• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass MG dealers?

mark2215

NES Member
I just got my MG license. Woohoo. Now I need to start looking for my first gun. What Mass dealers work with machine guns? I've been checking all the usual web sites but want to find a local dealer to talk with and work out transfer details in case I ever find a gun I can afford. Where are all these sub-10k m16 deals people say to watch for anyway?

Any suggestions for 1st purchase?

You would be suprised just how many FFL's are also SOT's, just ask. I can see your going to jump right in with a RR. You might want to gain a little experience with an entry NFA weapon first (assuming that you don't have any prior backround with ClassIII type weapons) MAC, MK, REISING, etc. Get a firm understanding on what you are getting into, its a whole new world. As for sub 10K M16's you will find that unless the weapon is part of a forced sale, you get what you pay for. Its going to be of a lesser "brand name" more likely a OLY mfgr/conversion, which are known for spec. isues. I could go on but these are things you will need to learn.

One of the members at my club is a MG dealer. A recent conversation with him went like this:

Him: The only way to get a decent deal is find some MG owner who died and deal with his estate.

Me: How has your health been lately?

One of the members at my club is a MG dealer. A recent conversation with him went like this:

Him: The only way to get a decent deal is find some MG owner who died and deal with his estate.

Me: How has your health been lately?

Lol, now that's funny.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I realize I have so much to learn and do not plan on buying anything until I fully research my options and fully know what I'm buying.

Check in with Jim Sheppard at Zero Hour Arms (Easton). I got an M16 (transferrable Sendra) from him a couple of years back for right about $10K. He usually has a line on some cool stuff and may even have it at the shop.

Chris

Congrats on the license!

I don't know what you've shot before but to maybe help you decide what you like, consider renting a few different MGs at Manchester Firing Line in NH.

They are all fun but it may give you an idea of what you really enjoy and might like to own. You can then research your purchase based on your experience rather than someone else's.

I just got my MG license. Woohoo. Now I need to start looking for my first gun. What Mass dealers work with machine guns? I've been checking all the usual web sites but want to find a local dealer to talk with and work out transfer details in case I ever find a gun I can afford. Where are all these sub-10k m16 deals people say to watch for anyway?

Any suggestions for 1st purchase?

One-eyed-Jack and I are both MG dealers with our SOT's. ZHA is and I also know of another on the South Shore. If you are shopping online any of us could do the transfer for you.

As far as, sub-10K M16's go, good luck as you'll probably have to look hard for one. Most will be in the $13-17K range. There are several places that have MG classifieds, so don't limit yourself to just GunBroker.

I haven't even been looking at gunbroker, I was mainly looking at subguns and sturm. Most m16's I've seen in the past few months are right around 15k. I plan on going to the Monadnock shoot coming up so I'm hoping there will be a few mg's for me to try out and figure out what I like. I like the idea of finding a gun in state. This seems to make things so much easier plus the wait time should be less for the transfer.

In state tranfs. are best, as you save the additional $200. However, the wait time is now expected to be 6+ months on a form 4 in state trans.....ask me how I know, went pending 10/11.

I plan on going to the Monadnock shoot in April. You can try my subguns (Thompson, Grease Gun, MAC 10, Reising). All in .45 ACP. If the usual suspects show up there will be other machine guns also. Because of the mickey mouse supposed MG restrictions, you might have a hard time finding MGs to shoot in Mass. Remember, once you go full auto, you'll never go back to women! Jack.

I plan on going to the Monadnock shoot in April. You can try my subguns (Thompson, Grease Gun, MAC 10, Reising). All in .45 ACP. If the usual suspects show up there will be other machine guns also. Because of the mickey mouse supposed MG restrictions, you might have a hard time finding MGs to shoot in Mass. Remember, once you go full auto, you'll never go back to women! Jack.
Sorry, missed the part about you having the Green Card, so you can shoot other's guns in Mass. Jack.

You might also want to consider an FN FNC. They are going for around $7500.00, and take standard NATO (M16 mags). If you want to break that cost up, you could buy a semi auto FNC for $3500.00, and then later buy a sear (readily avialble for about $3000.00, and pay about $600.00 to have the conversion work done. If you're interested, IM me, as I have an as-new FNC semi in box that I'd be willing to part with.

How about finding a registered m4 auto sear ive seen some in the past anywhere from 5.5-8k. out of my league for a piece of metal or dreams of ever owning a mg.

What is a M4 auto sear? Are you talking about a DIAS? They are in the price range of a RR 10K-15K if you are lucky enough to find one that is true drop in unit... (that is not married to the lower). Or are you talking about a Lighting Link, two totally different units and methods of select fire in the 7K-8K range.

What is a M4 auto sear?

AR/M4 full autos may be registered by the lower, or the auto sear. An auto-sear is a part that is worth about $15, but the fact that the serial number for a particular autosear is in the transferrable NFA registry adds $7000+ to the value. I'm not talking about the "Drop in autosear (DIAS)", but the original M16 design that requires an additional hole in the AR lower (having a lower that is not NFA registered with such a hole drilled is very bad juju unless you have a registered autosear to go with it).

If you have a registered autosear, federal tax stamp, and state MG license (if in a state that requires it) you can take any M4gery/A15, and convert to full auto using the registered autosear.

Rob,

Not sure if your a Class III shooter or SOT, but you have your facts a little mixed up. Any M16 or AR15 conversion reg. w/NFA prior the 86 cutoff is considered to be tranfs. by means of a form 4 or 3 between civs/dealers. Further the auto sear, which is the device which allows select fire, is NOT registered, but rather the RR by the ser # on the lower. In fact the hole in the RR would be in most terms the part which is considered restricted by NFA. The term M4 auto sear is moot as the DIAS can be adapted to several AR15 platforms (with some machining). A DAIS does not require to have the standard auto sear hole drilled in the host rec. for function as it is self contained, drilling a hole in any AR15 rec. even while in poss. of a DIAS is a federal crime, as you just created a MG (unless you hold a proper FFL/SOT) Again the DIAS are not 15K+7K in fact if you can locate one you are likely to pay around 11K-13K in the current market.

Not sure if your a Class III shooter or SOT, but you have your facts a little mixed up. Any M16 or AR15 conversion reg. w/NFA prior the 86 cutoff is considered to be tranfs. by means of a form 4 or 3 between civs/dealers. Further the auto sear, which is the device which allows select fire, is NOT registered, but rather the RR by the ser # on the lower.

I am not a Class II or SOT holder, and welcome the chance to be educated.

My understanding was that certain guns, including the M16/AR variants, in registered full auto were available in two flavors - "Registered Receiver" and "Registered Sear", and that a "Registered sear" was legally the "machine gun", and could be used to legally convert a semi (provided, of course, that one was not creating a second "with hold" AR lower). But, my understanding may be incomplete and it may very well be that the only "registerable" sears are ones that do not require a hole in the lower.

I believe that the various HKs are also available in "Registered receiver" and "Registered sear" variants as well.

But, as I mentioned, I am not an expert on all nuances of Class III. Is my understanding of the concept of "registered sear" incorrect, or is it correct for some model guns but not others?

Last edited:
Rob,

No worries, things can get a little distorted trying to get a grasp on NFA stuff.

1. Registered Receiver: has a hole in the rec. to support an auto sear for select fire (NFA registered)
2. DIAS: Drop In Auto Sear this is a self contained unit which is dropped into a host gun(s) (NFA reistered)
3. Lighting Link: device which also allows full auto fire, most likely married to a lower (NFA registered)

The RR has a hole for the auto sear which is NOT a ser# part as the RR ser# is the NFA part. The DIAS will most likely need to fitted to your lower, and are sometimes married to a lower host when bought. Most wanted by AR class III crowd, due to its flexable nature.The lighting link will also require fitting to the lower and is not compatiable with all cals. or modes of fire. But can have mods made to acheive this. Both the Lighting Link and the DIAS DO NOT require a hole in the rec. for function. Drilling a hole in any AR15 rec (which is not already registered with NFA) for use or install of an auto sear, is a federal crime as you just made a MG. Hope this helps

Thanks,
Greg
Carlson Comps Inc.

Thanks!!! It appears the point I missed is that a "registers sear gun" must use a drop in auto sear that does not require the hole in the lower.

Rob,

Registered sear gun would be directed towards a family of weapons that would be made to function(in select fire) with a sear pack in a host weapon. The sear would be considered the NFA registered item (such as a FNC sear or HK sear/trigger pack) hence the term sear gun. The term sear gun would only (if at all) apply to an AR15 which would host a DIAS. Other wise the family of AR16/M16 FA conversions would be known as a Registered receiver(s). The lingo can get confusing but is very relevent when speaking NFA.

Thanks,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom