Mass Gun Laws re: transporting long-guns

Bill Nance

Banned
You really have to see this to believe it.

Mass. laws are so convoluted...

From the Mass. State website:
Q: Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?

A: No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.

The MGL:

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

So I need to transport my SIG 556 or my Mini-14 in a locked case. But my Winchester 30-30 doesn't require this.

How the HELL does this make the slightest sense? Oh, and BTW I had to read this about 3 times before I caught the "large-capacity" portion. Easy to miss and the penalty is mighty stiff.

Sweet Gawd Almighty this State sux! -Counting the days until we can move.

Just to be safe when I transport any of my guns i lock them in a hard sided case. Theres a lot of misinformation out there and some LEO's that are bound to be misinformed about transporting firearms.

Just to be safe when I transport any of my guns i lock them in a hard sided case. Theres a lot of misinformation out there and some LEO's that are bound to be misinformed about transporting firearms.

Good idea. You are not legally required to case and lock non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, but it is still advisable to do so. Especially if you keep in mind that you cannot leave any guns unlocked in your car if you leave it unattended for any amount of time.

I lock in a hard case too, regardless of high vs low capacity (I didn't even realize that difference until now). I have soft cases too, but I'm not sure if it would be legal to lock a soft case, so I don't. (I'd prefer to use a soft case if I could simply because they take up so much less room.)

Perhaps the law is worded to dissuade shooters with high capacity only. In order words, something of small capacity would have the user run out of ammunition which would lessen the casualties and allow that user to be brought down by responders vs. something of large capacity which would hold off those responders and inflict more nun/baby/children/oppressed_ethic_group killings.

OR

Large capacity firearms being of the caliber of firearms not lessened in limited capacity are legally capable of logistically leveraging less than the larger capacity of legally owned full capacity select fire firearms in that capacity. Therefore less than large capacity items should be rendered no capable by removal from the immediate area, while larger than generally legal items need to be rendered in a capacity that removes them from culpable hands.

OR

Lollipop lollipop, Oh lollli lolli lolli, lopplipop lollipop...

Either way all of those definitions make sense under MGL.

As far as the transporting goes, what are the limitations on where, when, and why you can transport them. For instance, can you bring it to show a friend at their house? Do you have to be on the way to a range/hunting area? Can you drive around anywhere you want with a small capacity shotgun? Do you have to inform the police officer where you are going and is it up to his holiness to determine wether or not that is a valid reason or destination to transport one?

Good idea. You are not legally required to case and lock non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, but it is still advisable to do so. Especially if you keep in mind that you cannot leave any guns unlocked in your car if you leave it unattended for any amount of time.

how does a locked trunk satisfy storage requirements in terms of a person stopping at the grocery store on the way home?

Why does everyone find the MGL on this subject confusing?

It should be clear that any rifle holding more than 10 rounds is an Assault Weapon and as such is FAR more dangerous than a lever action.

[rolleyes]

how does a locked trunk satisfy storage requirements in terms of a person stopping at the grocery store on the way home?

The opinion of the EOPSS is that a locked trunk is considered a 'locked container' for the purposes of 131L. If you are paranoid, keeping the gun in a locked case or with a trigger lock on it within the locked trunk would satisfy 131L beyond any doubt.

As far as the transporting goes, what are the limitations on where, when, and why you can transport them.

There really are no state imposed restrictions on where, when or why for transportation of guns in a vehicle, beyond needing the appropriate license (or qualifying for a specific exemption). There is C. 266 § 121, which is a 'no trespassing with guns on private property' law, but it requires you to have intent to "fire or discharge them," and requires the land owner to have asked you to leave. There are also a few hunting laws, (C. 131 §67,70) that could get you in trouble for having a gun in your possession in forested areas, but I'd be surprised if those were ever invoked for an unloaded gun being legally transported in a vehicle on a public road.

Last edited:
I tell all the people I give firearm safety classes to put all unloaded long arms in a hard case and put them in the trunk out of sight and out of mind.Avoid the BS and protect your expensive guns.

No, apparently any container made partly of glass is considered insufficient.

I always read it that the problem with the passenger compartment was the passengers. That the law was designed to not give any quarter to people who surreptitiously store their firearm as they get pulled over and other such scenarios where there would be question as to the intent of the possessor to not store, but to possess in a way that they could readily access it in case of emergency. I guess this brings new meaning to break glass in case of emergency.

No, apparently any container made partly of glass is considered insufficient.

I always read it that the problem with the passenger compartment was the passengers. That the law was designed to not give any quarter to people who surreptitiously store their firearm as they get pulled over and other such scenarios where there would be question as to the intent of the possessor to not store, but to possess in a way that they could readily access it in case of emergency. I guess this brings new meaning to break glass in case of emergency.

We're talking about 131L here, not 129C. A glass fronted gun cabinet, for instance, is perfectly acceptable for 131L.

The answer is that the whole thing is a gray area, but the EOPSS has decided trunk is ok but passenger compartment is not.

Last edited:
I lock in a hard case too, regardless of high vs low capacity (I didn't even realize that difference until now). I have soft cases too, but I'm not sure if it would be legal to lock a soft case, so I don't. (I'd prefer to use a soft case if I could simply because they take up so much less room.)

Same here. I have a Jeep Wrangler, and the hard case won't fit across the back, so it has to run standing on edge up across the console, bouncing around under my arm. Not nice. A soft case would allow it to sit behind the front seats (no back seat and no top in the Summer). This state stinks.

Not sure if you mean this as rhetorical or not, but a locked trunk (an actual sealed trunk, not the back of an SUV) does satisfy the MGL here.

Even if it has a hole to pass long items through between the seats or the seats themselves tilt forward?

Back
Top Bottom