• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Well, now that I am "semi-retired" and not working 10-12 hour days, I finally put in my application for membership last Sunday. Orientation is in mid-Feb and interview is in the first week of March. Thanks for the quick sign-up on such a busy day Andrew (I think), you handled it all quickly, with humor and a smile! Everyone I meet that day seemed very friendly and not at all annoyed with the "newbies" floating around! Can't wait to get some range time in and shoot the new pistols! (and pick up a few pointers from the ....more.... experienced) ..
~~See ya soon!!! AL

Was there last week with my son shooting his new Ruger SR22 and noticed the target carriers in the Loeb range are made out of garden hose and wire? What the heck happened to the "clamp" style carriers? Did people destroy them or something?

Was there last week with my son shooting his new Ruger SR22 and noticed the target carriers in the Loeb range are made out of garden hose and wire? What the heck happened to the "clamp" style carriers? Did people destroy them or something?

I believe there were issues with people shooting them up to the point where the steel was becoming pocked. The hose and wire solution was put in place to try and minimize the ricochet risk.

I also believe that there is some testing/investigation being done on a new target hanger design in steel that would prevent the prior problems from reoccurring.

Just i feel for the money u pay here and lanes always being down and the requirements u need to meet to shoot outside . The place needs a major update

Just i feel for the money u pay here and lanes always being down and the requirements u need to meet to shoot outside . The place needs a major update

I agree that place needs a Starbucks in the worst way. 175 bucks a year for 24 hour access and no Valet service is a crime.

That's my fault, I usually donate the masks, trash bags, gloves etc. I don't know what the Hell I was thinking but I went to drop them off the night before the clean up, looked at the sign on the door and realized I was a day late. I've been supplying this stuff for a few years now, I don't know what I was thinking. I had worked about three weeks straight of double shifts and just missed a day. I left a long apologetic message on a board member's voice mail. So unless someone has used all the supplies I dropped off, 12 hours late, the club should be all set for 2016. I'll check anyway and bring more. Sorry again, my bad.

Last edited:
I actually think about 10 years were taking off my Life when they had us clean up the Dust with No masks..Last time
I usually don't butt in, but wanted to say that this is a club of peers, there is no They and certainly no one can make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. Rant over...

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I usually don't butt in, but wanted to say that this is a club of peers, there is no They and certainly no one can make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. Rant over...

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
oh I didn't have to I know but even being asked to join in on the clean up along with a dozen people and not provide safety equip is not responsible for any club. and I'm talking about indoors in the Range not the Parking lot.3 of us were outside choking, our fault? Yes.

Last edited:
oh I didn't have to I know but even being asked to join in on the clean up along with a dozen people and not provide safety equip is not responsible for any club. and I'm talking about indoors in the Range not the Parking lot.3 of us were outside choking, our fault? Yes.
Tell us again where MRA touched you.

I'm not a fan of their outdoor rules especially on the 100/200 yard range. However , if you take a look at the nimrods shooting in the Loeb range you'll see why they did that. For $170 annually I'll continue being a member. 24/7 access indoors and the 50yd outside range is usually empty.

ok it's the Best Club to belong and don't know why people would join other clubs as this is the place to be. sorry my opinion was rude and I'll not talk about it again.

There is also a Starbucks around the corner at West Cummins park.

At this moment I am making noises to join this club. Have been in conversations with a member and we will be heading over so i can check it out in a week or two. I live maybe no more than a mile from there and have never stepped foot on the property.

Hey there RUDIEWHITEBWOY----if no one else will say it----Thanks for your DONATIONS for the past few years----early, late or on time, I'm sure most thank you for it!!

Last edited:
I have been a member of MRA for at least 7 years now and it has its pros and cons. The Pope range (outdoor pistol) and McLaughlin range (outdoor rifle/pistol) are barely ever used, at least when I am there. If you like shooting outside and shooting alone or with not a lot of people, then these two ranges are great. The Loeb range is what it is. Lots of morons can't shoot and trash the place. Shoot the ceiling, shoot the floor, shoot the target carriers etc... Being a 24/7 range, can you ever police this properly? Probably not. MRA is not hip, not the latest and greatest but it works. In regards to the "1 round at a time" on the 100/200 range. I was told this is due to the fact that just beyond the backstop is a heavily populated shopping center/business park. The club doesn't want guys rapid firing and potentially losing control of their rounds. It sucks, totally agree, but again it is what it is. As others have said, if you can put all the other BS aside, for the price, its a decent place to go shooting.

Back
Top Bottom