• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass BB gun and pellet gun laws

I went to Bass Pro yesterday and bought a Stoeger X20 in .22 cal. I can't believe how powerful this thing is. It certainly ain't the Daisy I had when I was a kid.

yes they come a long way........For some silly power check out some of the high end guns and big caliper air guns.
I have a bengamin discover high preasure pre charged air rifle. With 22 gn pellets its hard hitting. as yannci noted try http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/ also youtube and search edgunUSA for some nice stuff and good info

I know this is a really old thread but in reading and searching I didn't find anything newer than this, and didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic. I recently decided to get myself a pellet rifle and wanted to make sure I was 100% legally able to shoot in my back yard. The only state regulations are that you need to be over 18 and can't shoot across a road or path or whatever. BUT...I didn't find some town by-laws prohibiting shooting anything at all anywhere within the town. I'm lucky and my town is a green town and there isn't a single town-specific air gun law. I obviously didn't read all the regulations of all the towns in MA but I remember Lexington and Walpole were 2 that restrict any shooting of any sort. I feel sorry for any kid in any of those towns, seriously WTF?

I asked Mass Wildlife if I could shoot squirrels in my back yard with an air gun, and they said yes, as long as I have a hunting license and they're in season:

There is a gray squirrel season and yes you do need a hunting license. You may use an air rifle as there is no prohibition against using them on gray squirrels. There is no caliber or velocity either.

But now my wife has grown fond of them and started feeding them, so I'm out of luck.

Go look it up yourself if you need to. It's been posted before. Just because a gun has rifling does not a firearm make, in MA.

Truer words never spoken! My TC .50 cal muzzle loader is NOT A FIREARM in mass.......aaaaaand ......it is rifled. THe cop you spoke to is an asshat

First mistake

Why ask anyone if it is OK to something on your property. It is your property, do what you want.

Negative he did the right thing by checking.......the land may be privately owned.....however the game that is on it, or flying over it is public property and you must obey season, bag, and hunting implement regulations. You are dead wrong on this.

Last edited:
The King's deer......
exactly. There was a case in Connecticut awhile back where a woman was baiting and fencing in deer during the hunting season on her property then releasing then after the season ended to keep the deer away from hunters. She claimed private property. . Needless to say she was in violation....it goes both ways! I'll see if I can dig up the link

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom