MASS FIREARM SCHOOL WTF WERE YOU THINKING???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Public Affairs office at the came to the fire department and did a media briefing for us. The first thing the Lt. Col. Said was don't trust the media.

Guys, MFS are the good guys.

This x 1000. And I have only been there once. MFS has probably helped our cause more than all of the members of this forum combined.

See Post #28. MFS has more deals on Groupon and have had a huge influence on people getting their LTCs that I hardly think they deserve any shit. They're helping with what MA needs.

Absolutely - and they run a very respectable business which has proven time and time again that they do the right thing. I remember a thread where an NES'r was bitching about the temperature at their range, in mid winter. [thinking]. I would have ignored the post or told the guy he was a whiner. MFS responded respectfully and explained in detail why the range was cold, apologized and offered a re-reimbursement. It was like complaining that you got wet at a water park.

I think anyone that has issue with MFS should go back to their giveaway thread and pull their entry or add a few words to disqualify themselves.

I would gander that the big problem is the "press" got you to sign something. In that something what ever is on that tape is now there property and they have all the rights to do what they wish.
There's nothing good going to come from the press.
As someone pointed out don't talk to them just as much as don't talk to the police.
Next time the press or police want to talk about guns hand them a copy of the constitution.

The problem with the hard line "don't talk to the press" mentality is that it only serves to reinforce their argument. "See? Even gun owners don't have anything to say about [topic] because clearly our commonsense is right."

We have to accept the risk of talking or there's no possibility of a counterpoint being offered. Or, they'll go to people like Rosenthal or the Rat. We need to take the risk that they twist our words or we let people like them do the talking for us.

The problem with the hard line "don't talk to the press" mentality is that it only serves to reinforce their argument. "See? Even gun owners don't have anything to say about [topic] because clearly our commonsense is right."

We have to accept the risk of talking or there's no possibility of a counterpoint being offered. Or, they'll go to people like Rosenthal or the Rat. We need to take the risk that they twist our words or we let people like them do the talking for us.

No, you can't win talking with them and the WILL and DO edit out words/phrases so that the presentation fits their agenda. In truth, the police are LESS likely (than the press) to do that if you are recorded talking with them!

"No comment" is the best solution. They will spin anything said or not said to fit their objective. Also, like here, they will drag out archival footage, edit it to fit the need of the day.

And yes, they own (and can do as they please) with anything you give them or any interview you do with them. I don't recall any waivers . . . and I was interviewed by Hank Philipi Ryan back ~1990 about a time share scam I was (amongst thousands) a victim. I gave them an advertising/status tape created by the time share and wrote on it "return to me" and it was never returned either. My interview was broadcast and she chased down the crook in Holland. But my LE contacts in the FL AG office was most effective . . . they seized $9.8Million in stolen funds that was about to be shipped off-shore. So there are times you can use the press to your advantage . . . but on issues of firearms it is NEVER the case!

I would gander that the big problem is the "press" got you to sign something. In that something what ever is on that tape is now there property and they have all the rights to do what they wish. There's nothing good going to come from the press. As someone pointed out don't talk to them just as much as don't talk to the police. Next time the press or police want to talk about guns hand them a copy of the constitution.

I never signed anything when I was interviewed by a newspaper. I doubt MFS was required to sign anything either.

Why say anything to these asshat "reporters". They only "report" what fits their agenda. Tell them to foad. These interviews never end well for the subject. BTW does he sell them knives for my AR at his gs ?

Why say anything to these asshat "reporters". They only "report" what fits their agenda. Tell them to foad. These interviews never end well for the subject. BTW does he sell them knives for my AR at his gs ?

The purpose of the interview was to explain to the general public what the assault weapons ban was.

I described the bayonet as a knife because the fact is the average person would have no idea what a bayonet was... Without my clarification they would've probably thought it was a plasma laser disintegrator of some kind.[thinking]

Ever use photoshop to put one person's face on another person's body? Ever write something in pencil and then use the eraser on some words but not all? They take a 5 minute video back to the studio and edit the crap out of it until what is shown fits their message in a 30 second spot. No amount of phrasing or preparation will stop them from splicing sentences together, cutting off qualifiers, and making your words present their argument.

Think of it like quoting from a book to write an essay: Are you going to quote the whole book or just the snippets that support your argument?

Even if the interview is live (and they aren't), it will be twisted. The only way to win with the MSM is not to play into their hand: Do not give them content.

I guarantee you this clip will get dragged out every time guns are in the spotlight and they probably will never show it the same way twice.

Steve, I get that you were trying to get a message across. I just think that perhaps you overestimated your ability to control the message and here we are.

In other words you are saying that we've been defeated already.

No, not really.... what he's saying is you can't get a fair shake in the media most of the time without them doing a hatchet job on whatever you said, so trying to outmaneuver them is pointless. They can remove the context from whatever you say and essentially spin it to fit their agenda. If you're lucky it ends up being innocuous and mildly annoying; if you're not lucky, they end up casting you in a completely different frame of reference than which you spoke.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom