• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Turkey Permit Reminder

Thanks for the reminder! I am looking forward to getting out this year with my son. It will be his first time at age 12, almost 13.

I went on-line tonight and bought my license with all my stamps and turkey permit. It was convienant for the $5.00 surcharge but I did miss getting the actual stamps for archery and black powder. I have a box full of 30 years of old licenses and stamps and these new on-line prints wont be included. Next year I think I will just go to my town hall!

Almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder.

ETA: And I'm done. Online is the way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder! I am looking forward to getting out this year with my son. It will be his first time at age 12, almost 13.

I went on-line tonight and bought my license with all my stamps and turkey permit. It was convienant for the $5.00 surcharge but I did miss getting the actual stamps for archery and black powder. I have a box full of 30 years of old licenses and stamps and these new on-line prints wont be included. Next year I think I will just go to my town hall!

This is the last year for actual stamps...if all goes correctly. Next year (2012 licenses) will all be electronic; bought through kiosks or at home. This isn't going to end well...imho

This is the last year for actual stamps...if all goes correctly. Next year (2012 licenses) will all be electronic; bought through kiosks or at home. This isn't going to end well...imho

Sounds about right. NY has gone to that system printing everything out on shiny slippery paper. It sucks....
I miss the old card paper tags that you could actually write on.

I did miss getting the actual stamps for archery and black powder. I have a box full of 30 years of old licenses and stamps and these new on-line prints wont be included.

You may still want to get the 2011 actual stamps just to finish off your collection. Many people have come into the office and bought several of them at a time, even though they need only one.

Printing your own unlimited tags from your own computer. What could possibly go wrong with that? A poachers dream if you ask me as there is no way to catch someone who does their own butchering. Just print out another tag for your next trip. You will be able to watch the deer numbers plummet and DFW will not make any accurate adjustments as they only use estimated numbers.

The convenience fee is what really aggravates me. We have to pay a fee for using a system that makes it easier for the state. I always buy mine at the sporting goods store. It doesn't cost me anything extra as I am going there anyway.

Bob

I lost my certs, so i ended up doing it online today just in time i might add. also found a 50$ cabelas gift card in my wallet while searchin for some things

it was a win win

I was thinking I might go turkey hunting this coming week on a weekday. Can these stamps just be purchased at Walmart or Town Hall? This would have been my first time out turkey hunting, and I was not even aware I needed the additional stamp. I knew there was a duck stamp, and a separate deer permit. All these add-ons are just ridiculous, don't you think? I wonder if they can be deducted at tax time under "other taxes paid".

I was thinking I might go turkey hunting this coming week on a weekday. Can these stamps just be purchased at Walmart or Town Hall? This would have been my first time out turkey hunting, and I was not even aware I needed the additional stamp. I knew there was a duck stamp, and a separate deer permit. All these add-ons are just ridiculous, don't you think? I wonder if they can be deducted at tax time under "other taxes paid".

You must mail in the "application for the permit" just like you do for a bear permit or a doe permit and you must include the $5.00 check. DFW turns them around pretty quickly after the initial deadline. If you really want to go this coming week I would call the nearest DFW office and see if they can do it for you in person if you drive down there. If you don't get it until after the season you will still have the fall turkey tag that you can use during the fall.

Don't forget that silly ass sticker for your shotgun or you will get a ticket if you run into an EPO. Those can be picked up at the DFW office or you can send in a self addressed envelope with a note and they will mail you some.

Bob

Or just get it online. That sticker is a bitch though, took the DFW two days to send me a few, so it you get it in the mail today, you should be good to go by weds.

Or just get it online. That sticker is a bitch though, took the DFW two days to send me a few, so it you get it in the mail today, you should be good to go by weds.

I didn't think of that. That is a great idea and you should be able to just print it out but I think that option is only available if you purchased your license Online. If you need a set of stickers I have a spare just PM me your address and they will go out in the mail in the AM.

Bob

Any DFW Office will sell you your tags over-the-counter as long as you have your license with you and $5. The stickers are also available for free.

What sticker? Is that in addition to the $5 tag? WTF? Too many hoops. I may just say screw it.

What sticker? Is that in addition to the $5 tag? WTF? Too many hoops. I may just say screw it.

From the regs:

SAFETY STICKER:
A person shall not hunt wild turkey by means of a shotgun, or have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless that person has obtained a "safety sticker" as provided or approved by the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife and affixed the sticker to his shotgun in such a manner that the sticker is visible to the shooter while sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. Safety stickers are not required of persons hunting turkey by archery.

Otherwise known as the silly ass safety sticker that is use to suggest that you don't shoot a human.

Also Known As a revenue generator for the state via an EPO ticket.

The ones I have are yellow and say "Be Safe" on them.[rofl]

Although if you read the regs closely it appears that only male hunters need the stickers. Females appear to be exempt.[rofl]

Bob

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_turkey.htm

Is any of this ^ true?

Edit: Answering myself, I see the regulation. Wow, just wow! It also answers the next question I was going to ask about using a rifle.

So, where can I get one of these stickers and stamps before Wednesday or Thursday this week?

How come we got the regulation changed to allow break open black powder guns, but not get this removed? Someone at one of the manufacturers must be connected politically.

Last edited:
So, where can I get one of these stickers and stamps before Wednesday or Thursday this week?
There is no stamp needed. You only need your turkey tags and a sticker. Tags are available now over-the-counter for $5 at Fish & Wildlife offices in Dalton, Belchertown, West Boylston, Westborough, Ayer and Buzzards Bay. Just need to bring your hunting license. The stickers are also available at the above offices for no cost.
How come we got the regulation changed to allow break open black powder guns, but not get this removed? Someone at one of the manufacturers must be connected politically.
The NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation) came up with the sticker idea, not DFW. DFW just went along with it. It's for the children...

Last edited:
I imagine any round green sticker would suffice. Just write "hunt safely" on it. If you're in central MA, I would be happy to meet you and give you a "regulation" sticker. PM me if you want.

Back
Top Bottom