Mass resident buying from Cabela's?

I made the trip from Mass to the Cabela's store in Connecticut this weekend to cash in my Cabela's Visa points for a cap and ball pistol. It got me wondering if I would be able to purchase an over/under shotgun in the Connecticut or Maine store. If so, would I need to ship it to an FFL or could I drive it back with me? Any feedback would be appreciated.

i believe conn requires a 10 day waiting period for a non resident long gun purchase. at least that is what i was told last summer when i wanted to get the wife an 1100 20 ga.they had in stock. oh well found one on gun broker and shipped it in an was still cheaper. you should be ok in me.

Yup..CT has a waiting period, so you'd have to make 2 trips....if the deal is good enough and you're up for the ride, just FA-10 when you get home....

OK I'm not sure what a FA-10 is for ? I thought that the FA-10 forms were for person to person sales ? You need to send one if you buy a gun from out of state ??? I didn't know that.

Wouldn't buying it in CT at Cabela's who is an FFL store be all you had to do, they no you are from MASS by your licence and / or your permit, wouldn't they do the correct paper work there ?

I was told the same thing by them once, I think it's 13 days you have to wait on long guns but anything else falls under the 19** (correction 1998), so pistols / revolvers are preatty much a no sale for us MASS people.

Please don't flame me here, I'm not sure that's why I didn't say it's this way for sure and I'm not sure what the FA-10 is for, again the gun thing was told to me by them so I'm not sure there either.

Last edited:
14 day waiting period unless you possess a CT hunting license. if you have a CT hunting license then it is same day transfer.

OK I'm not sure what a FA-10 is for ? I thought that the FA-10 forms were for person to person sales ? You need to send one if you buy a gun from out of state ??? I didn't know that.

Wouldn't buying it in CT at Cabela's who is an FFL store be all you had to do, they no you are from MASS by your licence and / or your permit, wouldn't they do the correct paper work there ?

I was told the same thing by them once, I think it's 13 days you have to wait on long guns but anything else falls under the 1989 (right year ?), so pistols / revolvers are preatty much a no sale for us MASS people.

Please don't flame me here, I'm not sure that's why I didn't say it's this way for sure and I'm not sure what the FA-10 is for, again the gun thing was told to me by them so I'm not sure there either.

FA-10's are also required for guns you purchase out of state. Not sure what you are referring to WRT 1989.

14 day waiting period unless you possess a CT hunting license. if you have a CT hunting license then it is same day transfer.

...or handgun permit

FA-10's are also required for guns you purchase out of state. Not sure what you are referring to WRT 1989.
t

Thanks.

I quess I will have to pick up some FA-10's incase I need one. It is just me, but, if I sell a gun to another person I allways do it as a transfer at a gun shop. I don't no, I quess with all the law suits flying over anything now a days I feel more covered if I go through a FFL gun shop. Again that's just the way I feel.

The 1989 is the cut off year, again I'm not sure on the year, but isn't there something where we Mass people can't buy an older gun that was made after that year unless we can prove it was sold in MASS allready or something like that.

OK here it is : MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

3. Pre 98 documented - (eg, owner has paperwork showing it was owned/registered in MA before 10/21/98) = completely exempt from AG and EOPS regs. Doesn't matter what the handgun is, etc, as long as that paperwork is there. Also doesn't matter WHERE the handgun currently is either, as long as the paperwork is there. I once had a friend of mine that moved out of MA but had "MA guns" with paperwork intact. He could still transfer them back in the state to a new MA owner, because they were "registered and in the state on/before 10/21/98".

New it was something like that, I had the 9 and 8 mixed up, it's 1998 not 1989.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I quess I will have to pick up some FA-10's incase I need one. It is just me, but, if I sell a gun to another person I allways do it as a transfer at a gun shop. I don't no, I quess with all the law suits flying over anything now a days I feel more covered if I go through a FFL gun shop. Again that's just the way I feel.

The 1989 is the cut off year, again I'm not sure on the year, but isn't there something where we Mass people can't buy an older gun that was made after that year unless we can prove it was sold in MASS allready or something like that.

David,

This isn't a flame, but an attempt to help you with some good advice.

You appear to have been posting here since 2006 and have over 600 posts, but you don't appear to know nearly enough about MA law to prevent yourself from the risk of getting into a legal bind someday. You may want to shift the focus of the types of threads you're visiting.

There is an enormous amount of information here about gun laws in MA, that (unfortunately) MA gun owners should make a real effort to understand to protect themselves. It would be fabulous if the laws didn't exist at all, but they do. Since they do, it's in your own best interest to study (at least) the STICKIES at the top of each forum to look for guidance on what you can legally buy, possess, tranfer, etc and to understand the basics of the state's 'safe storage' laws and the laws dealing with the use of deadly force.

Last edited:
FYI, so you are up on the laws.....

I'd go up to Maine.....just the federal form/background check and you walk out with it. As soon as you get home within 7 days you will need to fill out an FA-10 yourself and send it in. Your long gun should be MA compliant...meaning no post AWB hi caps, bayonet lug, or flash suppressor....

If it was a pistol you would have Cabela's send it to your FFL in MA, and do a transfer which there is usually a fee for.... You would also want to check with your FFL on which pistol he/she would feel comfortable accepting per compliancy regs. Most in state FFL's won't accept non MA compliant pistols such as Glocks..etc, unless they were made pre-98'. However if your FFL will accept current production pistols there is nothing in the law that says you cannot own them as long as they are tranferred via in state FFL.

Last edited:
David,

You appear to have been posting here since 2006 and have over 600 posts, but you don't appear to know nearly enough about MA law to prevent yourself from the risk of getting into a legal bind someday. You may want to shift the focus of the types of threads you're visiting.

There is an enormous amount of information here about gun laws in MA, that (unfortunately) MA gun owners should make a real effort to understand to protect themselves. It would be fabulous if the laws didn't exist at all, but they do. Since they do, it's in your own best interest to study (at least) the STICKIES at the top of each forum to look for guidance on what you can legally buy, possess, tranfer, etc and to understand the basics of the state's 'safe storage' laws and the laws dealing with the use of deadly force.

Yes I agree, I most times try to stay with answering a post with things that I am sure about, helping people find the right holster or do-dad for there gun. I do not no a lot about the laws and I am the 1st to say that, as you saw I corrected myself in that thread and posted a link to the law thread. And as you see more information has come out as to what you have to do to buy a gun at Cabela's (or anywere else for that matter) so if someone wanted to buy something they are more informed now. I was correct as to what I said though, there is a year for guns, there is a waiting time for buying the gun unless you have a CT permit.

What I hate is when someone answers with only a half answer or flames a person ( I'm not saying you flamed me) for trying to help out, I would say there is only a hand full of people on this board that no the MASS laws in and out. I don't buy a gun everyday and I would say I'm kind of like a lot of the other people on this board that only buy a gun now and than, so yes I think I'm like them when it comes to nowing the law about bringing a gun into Mass, we are not sure of every law. At least I answered with what I new about, and a lot more about what you have to do has came out about it also, so it has helped people know just what you have to do if you want to buy a gun at Cablea's to bring home.

I will allways try to help someone out, I may not be 100 % correct, and I say that, I will never say I know this and you have to listen to what I say, There is enough people here that can come in to help with an answer but don't, at least I try to help, and as you see more information has come out to help.

We as a forum, I think this way at least, are here to help people were we can and to have fun also. You can't learn unless you ask a question, and that is what is great about this forum, there is a lot of people here willing to help out our fellow gun onwers. We have to stick together, if we don't the anti gunners won't have to tear us apart, we will do it for them.

Again I try to help, at least that is more than some do.

David

Mike, do you know where this is in the regs? Bought 2 shoties in Ct using my Ct. pistol permit to walk out the door with them. Both times no go with my Ct. hunting lic.

I do not have a link to the regs, but every store I have bought a long gun from has asked me for either my hunting license or my permit.
No need for a hunting license if you have a CC permit.

Are the post-ban hi-caps, bayonet lug and flash suppressors the only thing that us licensed MA residents really need to worry about when buying a long gun up in ME? I'd be able to walk in, pass the background check, and walk out with one that I can lock up in a case, throw in the car/trunk and take home (filling out the paperwork within 7 days)? I'm thinking about heading up to see if I can find a scoped semi or bolt rifle - nothing too assault-y...

New guy,

That should be it...there are no state forms in NH or Maine...just the fed form. A person who is knowledgeable behind the counter will likely check that you have an LTC/FID in MA, so make sure you do have that on you. After that fill out the fed form, walk out the door with it. 7 Days fill out the FA-10. Done

Last edited:
David,

He's saying to spend less time reading the stuff that me and Blitz post, and more time in the Gun Laws section.

Wedgie.gif

Again I try to help, at least that is more than some do.

I'm going to be blunt - don't take offense, please, as this is a general statement regarding my observations over the past few years.

If someone doesn't know something about MA law and posts an answer to someone's legal question, and that person runs off and does something illegal unknowingly before someone can correct the errant information, and that person gets in deep s*** for it... is it really worth it? If you don't know, sit back and let someone else answer. Some of the most legally-informed persons here, like jdubois, drgrant, etc... they know these laws like the back of their hands and they still sometimes miss something. I've seen a lot of posts where persons posted responses (not maliciously, just out of ignorance) that could have easily landed the OP in prison for a long, long time. If you're sure of your answer, then by all means, go ahead. If you're not sure, do a search or ask someone.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It sounds like when the time is right I'll make the trip to Maine.

Are the post-ban hi-caps, bayonet lug and flash suppressors the only thing that us licensed MA residents really need to worry about when buying a long gun up in ME? I'd be able to walk in, pass the background check, and walk out with one that I can lock up in a case, throw in the car/trunk and take home (filling out the paperwork within 7 days)? I'm thinking about heading up to see if I can find a scoped semi or bolt rifle - nothing too assault-y...

NO! Collapsible or folding stocks need to be added to that list of evil features (but only on semi-autos, does NOT apply to pump/lever action guns).

Right - I did actually know that collapsible stocks made guns in MA much more dangerous (though the application to semis only is welcome news to me). Threaded muzzles will go on the list as well. Now grenade launchers... are they ALL off limits, or just the hi-cap ones?

Right - I did actually know that collapsible stocks made guns in MA much more dangerous (though the application to semis only is welcome news to me). Threaded muzzles will go on the list as well. Now grenade launchers... are they ALL off limits, or just the hi-cap ones?

That's because your looking at the laws with common sense.....sorry I did forget the collapsible stock /threaded barrel part on semi auto's. If your in the market for grenade launchers...check the regs LOL!!

And vellnueve was right a few posts ago always check the regs just don't listen to people on this site.....

Off topic, but related question. Has anyone been to Cabela's in Hartford? Is it any good? Worth the 2 hour trip?

I swing by a couple times a month. I don't know if it's worth a 2 hour trip, but I'm a fan. If there's something specific you're looking for you can have it shipped to the store for free and pick it up. This includes ammo (but not powder and primers due to hazmat fees).

Any semi-auto rifle with a detachable mag will count ANY grenade launcher as one evil feature.

Off topic, but related question. Has anyone been to Cabela's in Hartford? Is it any good? Worth the 2 hour trip?

It's not bad....I go buy a lot on my way to hunt down there, so I stop. They do have a good amount of reloading stuff and a lot of everything. I buy all my jerky spices and butchering supplies there too...It's worth the 2 hour trip if you've got stuff to buy and have never been there. The store is cool. They can be out of stuff, so if your into something specific call ahead of time and make sure they have it.

I recommend you do get their Club Visa, you get points for everything you buy anywhere, and youll also get the 20 and 30 off purchases of 150 cards. I've walked out of there many a time getting lots of stuff for just points....

Back
Top Bottom