but I haven't been successful in getting a good bleat out of it. Back to the video!

October 13 I got a spike that rushed in to a "Deer in a can" doe in estrus bleat. On 11/20 I got a 4 pointer with a grunt tube. Was unsure what to use late in the season, but was going with the bleat and had no success.

Guys, I didn't get an pics of this one since it was kinda small. Plus I got him with a bow and didn't want you gun nuts to jump on me for appearing in public without being heavily armed.

Bah, this is the hunting and fishing forum, you could've clubbed him to death with a rock and it'd be A-OK with me.

Congrats!

Congrats! Did you use a bleat? My tru talker does a nice grunt, but I haven't been successful in getting a good bleat out of it. Back to the video.

I did use the bleat on the Tru talker. I had been using a can, but after one too many trips in the rain/snow it stopped working. Tru talker doesn't sound as good to me either, but it seemed to work well enough.

Back
Top Bottom