Mass LTC and knives

So, having looked at all this stuff, are Balisongs legal to carry in MA? I see a lot of references to switchblades and ballistic knives in the carry sections, but nothing expressly mentioning a Balisong/Butterfly knife. Any thoughts/experiences?

As MisterHappy has said, single edged is good to go via state law, but you would need to check on local ordinances also to see if they are banned locally. For instance, Somerville has a local ordinance which bans the carrying of any knife more than 2.5 inches long, except while hunting. Of course, I wouldn't consider Somerville a hunting kind of town. There are several other cities in MA with a similar ordinance.

This weekend I'm participating in an all weekend outdoor event (ham radio Field Day). We are setting up camp on a school's soccer field. I've done my reading. Am I correct in thinking I could get jammed up for any kind of pocket knife on school grounds? I use my Leatherman a lot during these things and hate to leave it at home.

(the "concealed means concealed" crowd need not reply)

This weekend I'm participating in an all weekend outdoor event (ham radio Field Day). We are setting up camp on a school's soccer field. I've done my reading. Am I correct in thinking I could get jammed up for any kind of pocket knife on school grounds? I use my Leatherman a lot during these things and hate to leave it at home.

Since it is a leatherman which is obviously a tool, and it is happening on a weekend besides, you are very unlikely to run into trouble. Case in point, when I went to the 9/11 memorial in NYC, a lady right before me was allowed through with a swiss army knife, while I was forced to throw away my flipper even though the blade on my knife was shorter. Could you get in trouble? The way laws are written in this state and the way prosecutors prosecute and judges rule, you could get in trouble for almost anything anywhere.

I think you are over thinking this. Bring the Leatherman.

HAHAHAHA

"And the state-law phobias about Japanese martial-arts weapons makes me wonder if all their legislators’ parents were murdered by Ninja. That would explain a lot."

Is there actually a law against possession of a knife on school property like there is for possession of a firearm? I can't remember seeing such a thing. If not, wouldn't it end up being nothing more than a school rule?

Is there actually a law against possession of a knife on school property like there is for possession of a firearm? I can't remember seeing such a thing. If not, wouldn't it end up being nothing more than a school rule?

There are laws against bringing a knife as a student. But the only things banned overall on school property are firearms and "dangerous weapons". I haven't seen a legal definition of "dangerous weapon" though.

ALM GL ch. 269, § 10 (2012)

§ 10. Weapons — Dangerous Weapons — Unlawfully Carrying.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

Any officer in charge of an elementary or secondary school, college or university or any faculty member or administrative officer of an elementary or secondary school, college or university failing to report violations of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars.

And this only seems to apply to students:
ALM GL ch. 71, § 37H (2012)

§ 37H. Committee to Publish Rules and Regulations.

Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, all student handbooks shall contain the following provisions:

(a) Any student who is found on school premises or at school-sponsored or school-related events, including athletic games, in possession of a dangerous weapon, including, but not limited to, a gun or a knife; or a controlled substance as defined in chapter ninety-four C, including, but not limited to, marijuana, cocaine, and heroin, may be subject to expulsion from the school or school district by the principal.

MGL 269 s10 (j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

I'll see if I can find it when I get home, but believe my cruiser guide from back in 2007 had an "other dangerous weapons" definition specific to this section with precedent case listings, and included knives and pepper spray. I will try to find the literature to support that. Going off of memory from 8 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, when I saw MGL 269 s10 (j) say "...or other dangerous weapon..." I figured my getting jammed-up might be up to the mood and temprement of the PO. I wear my Leatherman on my belt, so it's in plain sight.

M&P, I eagerly await what your cruiser guide says. Thanks.

MGL 269 s10 (j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

I'll see if I can find it when I get home, but believe my cruiser guide from back in 2007 had an "other dangerous weapons" definition specific to this section with precedent case listings, and included knives and pepper spray. I will try to find the literature to support that. Going off of memory from 8 years ago...

I'm certain that you are correct. I know this is what the BC PD prosecutor used (he's now retired) for successful prosecutions of students at BC with OC.

Yeah, when I saw MGL 269 s10 (j) say "...or other dangerous weapon..." I figured my getting jammed-up might be up to the mood and temprement of the PO. I wear my Leatherman on my belt, so it's in plain sight.

M&P, I eagerly await what your cruiser guide says. Thanks.

The question comes down to what a dangerous weapon is. In Hawaii, a dirk or a dagger are deadly weapons. Court cases have ruled that a dive knife or a machete are tools, not deadly weapons. Here in MA, I'm not sure the definition is as settled, but I'd be willing to bet that a multi-tool is going to get less scrutiny than an assisted opening single bladed knife.

... but I'd be willing to bet that a multi-tool is going to get less scrutiny than an assisted opening single bladed knife.
I agree. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine given the circumstances: School is closed and locked. We're in a field. It's mostly a bunch of mangy, geeky old guys and we'll basically be doing public emergency preparedness work(operating ham radio off grid and outside for 24hrs). The club also has set up a CERT team (civilian emergency response team) and has a very good relationship with the local PD, FD and Town Hall.

Still, I don't like knowing that my freedom and spotless criminal record could be at the discretion of someone who's hot, tired, constipated and just had a fight with the wife.

Still, I don't like knowing that my freedom and spotless criminal record could be at the discretion of someone who's hot, tired, constipated and just had a fight with the wife.

Keep the Leatherman out of sight then. Put it in your pocket rather than in it's pouch on your belt.
Either way I really wouldn't freak out too much about this scenario. If it were during school hours and there were kids running around, I could see being a bit more apprehensive about it.

The closest thing I could find was this:

"MGL Chapter 269 s10 (felony) also prohibits possession of “dangerous weapons” and lists many types of weapons that are considered inherently dangerous, including but not limited to: several types of knives, metallic knuckles, nunchaku (two sticks attached to each other by a rope, chain…), shuriken or similar pointed star like throwing object, any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or pointed studs, or other dangerous weapon."

It refers to dangerous weapons, and MGL has a specific listing of Per se dangerous weapons that include nine varieties of knives (pictured below). However, I still believe there's something specific to knives in general on school property. Per se dangerous weapons refer to weapons that are a crime In and of themselves to carry (269s10b) and are not specific to the statue regarding schools. My law books/ notebooks are packed in storage and not accessible. :( if I get the chance to look I will, but I know that when I'm going to any school property, I don't have any of my knives with me for this reason.

Sorry I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for!

7db460cfaf3906650675f56f97794f68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom