Massachusetts Compliant M&P9 Magazine Question

I recently picked up the M&P9 Carry and Range kit and I've noticed that in all three of my magazines I can only get 9 rounds in. Is this an issue with the Magazine just needing to be worked a bit or is the M&P9 only 9+1 instead of 10+1?

If it is something that I can fix on my own easily (like going in and cutting the magazine spring a little to get that 10th round in), can someone provide instructions on how to do it?

I used the SKU from the box and this is the link on S&W's website. They only have the capacity listed as 10... Click here to see Smith's Page. If that link doesn't work the SKU is 139351.

I truly wish MA would get rid of this ten round BS. I love the gun... I want the 17 rounds >.< (I'm also starting to wonder if I should have gotten the Compact...)

eat some spinach, popeye. You can get the 10th in there if you put your purse into it.

I've got 10 of these mags that at first I thought couldn't hold 10 rounds. It's tough, but you can squeeze them in there.

eat some spinach, popeye. You can get the 10th in there if you put your purse into it.

I've got 10 of these mags that at first I thought couldn't hold 10 rounds. It's tough, but you can squeeze them in there.

Alright I'll give it a real good shot when I get home tonight. I just was expecting something like my M&P45 which easily and very happily took my 10 rounds

Where did you get the carry and range kit, I have been waiting for them to appear locally...

I got it last Thursday from Four Seasons in Woburn

Last edited:
Actually you can cut the bottom of the follower off to fit it in better, its an issue some of the newer Non-LEO M&P9 mags have.

check youtube for some good instructions if you feel like doing the work

@ Flintoid: Theres an actually issue with certain M&P9 mags, you can't just muscle it in cuz the mag wont fit in the gun very well, even if you do manage to. and if you jam it in it can do damage to the gun, trimming off some of the floor plate is the only good solution right now.

Thats the very reason I sold mine after owning it for a month, got myself a real Glock, you can get mags over ten rounds in Glocks, but not with M&P's... or not legally atleast lol

that and I felt like I could snap the trigger in half if I squeeze too hard lol, what a terrible design they came up with

Last edited:
I used the SKU from the box and this is the link on S&W's website. They only have the capacity listed as 10... Click here to see Smith's Page. If that link doesn't work the SKU is 139351.

I truly wish MA would get rid of this ten round BS. I love the gun... I want the 17 rounds >.< (I'm also starting to wonder if I should have gotten the Compact...)

I'm not totally sure, but I think 10 rounds is the LARGEST mag size you can get for them, not just I MA either lmao [rolleyes]

I kinda went through wat your doing, and couldn't find anything over 10 rounds

but I may be mistaken.

that and I felt like I could snap the trigger in half if I squeeze too hard lol, what a terrible design they came up with

The trigger is fixable if you put in an APEX kit and swap out some springs.

The mag situation, however, sucks... and it's one of the primary reasons I'll never own an M&P 9 or a .40 while im stuck within the borders of this state.

-Mike

The mag situation, however, sucks... and it's one of the primary reasons I'll never own an M&P 9 or a .40 while im stuck within the borders of this state.

It's why I bought the M&P45 first. Then I got mesmerized by the M&P9 Carry and Range kit and remembered how cheap it was to shoot. I also figure it'll be a couple years before I can even think about moving outta this damned state. I hope that I can get that 10th round in tonight.

yeah even if u could find a 17 round mag, they're are no Pre-ban mags for obvious reasons lol [banghead][bs1]

Yea I was holding them at Cabela's in East Hartford last weekend just slowly shaking my head going if only I could bring you home hah.

You probably have the new Gray Followers. If so, it's unlikely you will fit 10 rounds in. IF you do, you will not be able to insert a 10 round mag on a closed slide. I had to file down the followers to fit 10. Leave the spring alone. IMO this is not acceptable. A 10 round mag. is a 10 round mag.. S&W should step up and make this right.

IF I have to carry 10 rounds, then I want 10 of the biggest I can get so I bought a 45

You probably have the new Gray Followers. If so, it's unlikely you will fit 10 rounds in. IF you do, you will not be able to insert a 10 round mag on a closed slide. I had to file down the followers to fit 10. Leave the spring alone. IMO this is not acceptable. A 10 round mag. is a 10 round mag.. S&W should step up and make this right.

Looks like you're right
3XRim.jpg

Here's it with nine
vm3lU.jpg

Clearly it's showing it can hold ten
UXeDI.jpg

I'm going to call Smith and Wesson again tomorrow. I sent them an email today and called them today but I got a voicemail and no response to my email. Hopefully they will be willing to send me some proper magazines. I've been happy with both M&P's but loading the M&P9 without the speed loader is impossible (which is probably due to the shape of that follower)

You get that last round in there Popeye?

When you do, leave it in loaded up with 10 if you don't want to do the mag follower mod as suggested earlier.

All the 10 rounders that Smith has are the new "grey" style.
You need to do the mod since the new 10 round cripple mags are even more handicapped.
...You may be able to get a free mag out of Smith if you get an understanding empathetic CS rep...

Well, if nothing else I have to call them and complain about the magazine anyways. This follower is awkwardly shaped and to be honest makes it difficult to load unless you're using the speed loader. I can load my M&P45 entirely before I can even get the first round in the magazine of the M&P9. I'm also going to point out that it doesn't really make any sort of case for a carry gun because we already lose 7 rounds compared to other states and with these new mags we lose another.

I truly wish I went with the compact now because at least then I'm only losing 2 rounds. But I wanted the full size because I can grip it better and wanted to have it be as close as my 45 as possible.

I'll look around for at least one mag that doesn't have that grey follower. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky

Edit: With a lot of force I was able to get the 10th round in all 3 magazines. And just like someone previously stated in this thread. I can't get it in the gun.

Last edited:
sounds like the plastic tolerances have changed since my mags were made. Mine have the "gray followers" so it's not just the color- it's their geometry.

Send em back to S&W. They'll fix them.

Here's a quick update. I called Smith and Wesson up. They told me they are going to send out a shipping label and that all I'd have to do is send the mags to them and they would swap em out for me.

Hopefully the new ones will work and I'll be a happy camper until I move out of Massachusetts and get me some of those 17 round "evils"

So after a couple days of loading/unloading trying to get the spring to break in... I have been able to get 10 rounds in. I have to still REALLY push down hard. Far more than I have with any other gun. Then when I try to insert the gun into the magazine, it goes this far before it needs to be slammed in hard, way harder than it should need to.

3w5yd.jpg

I know it's too hard and it should be going in easier because if you eject the magazine and look at the casing, it's actually dented.

VWby4.jpg

I'm sending these back to Smith this weekend

My M&P 9c was the same way. New springs on S&W mags are reeeeeeally tight. It loosens up after a 300 rds or so but it helped mine to store them full for a week or so. For a while I thought you could only insert a full mag with the slide open too. Called S&W and they basically said to slam it in there like you mean it. Its made for Military and Police applications, hence the name. If you have to really force it in the first few times, it can take it.

I understand that the followers are the problem. However I don't have a dremel nor do I really have any experiencing modifying anything on a firearm. TBH I don't feel that comfortable doing it since this is something I spent a decent amount of money on and it should have worked right out the box... Plus if I return them to Smith there might be a chance I get a fourth magazine which, in this case more magazines isn't a bad thing :)

I understand that the followers are the problem. However I don't have a dremel nor do I really have any experiencing modifying anything on a firearm. TBH I don't feel that comfortable doing it since this is something I spent a decent amount of money on and it should have worked right out the box... Plus if I return them to Smith there might be a chance I get a fourth magazine which, in this case more magazines isn't a bad thing :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's total BS that S&W is doing this. If you get a free magazine out of it that's great. Unfortunately in the end it will likely have the "new" follower and still need to be modified. I've moved all my old followers to the mags that I use for competition where I need to do 10+1 and/or do speed or tactical reloads. I've got a few new mags that I need to modify.

Have any of you read the multiple threads on this? The springs are tight but it's the followers that is the real problem. The mags with the new followers need to be modified.

+1 this. My 9 mag was so tight on a closed slide that I had to set the mag base against a workbench and push the gun down onto the mag.. and yes it left a dent in the casing. (Just like in your pic). S&W is full of crap if they tell you this is some how, "Normal". It's a nice gun but come on. $500.00 out the door. Another $100+ for a trigger mod. (Which 99% of M&P owners do) and now having to deal w/ Magazine issue's. S&W are you out there.................

Last edited:
ok, I really don't see any of this.... when I read someone is loading his magazine by
HTML:
I had to set the mag base against a workbench and push the gun down onto the mag..
Really..... are you kidding me, something just sounds wrong about that. Put the mag in the gun and slam it like it is supposed to be done with your palm if you are loading with the slide closed. If it is that hard.. lock the slide back, install the mag easily, with no pressure and release the slide loading the first round.. It seems to me that is the most likely scenario to load our pistols. I mean, have you guys shot your guns, if so, when the last round is fired the slide locks back, install new mag and release slide. This whole situation just doesn't seem right.. I have 4 of these guns, I know what ya mean about loading the last round in the mag, yes, miine are tight on my newest 40c produced gun in Dec. but they load up fine, and yes, the magazine is stiff going in with the slide closed, but heck... if you can install it on your bench top, you can slam it with your palm. The gun or the mag is not broke. Shoot the darn gun...

ok, I really don't see any of this.... when I read someone is loading his magazine by
HTML:
I had to set the mag base against a workbench and push the gun down onto the mag..
Really..... are you kidding me, something just sounds wrong about that. Put the mag in the gun and slam it like it is supposed to be done with your palm if you are loading with the slide closed. If it is that hard.. lock the slide back, install the mag easily, with no pressure and release the slide loading the first round.. It seems to me that is the most likely scenario to load our pistols. I mean, have you guys shot your guns, if so, when the last round is fired the slide locks back, install new mag and release slide. This whole situation just doesn't seem right.. I have 4 of these guns, I know what ya mean about loading the last round in the mag, yes, miine are tight on my newest 40c produced gun in Dec. but they load up fine, and yes, the magazine is stiff going in with the slide closed, but heck... if you can install it on your bench top, you can slam it with your palm. The gun or the mag is not broke. Shoot the darn gun...

Do you regularly do 10+1? Have you ever done a speed reload on a closed slide with one of these crappy followers? Unfortunately they need to be modified.

Back
Top Bottom