Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

I have brought a chainsaw in the past and I think I have a few gas weed wackers that I could bring just not sure if that is what is needed.

I wanted to Chrono a few loads I have been working on for 9mm and 45. I read the rules and did my best Google Foo attempt but could never find anything. I want to use my Chrony at the outdoor pistol or 50 yard (McLaughlin) range. Is this allowed? Any special rules on considerations since the Chrony would be placed ahead of the firing line?

Hello gents,
I live over in Lynn and would love to shoot here as I don't have a club to go to yet, are they accepting members...and if so do I need like 20 member recommendations. Im a member NRA and GOAL, Marine Corps and all around sexy guy

Just submitted my membership application here this week, after hearing good things about MRA from a couple of current members. One of them was kind enough to treat me to a tour, and a little range time as a guest, a little while back.

does this place still have the retarded one round at a time rule? I'm looking for a club to join but that's a deal breaker.

Unless it's changed, the 200 yard range still has that restriction, except during matches.

If you're looking for a place to shoot highpower, MRA isn't the best place, its strengths lie in its fantastic 25Y indoor range that's open 24x7 and 50Y outdoor range and 50' air/.22 range and the wicked fun five-stand.

Massachusetts Rifle Association
2015 Combined Outdoor Range Qualifications
The combined McLaughlin (50yd)/Summa (100/200yd) range qualifications will involve rifle at 200 yards and pistol at 50 yards. Everyone must demonstrate rifle and pistol marksmanship ability at the range target and excellent firearms handling and safety at all times.

Requirements
Membership: Minimum 6 months
Equipment: Center fire Rifle (223 or above) Pistol (any caliber – no air pistols) 15-20 rounds of ammunition for each rifle and pistol
Spotting Scope: (optional)
Optics/Sights: Shooters Choice - All firearms MUST be sighted on Loeb range at 25 yards before qualification date.
Scheduling: Qualifications will be conducted (2) Sundays per month.
Dates will be available in the office starting in April.
Time: Meet at the Summa Gate 9:45 am Sharp on the scheduled date.
Completion: Everyone must fill out and return qualification sheet at the end of the session.

Is qualification required for the Mclaughlin range only? I thought it only applied to the Summa, but maybe I remember wrong. I'd like to sight in a black powder rifle.

The 50 yard range requires qualification. If you want to qual on the 50 only, then need to qual with rifle and pistol

Jerry

Unless it's changed, the 200 yard range still has that restriction, except during matches.

If you're looking for a place to shoot highpower, MRA isn't the best place, its strengths lie in its fantastic 25Y indoor range that's open 24x7 and 50Y outdoor range and 50' air/.22 range and the wicked fun five-stand.
+1

MRA are wicked "FUDD-ish" with their outdoor ranges but the indoor ranges are great.

Granted that it is in a business neighborhood and has had a few flyers over the years, they have their reasons.

Last edited:
I'm doing research now looking for my first club to join, although technically I don't even have my LTC yet. Is this club friendly and open to those who are new to shooting in general? I am taking the firearm safety course in Jan, and applying for my LTC pretty much immediately following. I'm mainly only interested in pistols for the time being. I saw that there would be an orientation video required, demonstration of range safety and proper handling and use of a revolver, semi auto handgun and a bolt action rifle. Would this be something someone with very limited experience would be able to complete? I'm hoping this club will be the one for me since it looks like a very active club, with a variety of shooting disciplines for me to be able to observe and I'm sure with time, get involved with.

I'm doing research now looking for my first club to join, although technically I don't even have my LTC yet. Is this club friendly and open to those who are new to shooting in general? I am taking the firearm safety course in Jan, and applying for my LTC pretty much immediately following. I'm mainly only interested in pistols for the time being. I saw that there would be an orientation video required, demonstration of range safety and proper handling and use of a revolver, semi auto handgun and a bolt action rifle. Would this be something someone with very limited experience would be able to complete? I'm hoping this club will be the one for me since it looks like a very active club, with a variety of shooting disciplines for me to be able to observe and I'm sure with time, get involved with.

Back when I first joined I found it to be friendly to new shooters. However, I would recommend at least being familiar with shooting in general before going to take the test. It isn't hard, but it's better if you have at least been introduced to live fire before taking their test. The written test is no problem as long as you spend some time reading the range rules.

Back when I first joined I found it to be friendly to new shooters. However, I would recommend at least being familiar with shooting in general before going to take the test. It isn't hard, but it's better if you have at least been introduced to live fire before taking their test. The written test is no problem as long as you spend some time reading the range rules.

I have live fired pistols, shotguns some 12 year ago (skeet), and a semi/full auto 3 years ago. All isolated times. Maybe I'll be able to find someone here who would take me as a guest some time to refresher on it.

Most of the people I know who shoot are from out of state or way out in western ma. I'm sure I can figure out something. I'm not worried about knowing range safety or about any written test, mostly about the bolt action rifle portion because it is what I an least familiar with.

I have live fired pistols, shotguns some 12 year ago (skeet), and a semi/full auto 3 years ago. All isolated times. Maybe I'll be able to find someone here who would take me as a guest some time to refresher on it.

Most of the people I know who shoot are from out of state or way out in western ma. I'm sure I can figure out something. I'm not worried about knowing range safety or about any written test, mostly about the bolt action rifle portion because it is what I an least familiar with.

When I went to take the test I had not fired a rifle since I was a little kid plinking with a .22 with my uncles. I had no problem with that part of the test. If you can put rounds on paper you will be fine. Good idea to spend a little range time with a friend first.

This is a good club especially for the indoor pistol range. The members are very friendly and welcoming.

+1

MRA are wicked "FUDD-ish" with their outdoor ranges but the indoor ranges are great.

Granted that it is in a business neighborhood and has had a few flyers over the years, they have their reasons.

My nanny called in sick one day last week so I had to take my 1 yr old to a class at My Gym in rear section of Cummings Park. When I was leaving, the sounds of freedom were cracking out like someone was shooting right in the park. I'm happily surprised there aren't more complaints or false alarms at the office buildings.

I saw that there would be an orientation video required, demonstration of range safety and proper handling and use of a revolver, semi auto handgun and a bolt action rifle. Would this be something someone with very limited experience would be able to complete?

The live fire portion of the orientation serves 2 purposes:
  1. Can you hit the target. This means shots on paper, not necessarily looking for a group the size of a quarter :)
  2. Do you practice safe firearm handling on the range. It's one thing if you can quote the 4 rules and answer all the questions correctly, its another to actually put those rules into action.

Much like the written test is not designed to trick you, there is nothing overly complicated about the live fire element. If you have any prior experience with firearms (and no atrociously bad habits), you should be good to go.

When I was leaving, the sounds of freedom were cracking out like someone was shooting right in the park.

That's exactly what I tell people, "Do you hear that? That's the sound of freedom".

I can hear both Reading Rifle and Mass Rifle from my backyard. When I'm working outside, like last Saturday, it makes me happy inside.

That's exactly what I tell people, "Do you hear that? That's the sound of freedom".

I can hear both Reading Rifle and Mass Rifle from my backyard. When I'm working outside, like last Saturday, it makes me happy inside.

I can hear the trap on Wednesday and Sunday from my yard too. You're in Reading too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom