• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Reciprocity

(Disclaimer) Resurrecting older thread. This subject came up. The other day. I for got some states recognize ma LTC. What does that really do for you? It’s not like you could just go out for a day. Purchase a gun if you found a deal.
Rifle/shotgun? You absolutely could, provided it's legal in MA. Some states with waiting periods might skip it with an accepted LTC. Beyond that, it's not relevant.
Yes you could carry while visiting.
This is the whole and only point to recognition of your LTC in another state. While MA doesn't recognize any LTC except its own, many states recognize ours. That recognition means you can carry as though you had an LTC in their state (or subject to whatever adjustments they might include in their law).

As always, check the laws wherever you're thinking of going as they vary.
Is there anything else that make it important? He was making a big deal out if it and showed me the map. But I do t think he’s ever left New England
Isn't that enough?

Just because he hasn't left the northeast doesn't mean he's not justified in thinking about it. Our lives continually change, and opportunity presents itself. Maybe he's planning to drive around the American West next summer and looking forward to the expanded experience of freedom. Or perhaps he's hoping to look for a new/vacation home and would like to carry while touring properties...

Rifle/shotgun? You absolutely could, provided it's legal in MA. Some states with waiting periods might skip it with an accepted LTC. Beyond that, it's not relevant.

This is the whole and only point to recognition of your LTC in another state. While MA doesn't recognize any LTC except its own, many states recognize ours. That recognition means you can carry as though you had an LTC in their state (or subject to whatever adjustments they might include in their law).

As always, check the laws wherever you're thinking of going as they vary.

Isn't that enough?

Just because he hasn't left the northeast doesn't mean he's not justified in thinking about it. Our lives continually change, and opportunity presents itself. Maybe he's planning to drive around the American West next summer and looking forward to the expanded experience of freedom. Or perhaps he's hoping to look for a new/vacation home and would like to carry while touring properties...
Thank you. All that is what I was thinking but just needs a slap upside the head for it to sink in.

With the recent SCOTUS decision on carrying a firearm, I think we need to make the push for the Commonwealth to start recognizing other states carry permits. I had sent an email to GOAL about a month ago but had not received a reply yet. I realize there are other 2A issues to be addressed, but this might seem like a decent one to get some traction. According to Handgunlaw.us the following states will accept ours:

AK, AL, AR, AZ, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MO, MS, MT, NC, NV, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI

We should at least reciprocate acknowledging those states (yes, we should accept them all, but we have to start somewhere). While I believe Constitutional Carry should be the law across the land, at least this would save time/energy on citizens traveling to Mass and to LE, and possibly avoid Imperial entanglements/lawsuits along the way. So how do we do it? Do I just call up my local rep and ask that they sponsor a bill? (unfortunately a Dem but I'm willing to give it a shot, pun not intended). What say you guys?
Might happen after 30 or 40 years of litigation

There is no reciprocity between MA and any other state. Until ME and NH went to Constitutional Carry, they didn't recognize other New England states permits or licenses. RI and CT don't, but both appear to be okay on non resident licenses. Once you get south of PA the states are overall pretty good. MD sucks, but WV, VA, NC, TN, and the rest of the south are good. SC will recognize some states resident permits, but not non resident permits.

That will persist until the issue is fully litigated. As with requiring a fee for a license, it's a matter of someone litigating it and winning.

Bruen was the end of the beginning of restoring the Second Amendment in the US.

If you have a PA LTC, you can carry in Louisiana.
I have a PA LTC.

I wanted to keep it simple and not add whatever LTC I have. Kept it to MA only.

By the way, getting the PA license is stupid easy. It just s*cks having to drive, but the drive is not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom