• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass guys with LTC's... do you carry .45 or 9mm?

I don't think magazine capacity is quite as important as everyone thinks it is. Magazine swaps can be accomplished fairly swiftly, if you train for it. You do carry a spare magazine or two, correct???
I have read that most auto gun failures are due to bad mags. If that's true then having a spare mag would be better than having just one with 15 (NH) rounds. That said I am guilty of only having one in the gun sometimes... :(

I carry a compact but not a sub compact 9mm because I can control it very easily. I have a 1911 and even in the woods I still carry the 9mm though I have been tempted to try carrying .45, it just doesn't feel right when it's holstered.

I don't think 45 is going away any time soon but for carry purposes I think the 9mm platform is more preferred. 45 Compact models limit capacity and barrel length (assuming LTC folks don't want a full size 40 oz gun on their belt). The 45 is already moving pretty slow from a 4/5 inch barrel so reducing it may effect bullet expansion/penetration. With the 9mm platforms today you can get 10 rds in a 20 oz small package. At home it's 45acp for HD but when mobile it's mostly 9mm for SD.

I don't think 45 is going away any time soon but for carry purposes I think the 9mm platform is more preferred. 45 Compact models limit capacity and barrel length (assuming LTC folks don't want a full size 40 oz gun on their belt). The 45 is already moving pretty slow from a 4/5 inch barrel so reducing it may effect bullet expansion/penetration. With the 9mm platforms today you can get 10 rds in a 20 oz small package. At home it's 45acp for HD but when mobile it's mostly 9mm for SD.

Lol at 800+ fps most decent 45 carry loads expand just fine. A G30, XDs, etc, will stop bad guys just fine. Is there a big advantage? probably not, but it’s still viable.

For 45 you just need the right loads out of a small gun. Critical Duty +P 220 or Win Ranger RA45T work great out of even 3.5in .45’s.

Lol at 800+ fps most decent 45 carry loads expand just fine. A G30, XDs, etc, will stop bad guys just fine. Is there a big advantage? probably not, but it’s still viable.

For 45 you just need the right loads out of a small gun. Critical Duty +P 220 or Win Ranger RA45T work great out of even 3.5in .45’s.
Is +P necessary? I worry about that stuff lol

Is +P necessary? I worry about that stuff lol

It's not going to hurt any modern gun. And the CD 220 load isnt stupidly hot, I would be surprised if its even in the high 9s.

The RA45T load I mentioned is standard pressure, but likely just barely. It still will post up 850 or so out of a G30, which is cruising for a 230gr load.

The most insane +P .45 factory load is the Rem Golden Saber 185 +P..... that sumbitch is around 1070-1100 FPS and throws nice big fireballs.

It's not going to hurt any modern gun. And the CD 220 load isnt stupidly hot, I would be surprised if its even in the high 9s.

The RA45T load I mentioned is standard pressure, but likely just barely. It still will post up 850 or so out of a G30, which is cruising for a 230gr load.

The most insane +P .45 factory load is the Rem Golden Saber 185 +P..... that sumbitch is around 1070-1100 FPS and throws nice big fireballs.
I knew I liked the Golden Saber for a reason!

You do carry a spare magazine or two, correct???
Two? No. The overwhelming majority of defensive gun uses are 2.5-3.6 shots depending on who you ask.

I usually have a 15-17 rounder in the gun (unless I am carrying the LCP II) and a spare of some sort just in case of a mag failure.

But I wouldn't both with two spare mags, the weight isn't worth it to me for what is an extreme edge case.

Carried a Beretta Jetfire in 25 ACP for a long while - I had it and could conceal it easily.
The gun you have is infinitely better than one in the safe.
I know Ayoob is not very popular around these parts, but IIRC he wrote " a 25 is a nice thing to have when you don't have a gun"

When I was young and stupid ( now I am just old and stupid) I had a Raven 25ACP that was easily hidden... I could not always hide my preferred carry guns at the time, but the little 25 was better than nothing in and around Dudley Station

Glock 21 45 ACP all day year round.
Although, I'm in NH most every weekend, I've been mixing it up as of late.
I've been wearing my S&W 627 at my 9:00 and my S&W 19 Snubbie at my 6:00.
Both .357 Mag. That 627 sticks out from under my shirt sometimes like a prehensile tail.
In Mass some one would scream, but in NH it doesn't matter.
I found theses pic's taken sometime this Summer. My Mass 45 ACP Rig.
NH Storage ain't Mass Storage, If my Grandsons are coming up for the weekend I lock'em up,
Mass style, otherwise I let'em hang.

1633564919056.png

My NH .357 Magnum Carry

1633564968736.png

I thought corbon was the craziest?
20211006_194732.jpg

Normally pocket a 380. stopping power ehhh.
When I can wear a jacket/ sweatshirt I carry a full size .45

"Oh, an aristocrat" ( Curly from the The Three Stooges )

That right there is a classy carry gun for when you care enough to give the very best.
View attachment 530087
I always wanted one but I hate that sig 1911 slide. Settled for a Springfield compact. That emperor scorpion carry fastback on the other hand....

Last edited:
The 45 is already moving pretty slow from a 4/5 inch barrel so reducing it may effect bullet expansion/penetration.
The ammo matters far more than the barrel length. There are rounds that will reliably expand from a short barrel and ammo that will not reliably expand from a long barrel. Just do your homework. FWIW I have 230gr Golden Sabers in my G30.

Glock 21 in for-tay five at work (their choice, not mine), G45 in 9mm off duty (all personal handguns in 9mm for commonality). But to each their own, you do you.

Back
Top Bottom