Mass LTC and knives

I'm trying to understand MA knife laws.

Looking at Mass General Laws,
Chapter 269 Section 10 is about "Carrying dangerous weapons".
Chapter 269 Section 10(b) lists illegal knives.
Chapter 269 Section (a)(6) says:
“No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section”

If I read this correctly, it says no one with an LTC shall be deemed to be in violation of Section 10. Does this really mean that an LTC holder may legally carry the types of knives listed in 10(b)? Does anyone know of any case law on this point?

I did search for this, to no avail. If the topic has already been addressed, I'd appreciate a pointer to the thread.

Thanks!

An LTC confers no protection at the State level from the "Dangerous weapons" prohibitions (Knucks, double-edged knives, etc.)

The only place I know that uses an LTC for items other than firearms is Worcester, where an LTC exempts you from the blade-length ordinance.

YMMV, IANAL, etc.

The knife laws are as FUBAR as gun laws.

An LTC confers no protection at the State level from the "Dangerous weapons" prohibitions (Knucks, double-edged knives, etc.)
Can you cite a law outside ch 269 section 10, or a law/precedent that establishes that the exemption in 269(a)(6) does not apply?

This is a very interesting question, and it deserves an answer a bit more rigorous answer than a simple declarative statement.

Unfortunately, I cannot, but :

Section (a) applies specifically to firearms

Section (b) applies to the knives, etc.

at least that's how I read it, but, again, IANAL

It is an interesting question.
It is perhaps something that has never been tested, as the population of people who have an LTC; get arrested for carrying an illegal knife; and have the stamina, resources and funds to resist the inevitable plea bargain w/CWOF is probably close to, or at, zero.

OP: I am not a lawyer; AFAIK, no other respondents have JD after their names. This is the interwebs, not a Law Office.

If you want a real answer, buy an hour of legal advice from a Lawyer that specializes in this sort of stuff. Get it in writing, and post it here. You'll get rep points. [laugh]

The general consensus of many posts here is that the carrying of double-edged knives, "switchblades", etc. is prohibited, and that an LTC does not permit it (after all, it's a License to Carry Firearms). This consensus may be wrong; it may never have been tested in the courts (See Rob's post #5).

Please remember that there is vast confusion about knife laws in Mass- not too long ago, it was asserted to me that a knife with a blade more than "four fingers long" was illegal. [rolleyes]

It's a poorly written section of law; unless you have a desire to test it, or a compelling reason to carry something that is prohibited, I'd not poke the bear.

Now....if you have a question about magazine capacity, shoot! [laugh]

If I'm reading this correctly, the section is 10, a & b are subsections, and the LTC exemption applies to all of section 10.

If this is true, it would be nice for those of us in towns with ridiculous 2.5" blade length limits. When I was living near LA I could carry longer blades into the city....

If I'm reading this correctly, the section is 10, a & b are subsections, and the LTC exemption applies to all of section 10.

That is what the law says so it's reasonable to go by that. Unless there is case law someone can site to the contrary. An LTC is a de facto weapons permit.

I had www.handgunlaw.us update that a few years ago because no one else was paying attention to that.

You are explicitly exempted from Section 10 with an LTC... A or B.

People get hung up on the wording of the license, what matters is the actual law, penalty, and exemptions.

Mass issues a License to Carry Firearms, but it's still illegal to carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle, even with an unrestricted A firearms license.

Just as SC has a CCW permit that only covers handguns although the license says weapons.

Just as UT has a Concealed Firearm Permit that also permits open carry.

Just as Oregon's Concealed Handgun License allows for switchblades to be carried unconcealed into public buildings.

Just as Minnesota's Permit to Carry A Pistol is needed to carry a rifle or shotgun on foot in public.

Just as Michigan requires a Concealed Pistol License to carry a handgun in a school in an unconcealed manner (required) or to possess a rifle in a trunk in a parking lot at a grocery store.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand MA knife laws.

Looking at Mass General Laws,
Chapter 269 Section 10 is about "Carrying dangerous weapons".
Chapter 269 Section 10(b) lists illegal knives.
Chapter 269 Section (a)(6) says:
“No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section”

If I read this correctly, it says no one with an LTC shall be deemed to be in violation of Section 10. Does this really mean that an LTC holder may legally carry the types of knives listed in 10(b)? Does anyone know of any case law on this point?

I did search for this, to no avail. If the topic has already been addressed, I'd appreciate a pointer to the thread.

Thanks!

I have read that section about 30 times wondering the same question.

Where can I find the revision history of this section of the law? I suspect that the gun stuff (subsection a) was there first, and then they added the knife stuff (subsection b) and forgot to change the wording of (a)(6).

Anyone wanna be the test subject? I'll give you my 11" Italian stiletto switchblade to carry around for a day.

Actually nevermind that knife was like $250. Get your own. [wink]

Anyone know if the Boston long knife ban applies to or has relevant case law regarding bayonets on C&R milsurp rifles?

Anyone know if the Boston long knife ban applies to or has relevant case law regarding bayonets on C&R milsurp rifles?

AFAIK, the ban is on carry, not possession, so unless you're in uniform with the bayo on your belt, or have it fixed, and are walking down the street, it's not going to affect a bayonet.

Until you charge, of course....

can anyone tell me, due to my extreme confusion with MA's carry laws, confirm or deny legal carrying of any of these boot knives in my area?
:
http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-h-r-t-boot-knife-tanto-blade

http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-military-boot-knife

http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-tactical-boot-knife-black

any help would be fantastic, greatly appreciated, and very helpful. And also, hello to everyone as I am a new member, so i'm sorry if this is not where i should ask this.

-Wolfasaur

Does chicopee have a knife ordinance? If not I don't see what the problem is. Also, even if they do, its probably just a civil infraction or some BS like that.

-Mike

Does chicopee have a knife ordinance? If not I don't see what the problem is. Also, even if they do, its probably just a civil infraction or some BS like that.

-Mike

The complete city ordinances are located here: http://ecode360.com/CH1214

I did a quick scan and could not find anything. I think the city has bigger fish to fry. I have lived here nearly all of my life and do not hear much about knives, although some poor guy was stabbed in a home invasion a few months ago.

can anyone tell me, due to my extreme confusion with MA's carry laws, confirm or deny legal carrying of any of these boot knives in my area?
:
http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-h-r-t-boot-knife-tanto-blade

http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-military-boot-knife

http://www.opsgear.com/collections/knives/products/smith-wesson-tactical-boot-knife-black

any help would be fantastic, greatly appreciated, and very helpful. And also, hello to everyone as I am a new member, so i'm sorry if this is not where i should ask this.

-Wolfasaur

I see that you're a new visitor.

I am not a lawyer; if you want real legal advice, hire a lawyer.

The general rule is that if it's not illegal, it's legal. Now, that being said, John Law may have some concerns about why a law-abiding citizen would need a boot knife...

Speaking of "need" for a boot knife....why do you want one? If it's "just because", then cool. But, anything like a weapon in Mass will be looked upon with fear and loathing by many; if it's really atypical (not many people have boot knives, after all) then prepare for more scrutiny.

it's merely for self defense. also i read over the articles that VetteGirlMA linked, and found nothing concerning my area... time to don the spartan armor. ill buy a leonidas replica and sharpen it. and simply reply "its a costume piece". as long as i am not behaving in a manor deemed threatening to society, i should be fine. thank you guys for the info and opinions. i can finally go to sleep.

That is what the law says so it's reasonable to go by that. Unless there is case law someone can site to the contrary. An LTC is a de facto weapons permit.

Mass issues a License to Carry Firearms, but it's still illegal to carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle, even with an unrestricted A firearms license.

I think that has more to do with protectionism that a loaded shotgun could accidentally fire in a vehicle.
Same with having a gun unloaded when storing locked in trunk (at least in NH)

I think that has more to do with protectionism that a loaded shotgun could accidentally fire in a vehicle.
Same with having a gun unloaded when storing locked in trunk (at least in NH)

Nope, it was derived from deer jacking while driving that resulted in the no loaded long guns in a vehicle law.

I was lucky enough to work property maintenance in Springfield for 6 months, with a SOG seal pup on my belt. I was visited by 8 police officers because the neighbor thought I was trying to break in to the house I was at. I was actually there to put plywood over the windows and doors. When they asked what I was doing, I clearly explained and showed my DL and LTC. they didn't bother to ask about the clearly visible sheath at my side.

So, having looked at all this stuff, are Balisongs legal to carry in MA? I see a lot of references to switchblades and ballistic knives in the carry sections, but nothing expressly mentioning a Balisong/Butterfly knife. Any thoughts/experiences?

Back
Top Bottom