Mass hunting laws

I have no knoledge of the hunting laws in MA, I have never hunted before but I want to.

What type of gun can you hunt deer with? Can you use an SKS (biggest cal rifle I own)?

Where do I get a permit? What are the rules? What gear must I get?

Remember, I know NOTHING about the subject.

I don't know Mass law, but, from an ethical standpoint, the 7.62x39 is big enough to take deer with.

I've carried an SKS before, and actually used my AK last year in the woods.

You might have to block the mag on the SKS to comply with state law, though.

I have no knoledge of the hunting laws in MA, I have never hunted before but I want to.

What type of gun can you hunt deer with? Can you use an SKS (biggest cal rifle I own)?

Where do I get a permit? What are the rules? What gear must I get?
MA only allows deer hunting with a bow, a shotgun (slugs or buckshot), or a muzzle-loader. You can't use a breech-loading rifle to hunt deer in MA. You need to get a hunting license -- they are sold at most sporting goods stores. You must wear a hunter orange coat/vest and hat.

Read the MA hunting/fishing abstract here: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpdf/dfwab06.pdf

I strongly suggest, or rather beg, that you take a hunter safety class (since I'm likely out in the same woods as you). Also, realize that you may well be hunting for years before you get a deer.

You'll also need to have a valid F.I.D card. You can't purchase a hunting license unless you have taken a hunter safety course.

You can't purchase a hunting license unless you have taken a hunter safety course.
That used to be true. But I believe that Chapter 180 of the 1998 laws changed that and a hunter safety course is no longer required.

Last I knew you definitely needed a safety course, hunter not gun to buy a license. Even if you only plan on bow hunting. No rifles for deer, bow with a draw weight over 40 lbs (I think), and a single barrel muzzleloader not larger than 54(?) cal. The laws are not that complex so it should sort itself out pretty quick. When you find a hunter safety class make sure you sign up quick because they usually fill up fast.

The links are good, and the statements are right.

Also, you have to show since '98 a course certificate or a past hunting license. Didn't have to before.

If you take a course, the upside is that it applies in other states that require them or some places outside the USA. I have hunter's licenses and I never took a hunter course since I had them earlier. Just happens for general interest I took the bow one about two weeks ago.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom